logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gergelias  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 6:10:17 AM(UTC)
gergelias

Groups: Registered

Hi, Could someone please let me know what would be the best settings in the recording setup to output the file for later DVD burning? I'm currently recording onto Mpeg 2 TS format at 720x576 but the output file is very large for a 1 hour recording (18 Gigs). Is there a way to reduce the file size?

Thanks
melody  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 2, 2012 9:19:24 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

hi gergelias,

at once, MPEG-2 TS is the best codec for a balance between quality and storage. you can reduce used storage by reduce video bitrate on recording, but it will affect directly the final quality on your dvds.

in my opinion, when you make a dvd, the file need to be encoded and if you try to preserve the best quality possible on recording your final result will be better.

in my case, i use MPEG-2 TS at 25MB/s and in productions with around 4 hours i need free storage between 40GB and 45GB.

hope it help, regards,

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
gergelias  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 5:33:33 AM(UTC)
gergelias

melody wrote:
hi gergelias,

at once, MPEG-2 TS is the best codec for a balance between quality and storage. you can reduce used storage by reduce video bitrate on recording, but it will affect directly the final quality on your dvds.

in my opinion, when you make a dvd, the file need to be encoded and if you try to preserve the best quality possible on recording your final result will be better.

in my case, i use MPEG-2 TS at 25MB/s and in productions with around 4 hours i need free storage between 40GB and 45GB.

hope it help, regards,

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc

Hi Melody, could you please tell me what procedure you follow to encode your Mpeg-2 TS files for DVD burning? What programs do you use?

Thanks - Gergelias
melody  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 3, 2012 6:16:04 AM(UTC)

well, i use adobe premiere to edit recorded file and adobe encore for dvd encoding, using dynamic link feature.
in my opinion, this is the best way to save quality on final result when you need to edit video and reencode it to dvd.

if you don`t need to edit the video file, just use "ConvertXtodvd" (http://www.vso-software.fr/products/convert_x_to_dvd/) it is a really great tool and not so much expensive to buy, or if you don`t want to pay, you have "DVD Flick" (http://www.dvdflick.net/) that is another very good alternative to convert files to dvd.

tip: more conversions, less quality. try to do less conversions possible to save quality on your productions.

regards,

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
gergelias  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 9:26:19 AM(UTC)
gergelias

Hi Melody,

I noticed that in another thread you requested the ability to use different codecs for recording and Martin posted a code for vMix to support all codecs. I wanted to ask you if you can recommend a codec for best video quality? I'm recording sermons, then editing in Premiere Pro, then using Direct Link to Encore for DVD burning.

Thanks - Gergelias.
melody  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 7, 2012 11:11:44 AM(UTC)

hi gergelias,

no doubt, x264vfw is in my opinion the best video codec BUT i don`t use it yet in the live productions due some long periods stability issues and improper settings. still testing for use it later. note you need a realy high end machine to use this codec. at the moment i use MPEG2-TS.

however, you have Lagarith Lossless and UT video codec suite. these are, in my opinion, the best quality and stable uncompressed video codecs. a lot of free space is needed.

don`t forget what martin says on that post "No support can be provided for the following configuration change. It is designed for advanced users who want to try new codecs with vMix."
it only works for vMix x86, not for vMix x64.

regards,

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
guztavo  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:54:23 PM(UTC)
guztavo

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Melody, Gergelias,

I'm starting using vMix on live basketball games. I need to save into a file to record on to a DVD and reproduce over a TV station. I tryied yesterday using DV Video Encoder, AVI PAL 50/25. The result was great, but i couldn't import the avi file on Premiere... actually, i could, but the quality was bad, and the last 25% of the audio was lost. I thought that was a codec problem but today i tryied in other computer with the same result.
Today, the basketball game was recorder on to a DVD but cause of the quality, the TV station will not be happy... so... if u where in my place, wich way you take?
Thanks and sorry for my english!
admin  
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:10:32 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

Would it be possible to upload a screenshot of the video in premiere so I can see the quality issue you are talking about?

Thanks,

Martin
vMix
guztavo  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:16:24 AM(UTC)
guztavo

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Martin!
Sorry for my delay... hope this weekend i will post screenshots.. as i told you in other post, the principal quality problem seems to be the camera, but i saw quality diferences between the full screen window and the recorded output (more quality in the full screen window)..
Regards!!