logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
admin  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2012 4:40:20 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Work on the next version of vMix is now well underway and I thought I would provide the oppurtunity for anyone to offer suggestions on new features.

At the moment the following features will be in v4:

* Virtual Sets
(See http://forums.vmix.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&t=385)

* vMix Virtual Audio Capture will be replaced by a new device that records the output of vMix only.
This will allow users to preview audio in other programs without it interfering with the recorded audio.
This is still a Windows 7 only feature so would strongly suggest those users still on XP to consider upgrading!

* Audio Mixer will be moved to a sliding panel in the main vMix window to make it easier to view both the mixer and the inputs.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
mh166  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2012 5:16:21 AM(UTC)
mh166

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Great to hear the news, Martin! :)

At the moment I got only these things on my wishlist:

• Assign a shortcut to FTB
  • A reverse "Fly" transition. That is, FlyOut or something like that. Makes the experience more consistent for the viewer if the input that flew in will fly out again – instead of letting the old content fly in, too.
  • Selectable text presets for titles. But you already mentioned them in the other thread to probably be included. Thanks for that! :) Maybe one could load them from a textfile so you don't have to start from scratch each time. Probably INI or plain text?
  • Minor bug fix: the Photos-Input is showing the slider Zero-Based. While this is perfectly normal for any developer, it's kind of confusing any non-techie user. ;)

If another thing comes to my mind, I'll let you know. :)

Regards,
mh166
ClementN  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2012 9:38:07 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Hello Martin,

That's great.

Here is what I would love to see in the next releases:

1. The ability to display (large and visible) different time formats (clock, counter etc) on the second monitor for the person in front of the camera (already posted in another post)

2. I don't know how to achieve that but I would love a way to monitor the recording. I know we have an indicator for the recorded sound in the main mixer but somehow we have the need to know if there is something wrong with the recording before the end of the show :)

3. In terms of design, I think there will be easier for the eyes if the "title zone" of each small window (the ones colored in orange and green now) will be lot thinner.

4. Also, I would suggest that all the top buttons ("Open preset", .... to ... "Settings") should be simple links and not buttons (just like the links in any other program where we have "File", "Edit" etc)
same suggestion goes for the bottom-right buttons ("Mixer, "Playlist" etc) AND for the "Add Input".

Thank you,
mh166  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2012 10:14:03 AM(UTC)
mh166

• Taking about the "title zone", ClementN mentioned, I got another idea:

Display a little icon in front of the title that indicates wether the input is currently paused or running, i.e. a play or pause icon. That way one could verify everything is running as it should.

Sometimes a paused input has worried me: I thought it stalled where it really just was paused because i forgot to change the prefs regarding pause after transition or something...

• Another thing: within the "Add input" dialog, could there be a checkbox or a second save button that allows one to edit the input settings right after adding the input? I guess this should save quite some time when going live. For some inputs may have to pause on transitions, others may not...

So a checkbox like "[x] Edit settings for this input after adding" would be a great help. The default value for this checkbox should be changed in the global settings menu.

• ClementN wrote:

4. Also, I would suggest that all the top buttons ("Open preset", .... to ... "Settings") should be simple links and not buttons (just like the links in any other program where we have "File", "Edit" etc)
    same suggestion goes for the bottom-right buttons ("Mixer, "Playlist" etc) AND for the "Add Input".

I wouldn't say that. I don't know how others feel, but I really like the layout as it is at the moment. Those rather large button make it easy to hit them when on air. So I'd rather stay with the design we have at the moment.
mh166  
#5 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2012 10:44:47 AM(UTC)
mh166

And regarding the webinterface ...

• Add cursor: pointer; to .shortcutButton in your CSS definition. Makes it feel much better if you use a mouse. ;)
  • Let the user choose to which network interface the webserver will bind. By default it binds to all available.
  • Could you make the webinterface customizeable? Meaning to put the html files somewhere one can edit them? :)
  • With jQuery it should be possible to bind the buttons of each shortcut to the respective keys. So if press "g" on my keyboard, it executes whatever the G-shortcut is bound to.

• Add an API to use the features of vMix directly.
    For example then one could do one of these requests:
    • http://localhost:8088/Input1/Cut
      Cut over to Input1
    • http://localhost:8088/Input2/CrossZoom?dur=750
      CrossZoom to Input2 with a duration of 750ms
    • http://localhost:8088/Input3/Preview
      Show Input3 in the preview window
    • http://localhost:8088/Input4/Overlay1
      Activate Input4 as Overlay1
    • http://localhost:8088/AddInput/Flash_RTMP?URL=your.flv&Resolution=720x586&RTMP_Buffer=5000
      Add a new Input of type "Flash/RTMP" with the obvious parameters
    This list is, of course, just a short draft from my mind. But it would be such an amazing thing!!! :)

• With that API one can achieve my last point on the webinterface wish list:
    A complete representation of vMix within the browser. Of course, no moving pictures here. ;) But the titles or even the numbers of the input will be sufficient. The reason for this? With this one can care about adding inputs and stuff on another computer and really concentrate on the directing on the one running vMix. I guess this would be so much of a benefit!

I realize that espacially the last point won't probably make it into v4. Maybe even not the API. But at least I'd love to see the API in v5. :) The webinterface could then be user-contributed to the project, so you don't have to worry about it.

The API will make it possible to script common procedures in vMix that happen throughout the airing. One such schedule could be: Start the intro, wait until it's almost finished, fade over to the main camera, show an overlay holding todays topic, after 3sec fadeout the overlay again.

That's just a short example. But it would be so easy for us to achieve if there were this API.

I'm quite interested in hearing everbody's opionion regarding this feature request - of course yours, Martin, in particular! :)

Regards,
mh166
ClementN  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2012 11:05:35 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

mh166 wrote:

... Those rather large button make it easy to hit them when on air. .....

I totally agree. Everything we might need while "on air" should stay as a large and obvious button. :)

+1 for the API related suggestions, mh166
cutter07  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2012 3:06:07 PM(UTC)
cutter07

Man

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 9 post(s)
admin wrote:

* vMix Virtual Audio Capture will be replaced by a new device that records the output of vMix only.
This will allow users to preview audio in other programs without it interfering with the recorded audio.

That's great
ber142  
#8 Posted : Friday, June 8, 2012 5:01:29 PM(UTC)
ber142

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Martin,

Keep up the good work! I've dug into all my previous posts and summarized my wishes.

Regarding keyboard shortcuts / transitions, I like to see:

• configurable keyboard shortcuts for the basic / main buttons (FTB, Fullscreen(!), Pause Rendering and Pause Inputs) especially for the new web interface (I agree with mh166)
  • an option to connect one shortcut to two (or more) actions (especially useful for overlays, just with one key you can show an input with another input as overlay instead of pressing 2 shortcuts in time)
  • an option to define a custom image as the default background for the zoom transition (so that you see e.g. a logo instead of a black background while the transition takes place)

Regarding the delay (we're using it frequently), I like to see:

• an option to connect the delay to another input then the hardcoded main output
  • an option to have a visual indication with the current recording state of the delay
  • an option which stops the 'record' of the delay as soon you put the delay in preview (instead of stopping it manually)
  • and finally the option to 'tag' events (by dumping the delay buffer to disk in a certain video format) so that you can easilly replay the event on a later moment

Please notice a small bug:

• when you mark a flash or capture input as overlay and you reset the input, the overlay is unmarked (and you have to manually mark it again)

With kind regards, Hanno.
melody  
#9 Posted : Saturday, June 9, 2012 10:33:55 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

hi martin,

considering this a feature request and a similar feature as Playlist and Video List.
Is there a way to implement an "input manipulator" or a "Live Stream Manipulator"?

the idea is work on 24h live streams and give director the possibilities below:

- movies, music video clips, advertising, live broadcast, music concerts, etc... watch foldered files (with custom time start/finish and custom transition to starts and to finish)
- "X" minutes or "X" files randomly selected for advertising or related in a custom dedicated watch folder;
- start video/audio files in a custom position (this give possibility to do "part 1" and "part 2" for long duration files);
- dedicated logo input in a custom position (similar to existing overlay but with possibility to tick "allways on", only if "movie", only if "Live Broadcast", only if "Music Concert", "off") and choose what moment it goes on (ON "X" seconds after input starts and OFF "X" seconds before input finish);
- custom text information during play ("next presentation", "important presentation - xx:xx", "live stream" timetable with custom name);

i know that this would not easy to implement but it will be another HUGE step to vmix. No other software do that.
if anyone user is interested on this request, post "+1" below and give martin, if you want, some ideas to develop it.

thank you for attention, regards...

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
omnisound  
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2012 3:20:05 PM(UTC)
omnisound

Man
France

Hi !

Is it possible to add a shortcut for start and stop the record ?

Thank you.
mh166  
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 10, 2012 4:37:44 PM(UTC)
mh166

• Regarding recording ... maybe a button that would end the current videofile and immediately start a new one? Helps with cutting a long production into the respective parts.

• And/or a second thing that may help: cue sheets! On the one hand for recording, of course: when pressing the Cue-Button a window could pop up requesting for a title you want to give to that scene.
  • On the other hand cue sheets could be helpful for playback. That way you could prepare a cue sheet for a movie and then tell vMix it should play from one cue point to the next and stops automatically at reach. With a slider and/or popup menu to choose the desired cue point to start from.
    This would help melody for her part1/part2, btw. :)

• And what about an automatic fade: one could activate it, so it would fade over to the input from the preview automatically xx seconds before the current clip ends. The xx value should of course be given right next to the button (or within? however...). And if you want it to fade immediately after the end of the current input's clip ... just enter "0". ;)

PS: sorry if I'm bringing too much stuff. It's just that I love this fantastic masterpiece of software and want it to become even greater. :]
kayllastudio  
#12 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 5:48:22 AM(UTC)
kayllastudio

Man

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 6 post(s)
it's ok
Dr. Brain  
#13 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 8:23:46 AM(UTC)
Dr. Brain

Suggestions for this great software:

1- adding "web page" as an input.
2-adding a dedicated input to display video from the famous video sites (youtube, justin, livestream) just by entering the URL.
3- adding a built in title designer and editor.
Dr. Brain  
#14 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 8:51:27 AM(UTC)
Dr. Brain

- add a scheduler to run inputs and overlays at exact times.
- add effects and animations like those found in webcammax software.
Famous Pictures  
#15 Posted : Monday, June 11, 2012 1:14:43 PM(UTC)
Famous Pictures

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Dr. Brain wrote:

In addition, add to scheduler record start and stop at exact times.
Fridolf  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 7:06:40 AM(UTC)
Fridolf

Some sort of html-keyer like Meztura Webkeyer would be very appreciated. You can then create webpages in example Hype or any other tool and assign your own shortcuts to animations. It will be very easy to reuse existing javascripts or php-pages with dynamic content.
chrh  
#17 Posted : Tuesday, June 12, 2012 11:24:14 AM(UTC)
chrh

I would like to see more flexible options for the resolutios, both capture and output.

I'm using vMIX Basic, and right now i'm trying to setup a LifeCam Studio in 16:9, but at the moment I'm limited to a 4:3 image.
ClementN  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, June 13, 2012 12:52:11 AM(UTC)
ClementN

Romania

Famous Pictures wrote:
Dr. Brain wrote:

In addition, add to scheduler record start and stop at exact times.

If the recorder can be added as an action in the Playlist (as first action to be made before other things) then this would be just great.

And lined to that, it will be extremely useful if we can add to Playlists modules as Overlays and not just regular modules (ex. lower thirds).

fordry  
#19 Posted : Friday, June 15, 2012 10:48:21 PM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
A lower bitrate output setting for the dvd file save setting like 2000 or 3000, or just the ability to set the bitrate manually instead of presets? My church needs to be able to have a dvd done immediately after the service and the current settings result in files too large for a single disc which means they have to be re-encoded which takes too much time.

side note, we haven't payed yet because we are still working out what our setup will be. There are various committees involved with a rather significant upgrade to much of the technical systems at the church and it is taking quite a while for it to be finalized. Once it is, we will most likely be buying both an HD and SD Edition license.
admin  
#20 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:21:21 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4135 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Thanks for all of your suggestions so far.
Some of the suggestions are quite large in scope so they most likely won't be in v4 but will be considered for future versions.

A couple of points about some of the smaller features suggested so far:

* FTB Shortcut - DONE
* Selectable text presets for titles - DONE
* Play/Pause button/indicator for each input - TODO
* Trigger overlay in playlist - DONE
* Lower bitrate for MPEG-2 - Investigating. Lower bitrates tend to fail at higher resolutions. I'll most likely add the lower options but with some warning if anything higher than 720x??? is selected.