logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
calamityjane  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 4, 2015 2:45:10 PM(UTC)
calamityjane

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I think I have all topics covered with this subject heading!

1.I am using some graphic overlays from vMix Titler as a DSK on th ATEM. It is not elegant due to black background showing thru on the ATEM. Is there a conveneient way to avoid this black "leak" on the ATEM ? Should the vMix graphic be on a chromakeyable background and be the Upstream Key?

2.On my vMix scoreboard, I have read and reread IcesTeam suggestions. I am somewhat restricted because I only have vMix HD. I am wondering if there is a better approach than mine. I have my scorebug on the vmix program window. I then overlay 1 to 4 Penalty clocks based on the scenario. I have the penalty clocks set up using keystroke shortcuts I can set them for 2 or 4 minutes. Any other penalty situation, I am disregarding. (Poetic licence)
Ice ?

Thanks

Whit
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 2:34:04 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ calamityjane

Not sure how much help I can be with your ATEM issues (I'm not a big fan of integrating the two workflows as you lose so much of vMix's functionality, but you "gotta do what ya gotta do" and I get that).
I guess the best thing to do is experiment with different options to figure out what is gonna work best for you, my understanding is that the ATEM will give the best results with both a KEY and a FILL input, but I am not sure how you would accomplish that with vMix.
On the second point, what are the 'restrictions' you feel you have with vMix HD (other than perhaps an additional external output)?
The scoreboard and clocks in hockey are undoubtedly one of the most frustrating hurdles to deal with if you are not plugged in to the actual game clock (which usually only happens with high end broadcast productions).
I can't exactly remember what I suggested to you before, but I am pretty sure it was along the lines of "keep it as simple as possible".

My number 1 recommendation would be to isolate a camera on the entire scoreboard if at all possible and use multiple 'Virtual Inputs' to break it down and 'crop' into it's various components (Score/Time/Penalty clocks). This removes all of the complexities of having to manually 'keep up' with your own scoreboard clock which can be a headache at the best of times. The downside to this is that it may not be very graphically appealing or fit well into your graphics and may take considerable time to actually set-up before a game. There is also software that can assist with this, but that adds even more cost and complexity to your set-up.
The second suggestion is to go about it much the same way as you already have, using shortcuts and timers in vMix to 'mimic' the actual game clock. The complications arise when trying to deal with the penalty clocks. 80% of the time, you won't have to worry about more than 1 or 2 penalties, but you will have to have contingency plans for those times when 3 or 4 penalties come into being.

UserPostedImage

For me, the Scoreboard and game clock are on one graphic. The penalty clocks are separate, I have 5 different penalty clocks, but only ever overlay one of them and change the team highlight and penalty subscript accordingly (POWERPLAY/4 on 4/5 on 3 etc.). My shortcuts are designed to trigger subsequent start/stop functions of the clock before it, so I am always (knock on wood) in sync.
It is a slightly more complex set-up than I describe (as much of it is done with a couple 'Multiview' inputs and overlays), but that is the gist of it.
I've tried many different approaches and have found this to be the most manageable and effective when dealing with my own unofficial timers, but invariably, there is bound to be a screw-up somewhere and why I suggest off-loading that to an image of the actual game scoreboard if at all possible.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
calamityjane on 11/5/2015(UTC)
calamityjane  
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 11:12:28 AM(UTC)
calamityjane

Man

IceStream wrote:
@ calamityjane

For me, the Scoreboard and game clock are on one graphic. The penalty clocks are separate, I have 5 different penalty clocks, but only ever overlay one of them and change the team highlight and penalty subscript accordingly (POWERPLAY/4 on 4/5 on 3 etc.). My shortcuts are designed to trigger subsequent start/stop functions of the clock before it, so I am always (knock on wood) in sync.
It is a slightly more complex set-up than I describe (as much of it is done with a couple 'Multiview' inputs and overlays), but that is the gist of it.
I've tried many different approaches and have found this to be the most manageable and effective when dealing with my own unofficial timers, but invariably, there is bound to be a screw-up somewhere and why I suggest off-loading that to an image of the actual game scoreboard if at all possible.
Ice

Thank you, Ice, you are the Scoreboard Guru in the vMix field. I certainly appreciate your comments and advice.

