logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
GeorgeR  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:12:47 AM(UTC)
GeorgeR

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 30 time(s) in 28 post(s)
Dacast recently published an article, "How To Stop Computer From Overheating While Live Streaming". Pretty interesting read.
What they suggest is to counter overheating your computer while streaming is to use a hardware encoders rather than rely on software. They do say however that software encoders are more robust in what you can acheive over a software encoder.
Thing is, I have not had any overheating problems using vMix when streaming. Or anything else. All of the bencmarks in my desktop and laptop stay are well within vMix's suggested limits. Those benchmarks suggested by vMix are, render time and CPU load. vMix suggests a render time of 20ms or less and CPU load of 70% or less.
In DaCast's orginial article post they named a couple of popular software encoders in this article. Those software encoders have since been edited out of their post.
As I remember, vMix was not named in the orginial post.
DaCast also suggests re-greasing some things in your computer. Next time I talk to my computer mechanic I'll ask him about that but it's something I'd ever try on my own (LOL).
Here's the link to the DaCast article if you'd like to read it http://www.dacast.com/bl...g-while-live-streaming/.
Cheers!
~George
jpeg2RAW  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:21:07 PM(UTC)
jpeg2RAW

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I almost always overclock my machines by about 15% and never have overheating issues. For the last few years, I have been using water cooling to keep the CPU cool. Modern water cooling systems make it almost as easy as the normal heat sink.

As for hardware encoding, would love to see more options. Back when we first started doing video for the podcast, we used Xsplit and it allowed us to offload the encoding process to an AverMedia C985 card (and others I think) which meant the CPU was barely used. Now that vMix allows hardware encoding using he GPU for streaming, I am hoping things keep heading down that path and we eventually could use cards like the AverMedia card for streaming and recording.