logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jammerxd  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 25, 2015 2:19:47 AM(UTC)
jammerxd

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hello,
I have my own arduino project that uses LED strips(RGB) with mosfet transistors that are plugged into the arduino and the arduino acts as a command line interface through the usb to control the LEDs(fades, strobes, colors, etc...). I am also streaming the development of the desktop application which adds an user interface to control the lights rather than having to type commands in. But VMix keeps taking control of the Serial Port that the arduino runs on(arduino MEGA 2560). How do I disable VMix's access to the COM Port so I can develop my application on a stream and more importantly permanently?(Port closes and opens constantly). It seems really dumb to have that as a feature that can't be disabled by a checkbox.

Thank you,
jammerxd
Mathijs  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 6:47:58 PM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
Normally when you connect a arduino to the vmix system over USB, it will act as a tally interface using a blank unprogrammed arduino. It works out of the box, really easy for most of the users.
I agree it would be a nice addition to be able to select the rs232 port to connect to, with auto as a standard value so it remains as-is for the rest of the users.
I only wonder why you don't add an ethernet shield to the arduino and control it over tcp?
At least in the mean time, this would be a good workaround for you.
jammerxd  
#3 Posted : Saturday, January 9, 2016 12:39:05 AM(UTC)
jammerxd

I would if I wasn't using my ethernet port for internet already. I don't have a hub and have no intention of adding a hub to my system. Also, shields are expensive and I am not willing to spend an extra $40 on something that isn't my fault. This is a must-have feature that any developer would know to include in their application off of the bat(I'm a software developer myself so I speak from experience).
Mathijs  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 17, 2016 10:36:54 AM(UTC)
Mathijs

Was thanked: 81 time(s) in 72 post(s)
I hope they will intend to change it for you, otherwise this discussion is stuck right here.
For you, this is a must-have feature. For them, you might be the only one having this issue, without any intention to make a simple workaround.

Also, I don't understand your need to offend them in every post. "It seems really dumb to..", "This is a must-have feature that any developer would know to include in their application off of the bat"

If someone starts communicating with you like this, would you help out?
jammerxd  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2016 1:47:35 PM(UTC)
jammerxd

I do a lot of freeware software development for small online communities and user control is a big part of the work I do. If they can give you the option to wait to install updates, they can give you the option to disable the COM Port features. Considering vMix costs anywhere from $250 to $1000+ depending on which license you purchase, that is a relatively nice post compared to the other feedback I get from the online communities since I don't get paid for doing that where as this, I have to throw a giant ball of money at to use. So yes, I would definitely help seeing as that's what I deal with on a regular basis. However the only work around I have found thus far is to open my COM Port first(before launching vMix). I guess that will have to do until a more convenient option comes into play.