The old "camera on the scoreboard" trick isn't very feasible in our rink, th damn time is much dimmer than the score digits. I will test my latest 4 Penalty clocks (which can function as either 2 or 4 minute) Friday night for our next home game. You can check out my main scorebug in my highlights from last week.HiLights

I have since centered the scorebug a little better.

I am just now assigning events on my Korg MIDI controller to trigger shortcuts in vMix.

We have an event coming up in Cornwall, if you have any suugestions for contacts for a camera person and perhaps P x P would be appreciated. still working out the details, like highspeed internet upload.

Thanks, and I am always open to suggestion.

Whit
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 2:14:54 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ calamityjane

You seem to have everything pretty much under control as your highlight package looks pretty good, although I'm not exactly clear on your set-up or workflow, I might be inclined to set-up things a little differently from what I can see, but maybe that's just me so I don't want to make suggestions that might not fit your needs or be feasible for you to do.
Are you using 'Instant Replay' or 'Video Delay' at all? With the luxury of multiple cameras, there is so much that can be accomplished with vMix in that regard, but the ATEM probably throws a monkey wrench into those possibilities...
The other question I have is if you have tried a game with your penalty clocks yet? That's the real test and you'll know pretty quick if it works well or not.
In terms of contacts in the Cornwall area, I can't really help you there (I pretty much stick to the GTA and rarely get east of Kingston so you are much closer than me).
Continue with all the good work and keep us all posted.

Ice
calamityjane  
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 6:37:05 PM(UTC)
calamityjane

Man

IceStream wrote:
@ calamityjane

The other question I have is if you have tried a game with your penalty clocks yet? That's the real test and you'll know pretty quick if it works well or not.
In terms of contacts in the Cornwall area, I can't really help you there (I pretty much stick to the GTA and rarely get east of Kingston so you are much closer than me).
Continue with all the good work and keep us all posted.
Ice

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement.

I opted for the ATEM to avoid mulitpl purchases of capture cards. Seems to be working okay.

I feed in 3 cameras plus my MSI gaming laptop. On the laptop I run;
vMix for the scoreboard
pregame interviews
promos and other videos
Social vmix with pre and mid game tweets
the scorebug
MXLight to

record and do replays
archive a file of the game in 1080

The things I would like to accomplish:
1. Ability to reset timer in 1 second increents with a slider on my MIDI controller
2. Create or purchase editable animated titles such as the soccer demos.

I was saying only vMix HD because I can't do scripts with that version. Not that I am a real programmer anyways.

Take care

Oh yes, what hockey games do you cover " CHL, OHL , ????

Whit

IceStream  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:29:06 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ calamityjane

I've been involved with the Whitby Dunlops Men's Senior Hockey club for the past several years, unfortunately, neither the team nor the league has the budget or the resources to pursue Multi-Cam live streaming at this time and so my opportunities to take advantage of vMix's wonderful features are greatly diminished on that front, but I like to keep abreast of things and be prepared to jump right in should the need arise. Most of the local Junior teams in the area have their own solutions for video coverage (if any at all), likely very much the same as in eastern Ontario. The OHL teams, as far as I know, are pretty much tied into deals with local cable stations and the like and so are more into higher end broadcasting.
Like you I have a passion for this stuff and I want to see it get better all the time, it's actually pretty amazing what can already be done... It's just frustrating when financial restrictions limit how far you can take it.

Ice
calamityjane  
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 5, 2015 9:43:04 PM(UTC)
calamityjane

Man

IceStream wrote:
@ calamityjane

Like you I have a passion for this stuff and I want to see it get better all the time, it's actually pretty amazing what can already be done... It's just frustrating when financial restrictions limit how far you can take it.

Ice

We work hard at our broadcast. We feed a 1080 signal to the computer/encoder and FME downconverts it to 720 fr streaming.

I record our game on a Hyperdeck Shuttle and give the SSD to our cable company and they replay our game on the following M & W in HD. In December we are going to try broadcasting our game (our equipment, our crew, our feed) live n their HD channel I told the boys it was the closest we will ever come to the big time.

Our goal this year, other then the migration to HD, was to have no dead air time. I script it pretty tight.

Thanks again

I am sure I will be back with some more questions

Whit