logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
syangwar  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:17:44 PM(UTC)
syangwar

Groups: Registered

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to use an actual switcher with vMix rather than use the computer interface?

What we would like to do is run a video switcher into the signal process to allow for live switching between multiple cameras for our live webstream of events. However, I just don't know if that is possible with a VMix setup. Anybody have any comments, advice, suggestions?

mh166  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 2:42:22 AM(UTC)
mh166

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
What do you have in mind when talking about "an actual switcher"? Do you want to have hardware buttons to press for changing inputs?

If so, this could be accomplished with some effort. Since vMix v4 brought us a new wonderful API (see the help, "Developer Information" >> "API"). So you could create an application thats getting a signal when you press a certain (hardware) button. Then it fires up the API-Request you want to send it.

So in order to use change to Input 2 you could press your button and the application you wrote will request http://127.0.0.1:8080/api/?Function=Cut&Input=2 – and hence you've cutted in Input 2.

Is this what you have in mind?
syangwar  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 9:27:45 AM(UTC)
syangwar

Well, I suppose that could work. However I am seeking a device that will allow to easily add multiple inputs, meaning more than two and they will be cameras to our webcasts. I just don't feel like vMix easily allows us to accomplish this compared to what something like a Tricaster can accomplish, I just don't have the budget to spend the $$ on a tricaster. So I am trying to figure out a way to accomplish it.
admin  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 10:48:16 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

vMix has a "Shortcuts" feature which allows you to assign a function such as switching to a camera
to a keyboard shortcut.

http://www.vmix.com.au/help2012v4/Shortcuts.html

These custom buttons can also be used from a web interface which can be accessed from an iPad or other tablet device:

http://www.vmix.com.au/help2012v4/WebSettings.html

Hope this helps,

Martin
vMix
fordry  
#5 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 12:11:59 PM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
As mentioned, there are the shortcuts you can setup but it sounds like you want more. Like a hardware switcher with a computer interface with the feature set that vmix has. Nothing like that exists for cheap, I'd say the closest thing to that would be the Blackmagic ATEM TV studio for $1000.

vmix is just a program, if you need more inputs then you need to add the inputs to the computer, whether they be blackmagic cards, tv tuner cards, firewire cards, or whatever. I don't know everything you are dealing with, but if you are doing SD video, I personally have used a Hauppauge wintv hvr-1600 and had very minimal delay, very very minimal, so if you are wanting to do live views for whatever reason, Hauppauge cards could be a cheaper alternative to Blackmagic.

I don't think there are any plans in the near future to add full blown switcher/input hardware to the vmix product line. The only hardware that exists is the tally light setup and that is through a third-party.
thanks 1 user thanked fordry for this useful post.
syangwar on 7/26/2012(UTC)
syangwar  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 26, 2012 3:17:28 PM(UTC)
syangwar

I actually like the Blackmagic option! Thank you. I just need to see how it will work into our workflow.