logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HighViewSport  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 3:11:06 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Martin,

Is it possible while in live mode to set an out point first (using out button or short cut key), then cue backwards (using tab and mouse scroll wheel) to find suitable in point to then set that as the in point? (using the in button or short cut key)?
This would be a really quick and efferent way of setting the exact in / out points we need for that particular play.

Cheers Bryan
tomtom1976  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 3:34:18 AM(UTC)
tomtom1976

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Bryan,

at the moment you can use the "-5", "-10" or "-20" button in live mode only to create a event with in and out point (or in and out step by step). After that you can change the in point with the mouse (click and track the in point in the event table).

In my opinion it will be great to have a "New Event" button to tell the software now i will create a new event with the next in point. before you use this button you can edit the in and out point of the last or selected event by using the in and out button again and again.

Cheers Thomas
HighViewSport  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 4:10:20 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Yeah thanks tomtom1976. I have been using those buttons during productions.
I just feel that a better option that is easier, faster and far more accurate would be to have the ability to set the out point first then cue backwards to set the in point.

If need be, vmix could automatically switch live mode off when it recognises a out point has been set and the user starts cueing backwards.
The user could then click live again once her or she has found the in / out points they want.s

Thought Martin?

tomtom1976  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 18, 2015 4:37:41 AM(UTC)
tomtom1976

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Martin,

so we have the behavior, I have describe in my Feature Request.

Cheers Thomas
admin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 9:42:40 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4146 time(s) in 1491 post(s)
Hi Guys,

This can already be done, simply press Mark In at the end and Mark Out at the beginning and it will automatically reverse the times in the event.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
HighViewSport  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2015 11:12:10 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Thanks Martin,

I did not know this was possible! How would you suggest we jog or cue with decent control and accuracy to find and set the inpoint when in Live mode?

I guess that's why a lot of us are saying we need jog wheel control to wind backwards once we mark the out point.

Cheers
Bryan
admin  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 3:59:14 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

I get what you're saying, you're right that it can't really be done in Live mode as that always uses live timing and
its not currently possible to mix and match Live vs Recorded in points when using the shuttle.

The following is currently how it is done:

1. Disable Live mode
2. Drag position bar to very end
3. Mark In
4. Shuttle backwards to start point
5. Mark Out

So my thinking is a new shortcut function could be created that allows the following:

1. "ReplayMarkInLastFrame"
a) Drag position bar to the most recently recorded frame
b) MarkIn
c) Disable Live Mode

2. Move the shuttle wheel backwards to find starting point

3. MarkOut and go back to Live

What do you think?
jens  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 5:42:33 AM(UTC)
jens

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi everybody,

wow, we spread out over three threads now..... ;-)

Martin pointed me to this one as it refers to all we we´re talking about.

But Bryan, to be honest, I never did a "Mark In" or "Mark Out" directly on the moving live picture. On the EVS you have a simple "Cue" Button which is a kind of a information marker, you set them as much as you want, and with a button "Last Cue" you jump back from Cue to Cue as you made them for quick reference what action you wanted to mark for you.
But the actual "Mark In/Out" for a clip I always do by 1) first job back and forwards to find the exact In-point, Mark In there (if I´m in a hurry just play your replay from there without really knowing the end, I´ll have to watch the scene anyway so find the out point on the fly and shout to the vision mixer "Out please".
Then move on to your excat Out-point and hit "Mark Out".
So I would not use any direct Mark-In function at all.
Auto-changing In and Out of vmix regarding the timecode is nice, I did not realized that could be done, too!

Anyway, we´re all coming back to the point that we would need a real "Live" mode were the operator can see the really live image of your inputs - and once you jog back you are automatically watch your recordings.
I understand Martin very well what´s the problem of CPU power and write/read cycles of the actual recording, that´s the main task all manufacturers dealing with. I remembered the first time on a Newtek system, even before they came out with it I had the chance to give it a go - same there, there was no chance to directly roll back from your live action as they had a really huge buffer - as Martin said 1 second delayed from live would be the nearest point.

But I would say that´s something we have to deal with a lower cost system, if we design the rest around it so you can handle it.

Martin, I´ll follow up your technical explanations on the other post and see what can be done....

Cheers

Jens

thanks 1 user thanked jens for this useful post.
Rinsky on 7/30/2015(UTC)
admin  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 12:21:44 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

So here is what I have been testing out in vMix 16 and so far so good:

1. Default to displaying the live sources in the replay inputs A + B when in Live mode.
2. Added a button and shortcut that will jump to the most recent recorded frame and go to Recorded mode.

The second option will allow jogging/shuttling backwards to create a new event and I have also added a new shortcut that does this all in one step.

On a fast machine with fast SSD storage, the jump from live to the most recent frame appears to be around 2 frames, which is much better than expected
since the recording buffer is quite large. It's not jarring at all and should practically be very close to how it would appear on an EVS.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
HighViewSport on 7/30/2015(UTC)
HighViewSport  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2015 7:07:14 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Yes please Martin,

Can we try this:

1. "ReplayMarkInLastFrame"
a) Drag position bar to the most recently recorded frame
b) MarkIn
c) Disable Live Mode

2. Move the shuttle wheel backwards to find starting point

3. MarkOut and go back to Live

Cheers Bryan
Rinsky  
#11 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 10:31:24 AM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
I'm totally with Jens on this one.

As he also stated in another thread (http://forums.vmix.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&t=3889) there needs to be a way to scroll the video back, with the Contour ShuttlePro for example, without disabling the live mode first, that's one step too much.

The best workflow would be:

You watch the live feed on the monitor-> event happens -> you scroll back to the beginning of the event -> hit "Mark in" -> play the event -> hit "Mark out" -> an then jump to live again -> violá

I get it that there are cpu limitations that prevent us from watching the live feed in the recorded mode (sounds kinda like a time paradox -.- ), but it would be awesome if you could figure out a solution to have a still image until the recording caught up to the actual point (as Jens stated in the other thread) and then let's us continue with the tagging.

It would be the best solution until it is possible to watch actual live feed in "recorded mode"

Regards,
Patrick
HighViewSport  
#12 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2015 5:13:00 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Martin,

Are you able to add this new short-cut in now?

Added a button and shortcut that will jump to the most recent recorded frame and go to Recorded mode.

Cheers Bryan
admin  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, August 5, 2015 8:27:56 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Hi Guys,

I've just posted the first vMix 16 Preview that includes some of these new replay features:

http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=4996

Regards,

Martin
vMix