logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kkr  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:43:56 PM(UTC)
kkr

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi vMixers,

I did a live streaming from an swimming event in Norway this weekend using only vMix and 4xIP-cameras.
2xIP-cameras on wireless and 2xIP-cameras on cable, mixing done on 1xLapTop, timing-overlay created on 1xLapTop and sound via USB-audio-mixer (input from event PA-system).

Everything was streamed to New Livestream using "Livestream for Producers" (from Livestream)
I had to setup an extra dedicated encoder-PC because there was no extra CPU power left for multi bitrate encoding on my old LapTop :-(
(This solution gives me the opportunity to add HD as a extra bitrate when this become a demand)

All together including the 49USD/month for Livestream account this system is extremely low cost, and should be affordable for small clubs, communities and institutions (even for private people like me) :-)

The system is also small and lightweight and everything fits in the back of a small private car :-)

I do all the work related to streaming for this events… rigging, configuration, graphics overlay, control of PTZ-camera and mixing -> stream (truly a “one man band”)
The quality of the production is not professional I know... but I think more than adequate for family and friends that could not make it to the event.

If you like you can have a look at the result at:
http://new.livestream.com/livetiming-tv/nmjr-2013

Any comments on how and where a should put in my energy (or money) to make it a better stream??

Happy mixing
Best regards
KKR
thanks 3 users thanked kkr for this useful post.
markleman on 8/7/2015(UTC), GeorgeR on 8/12/2015(UTC), stigaard on 8/25/2016(UTC)
Damn2Good4U  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:13:49 PM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Well done... nice job
HighViewSport  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:32:29 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Nice job. Well done and great effort. Can I ask what model the IP cameras are? Also, did you find the pan and tilt smooth enough?

Cheers
h2video.nl  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:52:52 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
is that you camera hanging next to the flag? nice job looks good and camera timings are good and important with this kind of events.

can you give some more details about hardware and setup and maybe post a photo of your set the next time you're recording / streaming.

cheers stefan
Damn2Good4U  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 3:33:44 AM(UTC)
Damn2Good4U

Man

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 36 post(s)
Posting a photo and setup will help some of us a great deal...

Well done once more
kkr  
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:16:06 PM(UTC)
kkr

Man

Thanks!

I use Vivotek (3x IP8162P and 1x SD8362E).
The PTZ (SD8362E) is moved using a Vivotek joystick, and is somewhat hard to move smoothly... :-(
(partly because the camera is delayed 0.4s but also because something make the "presets" move away from its original positions... maybe due to temperature changes or somebody kicks my tri-pod! I don't know)

Yes, its one of my cameras next to the flag :-)

Seems like some other people liked the stream also, so now I have been asked to stream from two more events in January :-)
At that time I will make some picture of the setup (even if it looks kind of "unorganized" or messy)

Best regards
KKR
TVIason  
#7 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 11:22:07 AM(UTC)
TVIason

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
Nice show!

How did you get the camera feed in vmix? did you use desktop capture?

Thank you
kkr  
#8 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 6:11:50 PM(UTC)
kkr

Man

Hi,

All camera feeds are RTSP (h264/AAC), so only a network is needed to the cameras (wireless or wired).

KKR
Beloved  
#9 Posted : Saturday, January 25, 2014 1:52:47 PM(UTC)
Beloved

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Fantastic Job!

I look forward to seeing your setup photos!

You sure have my creative juices flowing in an ever cascading vMix!

kkr  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:44:57 PM(UTC)
kkr

Man

Hi again,

I totally forgot about the photos :-(

Well here are two photos taken using my garbage phone (the quality is bad (or I cant keep the phone stabile...))

First photo shows a vMix setup using 4x IP-cameras (cameras not shown) + 1x overlay (from second Laptop using BM Intensity Shuttle USB3) + 1x audio (from external mixer), and just a Teradek Vidiu as a standalone encoder for NewLivestream.
This is the low-cost solution :-)

UserPostedImage

Second photo shows the same but with some additions:
1. The Vidiu encoder is now swapped with a more powerful PC (Intel quad-core E5) enabling encoding of 4x different bitrates/resolutions simultaneously to NewLivestream.
2. The setup now also include an output to a scaler driving the video wall (can be seen in the background). Total delay around 0.3-0.4s from action to video wall (if you look closely you can see 0.1s in scaler/encoding/transfer/decoding/display to other side of the pool)(I still only use IP-cameras over wireless network!)
3. A fifth camera.
4. More advanced/automated overlay

This is the "not so low-cost" solution (if you include the video wall). But beside the encoder PC I only use the same two laptops.

UserPostedImage

Hope this was interesting for some of you.
(and NO the video wall is NOT mine!)

Best regards
KKR
thanks 3 users thanked kkr for this useful post.
asvtv on 2/3/2014(UTC), TVIason on 2/5/2014(UTC), Thremir on 2/23/2014(UTC)
Thremir  
#11 Posted : Sunday, February 23, 2014 8:57:29 AM(UTC)
Thremir

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Awesome setup!

I'd really like to know how you did the overlays, both graphic and timings, I could see a RS232-USB cable at your desk there, so my guess is that's where the magic happens.

I work with the same kind of stuff in almost the same area (sørlandet(!)), would be nice to come in touch and maybe we could help each other out? (I know a good bit of XAML programming etcetc.)

Best Regards
Håvard
daniel514  
#12 Posted : Thursday, February 27, 2014 6:20:30 PM(UTC)
daniel514

Canada

Was thanked: 15 time(s) in 15 post(s)
Nice rig!

How do you capture score board data?

Daniel
markleman  
#13 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2015 11:24:42 AM(UTC)
markleman

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Thanks for the write up, this is very interesting and useful as I would like to try the same for a gala we are organizing.

Like one of the previous posters I would also like to know which software you used to generate the scoreboard overlay?

At our swimming club we use the Omega Ares21 timing system and I have previously analysed the serial data stream for an LED score board I made. I could write a PC application to process the same data to generate a video overlay but if there is an existing product that works I would rather use that ;-)

Thanks in advance, Mark Leman
kkr  
#14 Posted : Sunday, November 1, 2015 10:05:39 AM(UTC)
kkr

Man

Hi,
Sorry for the very late response! Not in the forums so often (and when I’m here “showcase” is not a priority)

I use some proprietary applications/database system maintained by one guy of the Norwegian Swimming Federation.
All clubs in Norway have this system which handles everything related to a swim meet (the “normal” functions during the event + sending/receiving the entries + live result-service directly to public web-server + online scratching and relay setup during the event (compatible with mobile devices) + import/export to other systems ++)

The system supports multiple timing systems HW (including Omega Ares21 and Quantum). It does not use the Scoreboard output but the General Purpose (GP) port on the Ares21 which have a much more advanced protocol (actually bidirectional although this system only use unidirectional). Ares21 GP-port uses RS-485 (2-wire or 4-wire (which should be 422))

The overlay application is a separate program accessing the system database witch can be local (downloaded from the main-computer before the session starts) or directly over the LAN network. The output is put on an unused part of the screen or on a separate display, where it can be captured by vMix or transferred using HDMI and a capture-card. A completely black background makes it easy to key out the desired graphics in vMix. It pulls the heat with names, personal bests, national records, results, pool length and number of lanes from the database, and gets the online times directly from the Ares21 GP-port (the GP-port is shared between the main system and the overlay program PC).

The system can probably be purchased but cost a bit of money and has far more functionality than you need for overlay.
It gives you and your club no benefits as all the entries must be imported from your current system.

But the biggest problem is probably that this software is in Norwegian ONLY and I don’t think English is coming any time soon.

Some related links:
The System is called Victoria and actually has a web page (developer is Jechsoft, only in Norwegian) http://www.jechsoft.no
The public live web-page can host multiple meets simultaneously (No video) can be found here: http://livetiming.medley.no
My video-channel homepage (Video and overlay) can be found here: http://livestream.com/livetiming-tv

Hope this answer your question :-)

Best regards
KKR
voyagermix  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 24, 2016 10:11:51 PM(UTC)
voyagermix

Man
Mexico

wow great job
marcofab  
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 6, 2021 4:18:49 PM(UTC)
marcofab

Man
South Africa

Wow that looks amazing for a one man setup
mashpal  
#17 Posted : Saturday, January 27, 2024 4:38:50 PM(UTC)
mashpal

India

It sounds like you've put together a functional and cost-effective live streaming setup for your swimming event. Considering you're a "one-man band" handling everything from rigging to streaming, it's quite impressive. Here are a few suggestions for potential improvements:

Camera Quality: If feasible, consider upgrading your cameras for better video quality. This could enhance the overall viewing experience.

Graphics and Overlays: Work on improving graphics and overlays to make the stream more visually appealing. This could include cleaner timing overlays or additional graphics to enhance the production value.

Audio Quality: Since you're using USB audio mixer, ensure that the audio quality is optimal. Consider investing in a higher-quality microphone or audio equipment if needed.

Internet Connection: Double-check the internet connection stability at your streaming location. A reliable and high-speed connection is crucial for a smooth stream.

Multi-Bitrate Streaming: As you mentioned, consider implementing multi-bitrate streaming for viewers with varying internet speeds. This can improve the overall accessibility of your stream.

Engage with Viewers: Encourage viewer interaction through chat or social media during the live stream. Engaging with the audience can make the experience more enjoyable for them.

Experiment with Angles: If possible, experiment with different camera angles to provide more dynamic and interesting shots.

Remember, incremental improvements over time can contribute to an overall better streaming experience. Great job on your current setup, and best of luck with future streams!