logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sinc747  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 4:44:31 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 195 time(s) in 161 post(s)
It's taken me a while to understand and get comfortable with audio inputs. Seeing you guys using the Behringer UMC404 on the January live show helped me understand how you think about audio.

So let's take this audio mixer concept to the next level. If vMix is accepting multiple audio sources, let's organize them like a traditional separate audio mixer. Let's change the GUI so that each audio input has it's own channel like on a real mixer. You can move the compression, EQ, gain, and even the gate and delay to the channel. This would be a great opportunity to add some auxiliary sends like on a real mixing board. These new aux sends would be really handy in setting up mix-minus for return audio in Skype.

It really is the next step in making vMix the all in one live video production tool.

That and NDI, of course!

- Tom
thanks 1 user thanked sinc747 for this useful post.
jhebbel on 1/20/2016(UTC)
jhebbel  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 7:18:48 AM(UTC)
jhebbel

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 14 post(s)
I've asked similar in the past, not a huge fan of the way audio inputs and channels are handled especially when like me your show format and entire production is changing on a use to use basis, and I got a lot of pushback for some reason.
admin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 8:22:10 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Hi Tom,

Could you explain in a bit more detail about what you're looking for as it sounds like it is already possible in vMix for some time.

For example, all audio inputs show up separately already in the audio mixer. When using ASIO you can also add each channel separately if you don't want
the two stereo channels together.
Second, each input can have its own effects setup including EQ, Noise Gate, Compression and Gain.

http://www.vmix.com/help16/AudioSettings.html

Finally, vMix does have two Aux Busses, they are the A and B buttons underneath each of the mixers (with M being "Master")

http://www.vmix.com/help16/Mixer.html

(See the bottom of the above page about "Audio Busses")

If you have suitable ASIO hardware or spare outputs on your sound card, you can route these through Audio Settings
and set up independent Mix Minus mixes if you like.

http://www.vmix.com/help16/AudioOutputs.html

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Martin
vMix
sinc747  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:54:57 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Martin,

This is not necessarily a new feature, but rather displaying the inputs in the Audio Mixer in a different format so that visually they look more like a traditional mixer set up.

More like this (below) where each input is a vertical channel in the mixer with virtual knobs for gain, compression, EQ, aux, balance, and a slider for volume, etc. More complex settings could be seen by right clicking a channel or maybe there is a settings icon (cog) in the channel to open a deeper settings menu. The most common settings would be displayed on the channel as default.

In this way, the audio controls are displayed in a way that is more easily understood to folks moving into the video world from the audio-only world. And the learning curve gets flatter.

But, hey. I understand you have a fixed schedule for 17 and I would never want to sidetrack that. This Feature Request is for the Big Pot of Ideas for the future. But I am loving the idea of all audio sources coming into vMix as individual inputs and not being premixed in a separate mixer.

UserPostedImage
sinc747  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 20, 2016 3:56:29 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

jhebbel wrote:
I've asked similar in the past...

I looked for a past feature request to add my comments to, but must have missed yours. Sorry.

- Tom