logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kgoodyer  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2015 10:55:27 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Groups: Registered
Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 53 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Hi

Quick question : Is there anyway to change an input in the API? I can see you can add an input but cant see an option to change an input, something like ChanegeInput, Input, Value (Where value is broadly the same convention as AddInput.

Thanks in Advance.

Keith
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2015 8:53:46 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ kgoodyer

What specifically are you attempting to accomplish?

There is a 'MoveInput' Function that may be what you are looking for.

Ice
kgoodyer  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:09:23 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

OK ill try and make this simple

I have 10,000 JPG images numbered 0000.jpg to 9999.jpg, each image is exactly the same size, orientation, and resolution. An external piece of software calls the API to decide which one of the 10,000 images is displayed. As you can imagine I cant have each of the 10,000 images all loaded as separate inputs.

I was just going to do a Title XAML and then use the SetImage API function to change the image... However...

My client has also asked me to provide the same system, but this time using video clips i.e. 0000.avi to 9999.avi each video clip playing in an endless loop until a new video is requested.

That's stumped me for work around's - any help gratefully received.

BTW there are three different images/videos used on screen at a time. My external software selects (through the API) which 3 images/videos are displayed.

All The Best

Keith
kgoodyer  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:26:26 AM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

OK ill try and make this simple

I have 10,000 JPG images numbered 0000.jpg to 9999.jpg, each image is exactly the same size, orientation, and resolution. An external piece of software calls the API to decide which one of the 10,000 images is displayed. As you can imagine I cant have each of the 10,000 images all loaded as separate inputs.

I was just going to do a Title XAML and then use the SetImage API function to change the image... However...

My client has also asked me to provide the same system, but this time using video clips i.e. 0000.avi to 9999.avi each video clip playing in an endless loop until a new video is requested.

That's stumped me for work around's - any help gratefully received.

BTW there are three different images/videos used on screen at a time. My external software selects (through the API) which 3 images/videos are displayed.

All The Best

Keith
Bardos  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:27:01 AM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
Make a 'LIST' for the input, and load all the images there....go to 'Settings', search for 'Shortcuts', and set up the keys you want to use, (I used the arrow keys to make it simple) and for advancing, or moving foward, select 'Next Item'...for moving backwards 'Previous Item'...set the speed of anything, and select 'Preview'...close.....now when you are ready to select an image, bring that 'List' to the preview window, and use the short cut keys to toggle foward or backward to find the image you want, then send to output.....

I use this method without any issues.....
richardgatarski  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 6:24:22 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Keith,
AFAIK there is no ChangeInput API call, but I have sort of wished for that myself a few times. Maybe time for a Feature Request?

Guess Bardos' workaround with Playlist would work with a slight variation, you can give it a try. IF so, generate the necessary m3u from your application, and then use API SelectIndex to decide which video to use.
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 10:03:23 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Bardos wrote:
Make a 'LIST' for the input, and load all the images there....go to 'Settings', search for 'Shortcuts', and set up the keys you want to use, (I used the arrow keys to make it simple) and for advancing, or moving foward, select 'Next Item'...for moving backwards 'Previous Item'...set the speed of anything, and select 'Preview'...close.....now when you are ready to select an image, bring that 'List' to the preview window, and use the short cut keys to toggle foward or backward to find the image you want, then send to output.....

I use this method without any issues.....

@ Bardos

That works great for a manageable sized folder of content, but 10,000 is probably too many to 'leaf' through!

@ richardgatarski

I was going to suggest the "SelectIndex" function as well, but I am having trouble figuring out the best way of 'quickly' altering or inputting the "Value" parameter.
(I am not all that familiar with the API through other devices, so it might be a simple process, but rather I'm trying with "Shortcuts" and there just doesn't seem to be a way without drilling down and editing in the 'Shortcuts' window).
If I understand correctly, what Keith is after, is the ability to type the "Value" corresponding to one of 10,000 video clips (or photos) and have it instantly available.
This, of course, is possible with "SelectIndex", it's just not convenient having to open several windows to edit the 'parameter' every time.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to "edit" that value easily?
Perhaps some sort of 'SetParameter' or 'ChangeValue' pop-up shortcut should be requested?

Ice
richardgatarski  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 11:22:00 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

I am talking about SelectIndex to via an API call select which item to use in a List Input (that has been loaded/created with an m3u file containing all the (1.000) videos.
kgoodyer  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 1:14:54 PM(UTC)
kgoodyer

Man
United Kingdom

I don't quiet understand how I build an playlist, but I get the idea, gona be one hell of a big playlist. So do I load this playlist up as a Video?
Bardos  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 4:14:55 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
kgoodyer wrote:
I don't quiet understand how I build an playlist, but I get the idea, gona be one hell of a big playlist. So do I load this playlist up as a Video?

When you select 'ADD INPUT', Select 'LIST', a window will open....Select 'ADD', navigate to the folder/s that has whatever you want to add, and select them, and thst all there is to it....it is always good to place all your clips you want to use in one folder, audio files in another one, so you can locate them easily.....
richardgatarski  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2015 4:19:31 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

just google, eg "m3u playlist format" (and hope that vMix can handle reeeally long lists ;)