logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mjgraves  
#21 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:39:29 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
I agree that a legend may not be required of sensible color codes are used. Here are a couple of mock-ups that show the meters just inside or outside the current program window.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Note that I've not adjusted anything about the current vMix UI. I've just created a skin for the Darkwood meters that completely removes the background. I've then adjusted the meter configuration to make them fit the vertical reality of the program window.

I prefer the extended range level meters. They reach down to lower levels (-60 db) which can be useful at times. I think that there's enough vertical space to accommodate that capability.

Michael Graves

Bardos59  
#22 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 1:01:40 PM(UTC)

Groups:

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I like this......in this case,the meters' window is floating, which means it can be placed anywhere the user wants.
wwdv  
#23 Posted : Thursday, January 14, 2016 6:05:42 PM(UTC)
wwdv

Was thanked: 21 time(s) in 15 post(s)
mjgraves wrote:
I've then adjusted the meter configuration to make them fit the vertical reality of the program window.

When using a 4:3 monitor there is no free space to the right of the program window.
I placed the extended range meter below the program window because I don't use the playback functionality.
A floating meter would be ideal.

mjgraves wrote:
I've just created a skin for the Darkwood meters that completely removes the background.

How did you make that skin?
thecloudmediagroup  
#24 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 4:23:21 AM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Since my background is heavy in audio, my go to is always ProTools. This is what I am used to both in color,notches, RMS level indicator and base number at the bottom. Something similar to this wouldbe nice. I'll do a more in depth mock up.

UserPostedImage
mjgraves  
#25 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 11:54:43 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

wwdv wrote:
mjgraves wrote:
I've then adjusted the meter configuration to make them fit the vertical reality of the program window.

When using a 4:3 monitor there is no free space to the right of the program window.
I placed the extended range meter below the program window because I don't use the playback functionality.
A floating meter would be ideal.

4:3 monitors are fading fast. Almost can't buy them anymore. It's a pity because they're much better for the kind of tri-monitor, rotated arrangements that I like.

I especially like the meters overlaid in the program video. Takes zero extra screen real estate. Conceptually, they could be put into the bar at the top of the program display as follows:

UserPostedImage

In the Darkwood meters spacing = -32 and width = 10.

wwdv wrote:
mjgraves wrote:
I've just created a skin for the Darkwood meters that completely removes the background.

How did you make that skin?

Darkwood designs extended range meters uses 24 bit BMP files for skins. There one reserved color that's treated as transparent, very much like a GIF. The installation comes with a guitar skin that highlights this. All I did was take the vertical.bmp file and flood fill it with that color.

UserPostedImage

In the blog post where I shared my initial experience using the meters you can see a frame from a Hangout that incorporates a mono, horizontal meter into a custom lower third.

That's vMix layering a webcam, PNG graphic and shared portion of a desktop.
thanks 1 user thanked mjgraves for this useful post.
wwdv on 1/16/2016(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup  
#26 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 1:02:09 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but it would be helpful to increase the refresh rate of the audio meters. It's hard to get a true sense of metering when it updates only a few times a second. Not sure how GPU intensive that would be to get it refreshing maybe 30-60 times a second.

Also might be nice if it can fit without getting cluttered but have you thought of having a gain reduction meter on the mains or all the audio channels? It's nice to see how much the compressor is hitting to get a sense of compression. In many setting we do not have someone audibly monitoring audio but visually. If the compressor is being pushed very hard, it would be nice to see that at a glance. Currently there is no way to see how much compression is being applied to a channel or to the mains.
mjgraves  
#27 Posted : Friday, January 15, 2016 9:11:19 PM(UTC)
mjgraves

Man
United States

thecloudmediagroup wrote:
I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned but it would be helpful to increase the refresh rate of the audio meters. It's hard to get a true sense of metering when it updates only a few times a second. Not sure how GPU intensive that would be to get it refreshing maybe 30-60 times a second.

This is one reason why I though there might be an advantage to incorporating the metering into the program display. It could be updated at the same rate as the program display itself.
stevespaw  
#28 Posted : Saturday, January 16, 2016 10:39:01 AM(UTC)
stevespaw

Man

Was thanked: 75 time(s) in 57 post(s)
I do like the idea of putting them horizontally in the title bar. That makes a lot of sense, I am not sure how hard that would be.

+1

Steve
Digitalson  
#29 Posted : Monday, January 18, 2016 12:26:00 PM(UTC)
Digitalson

Groups:

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Honestly the meters are not very important in the main screen ,they would be better in the ext display ,,,also brings up another question ,is there a way to remove the preview and program views from the main screen ,since they are on the second monitor ? As a option of course