logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2015 11:34:38 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

I am trying to use a Zoom R16 digital audio Interface with VMIX, to get 8 balanced microphones into VMIX. Everything seemed to install OK, and the Zoom R16 ASIO interface appears in the list of selectable VMIX audio inputs. However it doesn't matter which of the inputs I select I get the error - "This ASIO device does not support the selected channel(s): Channel 0 (1) Maximum 0, BASS_OK"

Obviously the channel number changes in the error message depending on which channel I try to select.

The Zoom R16 supports 8 channels of ASIO input and 2 channel of ASIO output.

Does anybody have any Ideas, as just invested $300 in the Zoom R16 specifically because VMIX supported ASIO.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Best Regards

Keith
Ittaidv  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2015 10:43:03 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
I also have problems with the R16 in vmix, tried it with ASIO 4 all as well, sometimes this works, sometimes it crashes. I would be interested in a fix as well.
admin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2015 12:08:58 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Have you tried the latest software and firmware updates on the web site?
The error message is saying the device is reporting 0 available channels (the maximum number)
so there must be a configuration issue somewhere.
kgoodyer  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2015 8:54:31 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

I'm using V1.21 Firmware on the Zoom R16, and Drivers V2.0.0 both the latest builds from their website. It works fine with Cuebase 4 LE as an ASIO device. Not much open source stuff out there for testing ASIO, and I don't fancy trying to do a custom compile of Audacity to try it.

I have no idea how the ASIO API works but I am guessing either VMIX is not requesting the number of channels available the way Zoom support ASIO or the Zoom is not responding correctly. I was sort of presuming that as ASIO was a 'Steinberg' propriety protocol, everybody would be using the same ASIO library.

Martin (and I presume now a growing team) if you would like to look at this (or any other issue for which I have hardware available) I am quiet happy to stick machines on RDP / Teamviewer / VNC etc, for you to play 'hack the hardware' on.

EDIT: I just looked through the ASIO API documentation, and you cant realy get that wrong - so I am guessing there is a problem with the ZOOM ASIO driver. Although I just noticed that the Zoom R16 is reporting its set at 96Khz, and the Driver says its at 44.1Kz. Thats not right!

Ittaidv, The problem with ASIO4ALL is that it just wraps the ZOOM's 2 channel WDM output in a ASIO wrapper - you only get access to the 2 channel mix and the 2 channel return, not the 8 input channels (unless you have found something I haven't).

As I go live with the project on Friday, I need to find a Guaranteed method of getting 8 balance microphone channels into VMIX - any proposals of an interface with at least 8 inputs, and 2 outputs (Output not essential as I can just take an embedded output from the HD-SDI out). I got $$$ to spend fixing but don't like wasting money on a Rolls Royce, when a a push bike will get me there.

My current backup plan is to use a bunch of pre-amps into a pair of BlackMagic Audio Embedder's (which gives me 8 x balanced audio inputs across 2 HD-SDI inputs).

All The Best

Keith
admin  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2015 11:19:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4166 time(s) in 1497 post(s)
Download the following utility:

http://www.vmix.com/download/asioinfo.zip

Extract it and run the program.
It will provide some statistics on all the ASIO devices it finds, post the results here.
kgoodyer  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2015 11:35:41 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

SOLVED!!

OK here is the solution....

Go into control panel, SOUNDS, find the Zoom R16 output device (it will be a line in) select its properties, advance and set the sampling frequency to the one you want to use - 2 channels @ 44.1, 48 or 96 (i'v got mine at 48Khz).

MAKE SURE IT IS NOT THE DEFAULT PLAYBACK DEVICE - set that to something else

Now select the recording tab, and do EXACTLY the same selecting 8 channels @44.1, 48 or 96 (must be the same as the playback frequency)

AGAIN MAKE SURE ITS NOT THE DEFAULT RECORDING OR COMMUNICATIONS DEVICE - again set them to something else

Reboot the PC

and it will all suddenly work!!!

This fix also works for the Zoom R8 and Zoom R24 (For the benefit of people like me that may search out this post in future).

Thanks Martin - I actually had downloaded CEntrance ASIO Latency Test Utility, and realised that whilst it had communication with the device it was unable to get vital info returned. Then figured out that Windows Sound Manage was getting in the way.

EDIT: Had a few problems with stability, found its much more stable running as 32 bit floating point, as opposed to 16 bit Integer. However some VERY strange things happen to VMIX about 30 seconds into playing back Youtube videos with the Zoom as master output - the sound starts corrupting slowly, until its sounds like a 1996 dial up modem. Eventual VMIX crashes (not responding) and the only way to get out of it is by killing its process from task manager. Everything else looks and works OK. Also VMIX is not very graceful if the Zoom R16 is accentually disconnected (this is easy to fix with Epoxy Resin).