logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bas  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2015 10:36:32 AM(UTC)
Bas

Groups: Registered

Hi All,

I use VMix for a couple of day's now. (Using the demo version)
It's a great product and i consider to purchase.

But still i was looking for some opions to fit our needs. I saw that there were a lot of topics on this form, so forgive me when it's already asked and i could not find it.
In first we will use VMix to support our radiostation and give it a multiple webcam view.
We will work with four webcams. So great when we have a TV editor onsite. But we don't have always somebody available.

- Is there a way to let VMIX switch automaticly between the selected webcams? Is somebody working with something simular?

- Is it possible to add PHP code in titels? I tried some but didnt work out. I want to display the current played track in a titelbar or ticker.
we are running this in our players and website by using php.

- I saw a topic about scheduling: (http://forums.vmix.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=999&p=8) This is the solution to use pre-scheduled playlists?

I hope that somebody can help me in the right direction.
Thanks.

Best regards
Bas
Apeldoorn, the Netherlands.
Speegs  
#2 Posted : Saturday, November 21, 2015 7:34:12 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
Bas wrote:

But still i was looking for some opions to fit our needs. I saw that there were a lot of topics on this form, so forgive me when it's already asked and i could not find it.
In first we will use VMix to support our radiostation and give it a multiple webcam view.
We will work with four webcams. So great when we have a TV editor onsite. But we don't have always somebody available.

- Is there a way to let VMIX switch automaticly between the selected webcams? Is somebody working with something simular?

- Is it possible to add PHP code in titels? I tried some but didnt work out. I want to display the current played track in a titelbar or ticker.
we are running this in our players and website by using php.

- I saw a topic about scheduling: (http://forums.vmix.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=999&p=8) This is the solution to use pre-scheduled playlists?

Yes, you can write scripts in Vmix (.NET) that can be very easy or very complicated depending on what you want to do.

Or you can write scripts/code in something else that you already know how to use (PHP maybe) that does stuff via the Web API http://www.vmix.com/help...ex.htm?DeveloperAPI.html

Not possible to run PHP code in a title. However it's very possible to send data from php into a title via that Web API.

I'm not very knowledgeable on scheduling so leaving that for others in the forum who are :)

The API is your friend in all of these cases I think.

IceStream  
#3 Posted : Sunday, November 22, 2015 11:17:21 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Bas

In terms of 'AutoSwitching', there are a couple of options depending on your "needs".
I would recommend exploring the "Playlist" feature for simple 'timed' auto switches.
A second option might be the 3rd party app "vMix Audio Controlled Switcher":

http://forums.vmix.com/d....aspx?g=posts&t=3678
http://shop.njastad.com/...roduct&product_id=64

It looks to be a great app for the 'Radio Station' environment you are talking about.
The vMix Scheduler is also a 3rd party app that is indeed for a predetermined playlist of events (worth exploring, but not really an option for 'Live' switching, but certainly for re-broadcast during 'off' hours).

Ice
Bas  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 3:17:02 AM(UTC)
Bas

Thanks guys for your feedback.
Speegs solutions is for this moment a difficult one. I am not a .net programmer. But i will find someone later on. I need to search also somebody who can teach me more abot the Api.

You have interessting suggestions IceStream. I will work my way in the playlist option.
"vMix Audio Controlled Switcher" is realy interesting, but it's directly a headbreaker: How do i make this technicaly work...... at the moment our microphones goes to the broadcast table (mixer). The output of the table goes to VMix. In the new setting, the mics must run to Vmix first. Or we have to find out a way in our table to send a seperate signal to vmix. Anyway, good for some restless nights :-) But when we have a basic setup for now this is verry interesting to investigate and create.

When there are more or other suggestions, pleae let me know.
Speegs  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 10:25:19 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Bas wrote:

Speegs solutions is for this moment a difficult one. I am not a .net programmer. But i will find someone later on. I need to search also somebody who can teach me more abot the Api.

I'm not either, but have used JavaScript and Powershell to talk to the API mostly because I wouldn't want to install anything extra on the Vmix machine for the simple jobs I've done.

The API is not locked to any language. It's pretty much any language that talks the web :)

The language has to be able to fire a url. eg: http://127.0.0.1/API/?Fu...mething&option=hello

The language has to read XML to receive information from Vmix like which input is active etc.. (if it needs to check Vmix and not just blindly send)

Provide some more information about the PHP Code, maybe I could give you a head start.

