logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
djevo1  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 5:47:56 PM(UTC)
djevo1

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
One of our other members posted in the forum earlier, but I wanted to share as we just started our season and we have shot 2 episodes on VMIX. Take a look https://vimeo.com/153680194
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 9:55:37 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ djevo1

Certainly some very interesting things going on there!
Now I'm not up on what's happening in the VJ remix world, but I can't help but wonder what exactly is being "created" LIVE and what is "canned" in terms of the videos playing?
Undoubtedly, many of the visual effects are created outside of vMix, so I am curious to know about your set-up and who is actually controlling the "Show"?
Is it the VJ just doing his thing and someone else running vMix or is he doing it all?
Perhaps you can share some "behind the scenes" insights and challenges you faced to get this up and running and how vMix has helped in the process.
It looks very impressive and I wonder what your audience response has been like.
Keep up the good work guys.

Ice
djevo1  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 5, 2016 11:08:45 PM(UTC)
djevo1

So a little insight on how we do. We have the Video Dj that is playing the music videos in time with the audio as well as some of the effects. My primary studio operates off of 4 camera inputs, 1 being the DJs laptop hdmi output, and the other 3 being cameras. In my studio I typically have an operator that switches shots in vmix, but on the first episode I actually switch using a combination of the web interface and a midi pedal board. We used to use wirecast and switched to vmix because we wanted more features that didn't drive our cpu load through the roof. Our first season we had to each use three separate devices in order to record in stream as the cpu usage was so high. We also had issues having inputs not recognized which we have never had since switching to vmix. I believe one of the big hurdles to vmix was learning windows. All of us are heavy mac users; we edit on mac, we stream on mac, and our home servers are macs so we had to really get to know the windows way of doing things. This was very important problem because we have used prores as our editing codec, which isn't really supported well on windows. Our first episode footage had to be salvaged using a variety of tools when we recorded to prores through vmix and it took a while to find the best codec to use.

As far as hardware I run a custom rackmount PC with an 8 core Xeon processor and 5 BMD decklink cards. This ingests and process all my cameras and allows us to mix RTMP feeds which are sent from our 2 satellite studios in different locations in the U.S. We also use this to be able to bring in guests from other countries. The big thing for us now is wanting to be able to send the vmix audio output to other applications. We like the virtual camera concept but it is kind of useless without audio. Eventually we will convert our studios to all digital consoles and use dante to send audio, but until then that is our biggest problem.

So one of the things we are doing that is cool are the borders in those multiview scenes. We have a laptop connected to an audio feed that makes the waveforms and then we use the key in vmix to overlay it. The virtual sets are all vmix controlled.
djevo1  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 29, 2016 6:48:42 PM(UTC)
djevo1

Here are some images of the setup

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage