logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Thremir  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2015 2:01:13 PM(UTC)
Thremir

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Hi guys,

lately I've been working with productions with remote studios, mostly just being a webcam and microphones and thus making me think Skype and Google Hangouts were a good idea.

It now seems that both platforms performs poorly when it comes to analyzing the bandwidth between the parts and the image get incredibly grainy even though we have are using a 25/25 and a 100/100 fibre connection to eachother. We figured that the route might be bad or at least we cannot get them to force higher quality settings so we are now looking for alternatives.

I've tried RTMP and RTSP but they seem to have way too much delay to be usable for video conferences.

What are your input on this topic? What do you use for instant video streaming? Free methods are preferred

Cheers,
Håvard
mjgraves  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 10, 2015 10:49:16 AM(UTC)
mjgraves

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 263 time(s) in 233 post(s)
You might look at Jitsi and/or Jitsi Video Bridge (http://jitsi.org) which are both open source projects.

Jitsi is a SIP/XMPP client that supports text, voice & video. It can be used to pass point-to-point video chat via common SIP services, like http://getonsip.com. I've used SIP phones for years, so SIP based video is a natural progression for me. There are various software & hardware end-points to choose from. Often I'll setup a connection to a soft client on a laptop, then capture the laptop's output into vMix using an HDMI capture card.

Jitsi Video Bridge is something of an alternative to Hangouts. It's a server side process that acts as a video router, switching between video streams according to who is actually talking. It's pure webrtc so there is no end-point software except Chrome.

In truth, there are many free WebRTC-based video chat services out there. Talky.io is one of the better ones. Blab.im is another. In trying to make everything easy& simple most of the WebRTC-based stuff won't give you any control of the media quality. That's where using your own instance of JVB can be advantageous.

Michael