logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
geniusweb  
#21 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2015 2:44:30 AM(UTC)
geniusweb

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've got my Asus yesterday, I did upgrade to Win 10 Already and installed vMix free trial for now. I was able to get input to vmix from Gopro 3+ via BM Ultrastudio mini recorder via HDMI. However Ultrastudio management shows me 1080i 50, but I think I set camera to 1080p. I can't change it in BM software, but hope it is 1080p in real. In vmix at start I set 1080p 25fp and I am able to see the video, just don't know what is the real resolution.

CPU is at 3-4 % by using one camera - that's perfect. Do you think that Magewell eats more CPU?

I am really surprised by vmix's low using of cpu. In that case even Macbook with geforce 750 with 4 camera has to be good enough!
Speegs  
#22 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2015 9:46:57 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
geniusweb wrote:
I've got my Asus yesterday, I did upgrade to Win 10 Already and installed vMix free trial for now. I was able to get input to vmix from Gopro 3+ via BM Ultrastudio mini recorder via HDMI. However Ultrastudio management shows me 1080i 50, but I think I set camera to 1080p. I can't change it in BM software, but hope it is 1080p in real. In vmix at start I set 1080p 25fp and I am able to see the video, just don't know what is the real resolution.

CPU is at 3-4 % by using one camera - that's perfect. Do you think that Magewell eats more CPU?

I am really surprised by vmix's low using of cpu. In that case even Macbook with geforce 750 with 4 camera has to be good enough!

The BM Mini Recorder doesn't do 1080p 60.

https://www.blackmagicde...bolt/techspecs/W-DLUS-04

It tops out at 1080p 30 or 1080i 60.

Low CPU is good, start some heavy video encoding, standard recording and multi-corder then you will see the CPU go up some.

Magewell is roughly the same, I've never noticed any increase or decrease vs a BM Mini Recorder. I'm sure there may be a difference, but not that I've managed to detect or bother to try and find a way to measure the difference.

geniusweb  
#23 Posted : Saturday, September 26, 2015 10:01:00 AM(UTC)
geniusweb

Yes you are right but via hdmi I can't see option to set it on 1080p 25 or 30, only 50i.

Regarding heavy encoding, am I rigjt when I think I will not need to do that because through external output video will go to teradek bond II - hardware encoder?
Speegs  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2015 4:17:44 AM(UTC)
Speegs

geniusweb wrote:
Yes you are right but via hdmi I can't see option to set it on 1080p 25 or 30, only 50i.

Regarding heavy encoding, am I rigjt when I think I will not need to do that because through external output video will go to teradek bond II - hardware encoder?

I thought the bond just joined internet connections together, but I don't know if it encodes as well.

The vidiu definitely encodes and yes would not require heavy cpu for streaming.

The Magewell will do 1080p 60 if you are getting one. Other cards can do it too, but not the BM mini recorder which is frustrating as it's nice having Sdi and hdmi on such a small device and affordable too.
geniusweb  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2015 5:22:11 AM(UTC)
geniusweb

Bond II is device which combine both encoder and bond capabilities. Bond I was just a bonding machine without encoder (cube was needed). Vidiupro is something like Bond II but can use only one USB modem, so if you need more cellular connections to bond, you need to use iphones - and I don't believe that it can be stable by bonding mobiles phone's 3G/4G connections. However the price of Vidiupro is really the best - 1000 USD (Bond II is about 3,500 USD).

Btw. I returned my Asus already - it uses 19.5V and 9.23A - so not able to use additional battery pack (for example one produced by Lizone). For macbook pro I can use it so now it's totally clear for me - I have to use macbook, ordered already - I also made an agreement (just to be 100% sure) that I can give it back in two weeks without penalty.

On Asus 2 days ago I tried to use Multiview with 2 inputs (one gopro and second was HD Asus laptop's webcam) and GPU utilization increased to 40% (from 11%).

Speegs  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, September 29, 2015 10:42:35 AM(UTC)
Speegs

geniusweb wrote:
Bond II is device which combine both encoder and bond capabilities. Bond I was just a bonding machine without encoder (cube was needed). Vidiupro is something like Bond II but can use only one USB modem, so if you need more cellular connections to bond, you need to use iphones - and I don't believe that it can be stable by bonding mobiles phone's 3G/4G connections. However the price of Vidiupro is really the best - 1000 USD (Bond II is about 3,500 USD).

Btw. I returned my Asus already - it uses 19.5V and 9.23A - so not able to use additional battery pack (for example one produced by Lizone). For macbook pro I can use it so now it's totally clear for me - I have to use macbook, ordered already - I also made an agreement (just to be 100% sure) that I can give it back in two weeks without penalty.

On Asus 2 days ago I tried to use Multiview with 2 inputs (one gopro and second was HD Asus laptop's webcam) and GPU utilization increased to 40% (from 11%).

Thanks for the info on the Bond/Bond II. I have managed to avoid using them, mostly been using good 4G (LTE) Modem/Hotspot Single Device with external Antennas as required (when travelling, business fibre service @ HQ). If I can get 10mbit/s + all day in both directions I'm usually very happy.

You are very lucky you can return things because it's not quite right for your needs. My usual suppliers would insist I show/prove exactly how it's faulty before taking things back.

MBP would use less power, but that is to be expected although they are quickish, reliable, portable and sexy machines your Asus clearly had a bigger engine and extra USB ports :)

I hope it works out, I'm running Windows 7 64bit via Bootcamp. Win 10 works, but actually I just seem to like Win 7 for Vmix doesn't matter if it's running on Bootcamp or on a desktop PC for me Win 7 is marginally more predictable.

