logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RocketDane  
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 4:31:30 AM(UTC)
RocketDane

Groups: Registered

Hi all

Will IP-cameras work seamlessly with other inputs, or will their signal have a delay? Specifically I would like to cut between sdi-inputs on a AJA IO 4K and IP but I have not purchased any hardware yet.

Thank you in advance.

Jeppe
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 6, 2015 6:47:42 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ RocketDane

I have not used IP cameras, but my understanding is that there can be 'significant' delays depending on network and hardware configurations and miscellaneous variables.
I think your tolerance will mostly depend on 'what' and how you will be shooting as to how acceptable or "seemless" the delays will be.
Cutting to a shot that is not referenced in any other shot may very well appear seemless (audience reaction shots etc.)
Cutting from a wide shot to a medium or close-up of the same subjects will be disruptive if the delay is greater than 500 ms from your SDI inputs.
Audio will be the other component that could throw a monkey wrench into the whole scenario, nothing is worse or more obvious than audio and video that are out of sync.
Depending on the nature of your production will also determine how tolerant your audience will be with respect to such broadcast anomalies, a live event that captures the appropriate or important moment from a particular angle is far more acceptable to most people than not having the broadcast at all, and sometimes, IP cameras are the most feasible solution for that.
So, all in all, it's worth exploring and experimenting with to see what works best for your situation, but I would go in knowing that there will likely be some 'hic-ups' when mixing IP cameras with SDI inputs.

Ice
RocketDane  
#3 Posted : Friday, August 7, 2015 4:15:09 AM(UTC)
RocketDane

Thank you for the answer. Yes, the problems you mention are exactly what I worry about. I should have written that we plan to set up a router only for this production. The only connection out of this subnet will be the finished mix. But if there always is a delay on IP-cameras then the extra router will not solve the audio sync...

Has anybody any experience with this?

j.

IceStream wrote:
@ RocketDane

I have not used IP cameras, but my understanding is that there can be 'significant' delays depending on network and hardware configurations and miscellaneous variables.
I think your tolerance will mostly depend on 'what' and how you will be shooting as to how acceptable or "seemless" the delays will be.
Cutting to a shot that is not referenced in any other shot may very well appear seemless (audience reaction shots etc.)
Cutting from a wide shot to a medium or close-up of the same subjects will be disruptive if the delay is greater than 500 ms from your SDI inputs.
Audio will be the other component that could throw a monkey wrench into the whole scenario, nothing is worse or more obvious than audio and video that are out of sync.
Depending on the nature of your production will also determine how tolerant your audience will be with respect to such broadcast anomalies, a live event that captures the appropriate or important moment from a particular angle is far more acceptable to most people than not having the broadcast at all, and sometimes, IP cameras are the most feasible solution for that.
So, all in all, it's worth exploring and experimenting with to see what works best for your situation, but I would go in knowing that there will likely be some 'hic-ups' when mixing IP cameras with SDI inputs.

Ice