That said if someone has already made what you want, like the scheduler or maybe you can just use the playlists and a couple of macros for instance. That would be easier :)

So while you can't add PHP code in a title.

You could run a php command/function that updates a title with a few extra lines of code.

Most simple example:

Say you have an title, it's in position input 1. You want to change it's text in the field headline of the title. This would be the code. Localhost is the IP address of the Vmix computer.

<?php
$newtitle = urlencode('This is my new title text here');
$apiurl = 'http://localhost:8088/API/?Function=SetText&Input=1&SelectedName=Headline&Value=';
$result = file_get_contents($apiurl . $newtitle);
echo $result;
?>

So you can get something complex via PHP (maybe a live data for the stock prices anything really) and pump it quickly into a Vmix title.

You can use PHP, the place you are running PHP just has to be able to contact the Vmix computer. Not a problem if running PHP on the Vmix computer, if not firewalls might need to be configured to allow your web server to send commands directly to VMix.

I would work the other way, get the vmix computer to pull information from your web server. PHP could be installed on the Vmix computer if desired (http://php.net/manual/en/install.windows.commandline.php). Personally I use powershell as it's built into Windows and the stuff I do is very simple (not hard to google some instructions), but I do wish to learn some .NET myself eventually now that VMix supports scripting.

My point, the web API allows you to easily change text in titles. The language used doesn't much matter at all. It's an ALL programming language solution. Could be a Macro/AutoHotkey, VBScript, PHP, Batch File (with Wget.exe), Javascript, Free Pascal, Python, GO or many others.

Hope this helps start the learning :)
Speegs  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 23, 2015 10:38:25 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Bas wrote:
Hi All,

How do you want to switch?

Based on audio levels Icestream mentioned someone has worked on that. I think there is a youtube video show it somewhere in the forum.

Could someone hit a button on an iPad or Computer in the studio? I have javascript example I can send that talks to the web API I used from iPad to allow restricted control of Vmix for a specific overlay controls. iPad was on the same LAN as the Vmix computer.

Eg:

Web page on your LAN, or Icon on desktop of computer in Studio saying "Show my Camera"

Studio A, Studio B, Studio C

Could it be that simple? Sorry need more information, but that would be easy to do via the web api.

Most radio stations usually would put the vmix computer into a rack somewhere I'd assume. However they almost always have a computer in front of the announcer most likely on the same LAN.
Bas  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2015 4:14:33 AM(UTC)
Bas

Speegs wrote:
Bas wrote:
Hi All,

How do you want to switch?

Based on audio levels Icestream mentioned someone has worked on that. I think there is a youtube video show it somewhere in the forum.

Could someone hit a button on an iPad or Computer in the studio? I have javascript example I can send that talks to the web API I used from iPad to allow restricted control of Vmix for a specific overlay controls. iPad was on the same LAN as the Vmix computer.

Ofcourse we have the VMix pc in the studio and we can create a page for a table. That should be not the problem. We have several PC's in the lan for DJ or sitekick.
But a want that the dj's won't bother abouth switching cams. They must do their job: making radio :-) So therefore the playlist option should be solve the problem: switchings cams automaticly.
When we have bigger events we will use a director who will switch cams manualy.
Speegs  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2015 4:40:35 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Bas wrote:

Ofcourse we have the VMix pc in the studio and we can create a page for a table. That should be not the problem. We have several PC's in the lan for DJ or sitekick.
But a want that the dj's won't bother abouth switching cams. They must do their job: making radio :-) So therefore the playlist option should be solve the problem: switchings cams automaticly.
When we have bigger events we will use a director who will switch cams manualy.

Sound activated or timed switching is right for what you want.

If you need more control on the timing and syncing with some other action in the studio, I guess then you could head back to the API for that. Imagine syncing switching when the DJ changes songs for instance and if the nobody changing songs, then after no activity goes back to a default input/camera. That is where you might want to use some scripts and the API.

The API is pretty powerful and what you really need to think about is what will trigger the switches then work from that back toward Vmix.

If you have PHP sending a song name to your website however, would be pretty easy to add code to that existing PHP Code to update a Vmix title via an API Call as well as your website. Just food for thought.
Bas  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 24, 2015 8:14:37 AM(UTC)
Bas

Thanks again for all your info. First this week i need to install the extra camera's and start switching.
I will attach the Api later :-)