Germain  
#27 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:44:16 PM(UTC)
Germain

Hey Guys,

I have AJA Io 4K 4K and HD I/O for Thunderbolt 2 and Vmix now I want buy laptop which one can support HD live streaming and Live Recording kindly advice between

MACBOOK PRO 2013 15.4'' I7 2.3GHZ 16GB 512GB NVIDIA GE FORCE GT 750M 2GB DDR5

or

Asus ROG G751JL-DS71 17.3" Full HD i7-4720HQ 16GB 1TB 2GB nVIDIA GTX 965M

Plz advice.
sinc747  
#28 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2015 9:47:06 PM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
geniusweb  
#29 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 2:35:27 AM(UTC)
geniusweb

Hello Gemain, believe or not, I faced against the same dilema. At first, I bought Asus which you mentioned.
It's good computer and maybe better choice for you if you don't plan to have portable solution at all. I had to return this Asus as it uses very unusual electric power (9.25A) and I was unable to find external battery bank which can carry 9.25A. So I bought Macbok pro 2014, the same as you described but slightly better processor (2.5Ghz) - because for macbook you can buy Lizone 60000Mah battery bank which can power your macbook for another 2-3 hours during the streaming.

Asus is for sure more powerful, but it's really huge and it's not so easy and comfortable to wear it, to manipulate with that. But, if you really don't care about portability (probably not if you bought AJA Io 4K which is not portable and needs wallet outlet) go for Asus.

For me, only choice was Macbook as it can be powered via battery bank and have 2x thunderbolt ports so I can use 2x Blackmagic Ultrastudio mini recorder + 1x Magewell XI100 USB 3.0 - so 3x camera inputs at all.
Speegs  
#30 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 3:31:49 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Nice to see the MBP works for you.

Works for me also :) I'm also trying to be "reasonably" powerful, but portable and reliable, having 2 x thunderbolt 2 ports is handy. But more usb3 please apple and make a windows version of your laptop hahaha, would be a best seller!

They say you can't win them all, I agree. Still can't find the "perfect" Vmix laptop.
geniusweb  
#31 Posted : Friday, October 16, 2015 4:26:32 AM(UTC)
geniusweb

I will post new topic once I will have all the equipments. At this moment I tried MBP with only one mini recorder. However I started to use OSX for "sofa surfing" because it's really comfortable and don't need to use mouse and battery life is better :)

In Q4 Lenovo will start to sell Laptop with XEON processor, windows inside and 2x thunderbolt ports!!! :) However I expect battery life to be 1 hour :)
geniusweb  
#32 Posted : Thursday, November 19, 2015 4:36:30 PM(UTC)
geniusweb

Hello Speegs,

After some try outs I have found out that magewell xi100dusb is really batter device than BM mini recorder.
However it's usb3 and I have just 2x usb3 ports on my macbook. One will be occupied with another device so I have just one available. But I need 2x magewell XI100DUSB to use. So I bought Kanex thunderbolt to usb3 (+ethernet) reduction. So I killed one thunderbolt but I have 1 additional usb3 for another magewell. However video through magewell into vmix is not so smooth with using Kanex adapter. Did you realize it with using thunderbolt hub? Which hub do you use? Kanex adapter is not wall outlet powered which is great but video is not so smooth which is not acceptable for me :(

And by using two magewell at the same time, can you achieve also smooth 1080p 60fps videos in vmix?

Really thanks!
Speegs  
#33 Posted : Friday, November 20, 2015 10:34:30 PM(UTC)
Speegs

geniusweb wrote:
Hello Speegs,

After some try outs I have found out that magewell xi100dusb is really batter device than BM mini recorder.
However it's usb3 and I have just 2x usb3 ports on my macbook. One will be occupied with another device so I have just one available. But I need 2x magewell XI100DUSB to use. So I bought Kanex thunderbolt to usb3 (+ethernet) reduction. So I killed one thunderbolt but I have 1 additional usb3 for another magewell. However video through magewell into vmix is not so smooth with using Kanex adapter. Did you realize it with using thunderbolt hub? Which hub do you use? Kanex adapter is not wall outlet powered which is great but video is not so smooth which is not acceptable for me :(

And by using two magewell at the same time, can you achieve also smooth 1080p 60fps videos in vmix?

Really thanks!

Responded to this via private messages. I usually work with 1080i50 inputs. However I do use 1080p60 on gopros.

If I have used two go pros @ once directly to the MBP it's been by accident or just quickly testing something and not in production mode.

So I have not tested 2 x 1080p60 into a MBP.

I have tested 1 x 1080p60 and 1 x 1080i50 for long periods of time.

Also tested.

3 x 1080i50 + 1 x 1080p60 for long periods with the aid of a Belkin Thunderbolt 2 Dock to get the extra 3 x USB3 full speed usb ports.

I did do another input, but that is where my MBP ran out of grunt. It worked for about 10 minutes, but my cpu was to high so I put the 5th camera away :)

So with the Belkin Dock and a MBP:

4 x 1080i50 + 1 x 1080p60 works, all via Magewell capture devices works but the i7 quad MBP 2014 really didn't have the grunt to do that and encode my stream as well at "safe" operating levels.

My advice @ 4 inputs, put your laptop away and move to a desktop :) I also have a Desktop with 10 Inputs, 4 x HDMI via Magewell Card, 4 x SDI via Magewell Card and 2 x Aver Media. If something needed all those inputs I would use that instead. MBP is good on smaller jobs. 2-4 Cameras.

5 is "possible" but you are pushing your luck. I can not foresee any reason why you couldn't run 2 x 1080p60 signals in @ once considering I've run 4+ 1080i50 signals in without a problem. I have not tested that config, so geniusweb you need to do your testing. I'm saying in theory it should be OK. In practise, you need to try it and post back to the forum.