logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Iris  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 5:53:12 AM(UTC)
Iris

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi, looking for some advice before I make any wrong purchases.

I have a spare Mac Mini 2.6Duel core i5 8GB ram which I'd like to run boot camp on and then Windows 7 64Bit, I also have a Blackmagic thunderbolt ultrasound 4K, which again I'd rather use than have to purchase PC USB3 kit.

I already have a full OB setup in a van, I am really only looking for this to feed lower thirds, logos and play VTs ( I do have Hyperdeck Studio but the limited excepted files is a pain.

At the moment I'm only looking to use it in SD as the company I want to use it with only Broadcasts in SD, however it would be nice to know if the Spec of what I have would work with HD as well? Most importantly I'd like to know if anyone has any experience of running vMix on boot camp ( or similar PC on Mac) and using thunderbolt Blackmagic thunderbolt devices on it.

Any advice greatly received as I'd rather know before I waste money ( should stress that I don't want to use it with cameras, just straps and VTs

Dom
ovinas  
#2 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 6:21:51 AM(UTC)
ovinas

Man

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 49 post(s)
Blackmagic MiniRecorder Thunderbolt working well on a MacMini with Bootcamp and Win 8.1, also on my MacBook Pro with Bootcamp and Win 8.1.
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 8:38:58 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Iris

What have you tried so far?
And what purchases are you considering?

Ice
Iris  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 12:29:56 PM(UTC)
Iris

Man

Thanks for the feedback guys, other than the Software (vMix) and boot camp I'm hoping that I won't have to buy anything as I already have the kit ( a Mac mini and Ultrastudio) want to keep kit small and not on the desktop as that needs to be kept clear. I'm only interested in it playing VTs and feeding lower thirds. I have a hardware vision mixer for SD/HD. Would be nice if the Mac could cope with HD as well, although my client is only SD. Looked at Livestream ( I think it's called) but don't want to spend a lot, again not looking for it to mix camera feeds, just play out from a list of VTs and lower thirds
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2015 2:24:28 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Iris

Seems like you are pretty much set to go, but testing and experimenting are paramount in determining whether what you have will meet your needs or not.
Invariably there may be settings and/or drivers that will need to be dealt with to achieve 'perfect' results.
There is little risk on the vMix end since the 60 day trial is fully functional and should be ample time to figure out any "bugs".
Blackmagic products can be finicky with regards to getting the 'settings' right, but otherwise perform well once that "sweet spot" has been found.
Keep us all posted as to how you make out or if you have any other questions.

Ice

(If you need a trial of Windows 7, you might try this site:
http://getintopc.com/sof...-download-iso-32-64-bit/
although I cannot vouch for it's authenticity or trustworthiness, just an option that came up)
Iris  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2015 3:16:49 AM(UTC)
Iris

Man

Thanks for that Ice, I suppose the real issue is how well the blackmagic will work on boot camp really?? I will try and get that on the system this week. Thanks for the windows 7 ISO link, it will actually be useful as will save me making an ISO from my disk. Will let you know how I get on
Iris  
#7 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2015 1:28:55 PM(UTC)
Iris

Man

Hi guys

More help needed :-) I finally got Windows 7 on to the Mac and VMix on it. Next problem is drivers for the Ultrastudio 4K !! I have tried the windows version

Blackmagic Tech support suggested 9.6.1 but I could'nt find that on the site!! After install the computer shows a yellow warning triangle by the Blackmagic 4k Card in device manager, and it's not seen under blackmagic control panel ( works fine on OSX boot) on some of the drivers I've also had a blue screen :-( any ideas? What drivers are you guys using?
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2015 4:22:05 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Iris  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 15, 2015 5:02:21 PM(UTC)
Iris

Man

Will give that driver a go in the morning, my Multidock seems to work fine but I'll give it a go
Iris  
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2015 6:56:25 AM(UTC)
Iris

Man

@ IceStream

I tried that driver and it stopped the install half way through, tried updating the driver in device manager but it just said the driver was up to date!!

it also blue screened on restart listing BlackmagicIO.sys as the reason (guess that referring to the Blackmagic 4K.

There seem to be lots of people on hear saying it works, would be really useful to know driver version numbers and that sort of thing?

Again any ideas would be good as I really need this to work on boot camp windows.
Iris  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 7:21:31 PM(UTC)
Iris

Man

The answer to my original question is NO!!

I've just tested it with an Ultrastudio Recorder and that works fine on both PC ( boot camp) and Mac platforms using V10.4.3 I actually need it to work with the Ultrastudio Monitor but I would be surprised if that behaved differently.

If anyone has any ideas as to how to get it working I'd be interested, I put it down to the 4K chip in it, this is the only difference between the U4K and the rest of the range, I know there are issues with other broadcast software and the U4k.
IceStream  
#12 Posted : Friday, August 21, 2015 7:51:54 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Iris

Have you sought support from Blackmagic on this issue?
(I suspect if it is known to have had issues in the Broadcast world, they would be keen to resolve it).

Ice
Iris  
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2015 7:25:27 AM(UTC)
Iris

Man

hi Ice

I talked over the phone to Blackmagic UK support. I think ultimately it comes down to the fact that there are very few PCs/ motherboards that are approved for working with the thunderbolt units, using boot camp adds a whole other level into it. I think there are so few people that would want to do this that its not worth there time.

Ultimately I believe it's the 4K chipset in the unit.

Iris
IceStream  
#14 Posted : Saturday, August 22, 2015 1:39:13 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Iris

That totally sucks!
Seems strange to me that they would not provide better support for a device that is clearly meant to interface with computers through "Thunderbolt", granted 4K is somewhat of a new kid on the block, but it's here to stay and there is going to be an increasing need for reliable capture interface and "Thunderbolt" seems like a practical choice, but then again, if it's not being widely adopted, we all could be SOL, especially if something new comes along.

Ice