logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gmartin777  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 4:39:44 AM(UTC)
gmartin777

Groups: Registered

I'd like your opinions on the following kit as a portable solution for using vMix:

http://www.gigabyte.com/...ct-page.aspx?pid=5156#ov

Specifically:

1. Is the GTX 760 powerful enough to do 4-6 1080p streams?
2. I'm interested in bringing in multiple guests via vMix's version of Desktop Presenter and something like Oovoo or Skype. Assuming there's adequate bandwidth, is this going to be too taxing on the box?
3. I have three Magewell HDMI USB dongles. Too much on the USB bus for this box or will it be okay?

Can't believe I'm considering buying something called a "brick." But, the goal is to livestream events far from the office.

Thanks in advance!
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 26, 2015 10:59:05 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ gmartin777

A lot of mixed reviews from what I can see with the biggest cons being heat and noise, it gets hot so will throttle down under load and it is distractingly loud.
It certainly appears to pack enough power to do what you suggest but the concern would be, as you raise, is likelyhood of the "shared" bandwidth on the USB ports and if they can support multiple HD camera signals.
If this little powerhouse could somehow be fitted with a 'Thunderbolt' port I think it would rock with the AJA I/O 4K or an expansion box.
All-in-all, if form factor is the necessity, then you are unlikely to find anything as powerful per square inch, but there are trade-offs that you'll have to accept for that compactness, namely cost, expandability and possibly performance.
Of course, the 'proof is in the pudding' and it remains to be seen if the "Brix" is a viable small footprint solution for remote vMix applications.
My initial thoughts would be that a comparably configured laptop (with Thunderbolt) might be a better and proven option, but with these continual progressive improvements to the Mini desktop configurations, who knows what the future holds...

Ice
Speegs  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2015 2:29:07 AM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
I've had the odd reliability problem with the Brix and have returned mine twice under warranty. Main board failures.

I actually use it for my home PC and yes the fan does fire up very quickly when opening Vmix.

I have never used it for Vmix in production, but do a bit of testing on the Brix, I bought it as a low power usage home PC that still had some grunt. For that it works well. I don't think it's a good choice for running hard for long periods of time.

Personally I would rather have a laptop when travelling (and do) as it comes with a screen, keyboard, mouse and well a "sort of" UPS. My advice skip the Brix and get the next generation if you wanted to go for a "nuc" type computer. I do believe it would work, but it's not an ideal Vmix computer.

Expansion wise it's limited. Doesn't feel "comfortable" running at full power for long periods.

It's most suitable for burst high performance. Great for Photoshop, the odd game, occasionally compiling code and browsing the Internet.