logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
pcrisp  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 2, 2015 8:52:20 AM(UTC)
pcrisp

Groups: Registered

I know that there is a basic overview of what is required to run 4 channels of HD Replay at:

http://www.vmixhd.com/re.../SystemRequirements.html

But we are looking to build a computer that would be in the "better than necessary" category. I have emailed with Kimberley there at vMix, but the only reply she has concerning CPUs is that it needs to be a Quad Core 4Ghz, which would most likely mean an i7 chip.

What's the thoughts on a dual Xeon system or the 8 core i7 running at 3Ghz? The 4 core is obviously a total of 16Ghz and scores a 11,239 CPU Mark, but the 8 core is 24Ghz and scores a 16,020… but then it costs $700 more than the Quad 4. A similarly priced (compared to the 8 core i7) Dual 6 Core Xeon chipset would total 38Ghz and score a 23,538 CPU Mark, and you're getting server quality chips. Any thoughts on if any of those ideas are better, overkill, worse, or no benefit?

As for the graphics card I think we will be getting the NVidia GeForce GTX 980 which blow the doors off of the recommended 760. Any thoughts on that?

Otherwise we will be using Crucial SSDs and Blackmagic cards for the ins/out.
Kibim  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 21, 2015 5:57:49 PM(UTC)
Kibim

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I'm running a dual Xeon 2.4 with an Nvidia Quadro 2000 and 2x striped 7200 rpm drives. At 50mbps, it runs okay ... not great, but okay. Higher than that, i get stutter on playback, but it's just the drives. I will add another 2 drives to the raid array in the morning, should fix it right up.
g-mo  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2015 5:16:11 PM(UTC)
g-mo

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
i7 machine w/ 32gb ram

OWC SSD drives

Plays back perfectly smooth.
pcrisp  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2015 8:47:57 PM(UTC)
pcrisp

We actually ended up getting an HP with Intel Xeon E5-1650v3 3.5Ghz with 8GB RAM, GeForce TX 980TI graphics card with 6GB of graphics memory, and striped Crucial SSDs for capture. System works awesome, just wish we could add more than 4 sources because it could easily handle a couple more with no issues.