logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pugetsoundmultimedia  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 5:17:55 PM(UTC)
pugetsoundmultimedia

Groups: Registered

I feel like vMix can already do this, but I am having a terrible time getting it to work. I have a video source that has a separate alpha channel (coming in as a second source). How can I get vMix to see the alpha input and use as a key for the source input?

I select the settings of the "source" and under the colour key tab I tell the key/fill input to be "alpha". Do I need to adjust any other settings to make this work properly? Am I supposed to do it the opposite way, selecting the "source" as the key/fill source for "alpha"?

I feel like I've tried all the different combinations but still can't get it to composite properly. Any input is appreciated!!

Windows 7 Pro
Source Input is from a 4K computer feeding a Blackmagic capture card being cropped by vMix to see only one 1920x1080 quadrant
Alpha Input is a VIRTUAL input from the same 4K computer feed also cropped by vMix
A third input (not mentioned in this post) is a from a video camera via another Blackmagic capture card

-Matt
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 27, 2016 6:45:54 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ pugetsoundmultimedia

Not sure I fully understand what you are attempting but if your incoming videos have an alpha channel, you should be able to easily identify whether vMix picks it up or not by overlaying the video onto another 'Input' source with one of the "Overlay" buttons (1,2,3 or 4) of your video input.
If the transparency doesn't show there, then the alpha channel of your video is not being seen by vMix and may have to be re-rendered to a format that will work with vMix.
Hope I have understood correctly.

Ice
djevo1  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 29, 2016 6:54:14 PM(UTC)
djevo1

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Yes vmix should be able to do this already. All you have to do is have your second source containing the alpha matte (i.e. black and white mask) selected as the fill/key input on the input you intend to key out. Make sure your input is also correct, try inverting the black and white portions. Last thing should be to enable the input (the one with color and graphics, not alpha) on an overlay channel, as icestream said.
thanks 1 user thanked djevo1 for this useful post.
pugetsoundmultimedia on 3/1/2016(UTC)
pugetsoundmultimedia  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 1, 2016 9:47:13 PM(UTC)
pugetsoundmultimedia

Thanks gang. I was excited when I read this hoping it would solve my problem.....unfortunately it did not. I feel like I am doing everything exactly as you have described, yet when I apply the Key/Fill channel to be the black and white rendering of the foreground....it just goes semi-transparent instead of fully opaque in the white areas. According to vMix support, keying like this isn't supported with virtual inputs. So I installed another capture card to avoid using a virtual input, same result. So at this point I feel like I'm stuck unless someone has another suggestion.

I tried the virtual set as well as the overlay method, both had the same result.
madness  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 10:49:24 AM(UTC)
madness

Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
I have been successful in using a motion video input as a luma mask for another video input. I just need to create a black & white motion video to do it like I want.

I can try to put together a short video demonstration/tutorial if this is what your after. Not sure how soon I could do it is the only thing. I've got a lot going on at the time being. Getting my PC reloaded after my windows 10 dual boot failure and prepping for an upcoming event.
pugetsoundmultimedia  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 11:17:59 AM(UTC)
pugetsoundmultimedia

A short video would be great, nothing fancy! Even a screen capture as you set it up is enough....no webcam or voice over needed I don't think. I can relate to being busy though and understand if you can't get something out right away. Setup for our shoot is on Thursday, IF there is any way to see something by then would be a life saver!!
madness  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 12:59:34 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

thanks 1 user thanked madness for this useful post.
pugetsoundmultimedia on 3/2/2016(UTC)
pugetsoundmultimedia  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:58:05 PM(UTC)
pugetsoundmultimedia

Thanks so much for this! I was able to recreate what you did and was successful. I do the exact same steps in my current project and I get undesired results. Can the luma matte be moving or does it have to be a still image? I kind of think my issue is that my source is 4K and I am zooming and positioning to each of the 1920x1080 quadrants for my three sources (Background, foreground - as a virtual input from the background, and luma matte as another virtual input from the background).

When I did your test, I was using all 1920x1080 sources. The full 4K cropped in to each quadrant and rendered out as 1920x1080.

Thanks again.

-Matt
madness  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 3:20:02 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

The way it is currently setup, the luma mats as pictures are fading between to provide some simulated movement. The import thing is white passes image data thru, Black Blocks, and shades of grey will pass various shades in between. Brighter grays more, darker less.

A grey-scale video should do the same as what I provided here. I used an animated video background loop as a lum mask, but it wasn't black & white. It was full color. I could see the effect on the main video output. It was like a mid-tone grey-scales.

I don't actually have a true Black, White, Grey-scale video to verify, but I wouldn't think the way Martin has this configured, that it would treat the luma input differently because its a video or straight image. A video is nothing more than a stream of image sequences. The photos method I used would be considered an image sequence. If you have a video you want to use for luma, perhaps you should try to export it as a series a frames for an image sequence, and see if it does indeed work better.

BTW, what are the undesired results? That might help in figuring this out. I'm not sure I understand what your trying to do.

My situation was to create a live animation border around multiple webcam inputs originally, but the mask was not animated as it is with my demonstration, So this was inspired from that experimentation as the natural progression. I will be doing something like this myself in April if I can get the mask video created. I'd like to do something like a water bubble floating through the air with smoothed edges. Might try using a morphing software to fill in between main images.
madness  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 2, 2016 3:30:04 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

BTW, I did actually try this with a video.
I recorded the output of the 3 luma images to an MPG file, and substituted it for the photos folder input, and it did work just as well.

One thing to consider. If you attach the luma mask to the video you want it to crop directly, it will move lock sync with the position of that content. If you want to zoom crop into that content, you will need to attach it to a virtual copy of that input, and then zoom on the original I believe.

Again, from my experience, I have done something similar without the masking with a single webcam. I rotated the webcam to a portrait mode, and zoomed in. I then made 2 virtual copies of that webcam input, and re-positioned so that I would zoom to the top 1/3 of the image, and also to the bottom 1/3. I can then use the Merge transition to slide from the top, to middle, to bottom of the same camera. I have then done a reverse luma to attach to my motion border, and then overlay that over the final camera output.