logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MatthewEarley  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 11, 2015 7:31:42 PM(UTC)
MatthewEarley

Groups: Registered

Hello vMix Community,

We are attempting to create a Minecraft production using vMix. We have downloaded the 60-day trial, installed 2 desktop captures, and can stream and cut to and from each desktop. However, we cannot get fullscreen Minecraft to to stream, even though it does show as Minecraft 1.8.7 in the "window" drop down menu under "Add Input".

Minecraft can be captured in window, but the game is too small to play. We need to capture fullscreen Minecraft.

Thank you, we are new to your software and really look forward to using it to make our production with 2 desktops, 4 cameras and multiple audio inputs.

UserPostedImage

vMix Desktop Capture
File Attachment(s):
vMix with MineCraft.PNG (2,629kb) downloaded 0 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
doyousee.me  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 10:58:02 AM(UTC)
doyousee.me

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
why not output minecraft to monitor, use a splitter and input it using a capture card?
MatthewEarley  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 11:39:23 AM(UTC)
MatthewEarley

doyousee.me wrote:
why not output minecraft to monitor, use a splitter and input it using a capture card?

That is one option I am exploring. Here is why I am trying not to do that - I am a dad of 3 trying to get a project off the ground for my 4 and 6 year old boy, the 4 week old, she is not in yet ;-)

I was hoping to use a software solution for fullscreen games, the same way I can capture the desktop. This would also make it so i do not have to replace the all-in-one (built in monitor) and the laptop I am using.

The capture box adds the following expenses:

2 capture boxes
1 new PC
2 external monitors
cables

Software Gods, please give me fullscreen capture for Minecraft! LOL ;-)
doyousee.me  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 11:50:04 AM(UTC)
doyousee.me

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
i understand, funds are limited everywhere :)

i did use fullscreen internet explorer with screen capture in the past, worked fine, but if minecraft uses the videocard smartly, it may not be capturable

M@ik
MatthewEarley  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 11:56:41 AM(UTC)
MatthewEarley

doyousee.me wrote:
i understand, funds are limited everywhere :)

i did use fullscreen internet explorer with screen capture in the past, worked fine, but if minecraft uses the videocard smartly, it may not be capturable

M@ik

Makes sense Doyousee.me - I have tried using the vMix capture on Nvidia, Intel and ATI.

I am also playing with and looking at the following as possible solutions:

VLC - Playing with setting to stream RTSP
FRAPS - Looks like it records to disk only
hardware capture - Adds all the expenses lists above...

MatthewEarley  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 4:26:33 PM(UTC)
MatthewEarley

We are trying the windowed mode now, next we'll have to see how our framerate and capture quality standup on a wired and wireless network. ;-)
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 11:21:07 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ MatthewEarley

I am not going to pretend to understand the technicalities of it all but I would look at it this way:
vMix uses and relies on the GPU HD video game technology to process video much like a video game and in that sense, it could be considered to be just another video game to the computer so you are essentially trying to play two video games simultaneously on the same computer with the same GPU.
Now I'm not going to say that it's not possible, but I think it might be asking too much from your laptop and why the screen capture is not working... Something's got to give.
Again, I am not a 'techie' and don't know for sure, but that would be my take on it.

Ice
MatthewEarley  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 12:54:21 PM(UTC)
MatthewEarley

IceStream wrote:
@ MatthewEarley

I am not going to pretend to understand the technicalities of it all but I would look at it this way:
vMix uses and relies on the GPU HD video game technology to process video much like a video game and in that sense, it could be considered to be just another video game to the computer so you are essentially trying to play two video games simultaneously on the same computer with the same GPU.
Now I'm not going to say that it's not possible, but I think it might be asking too much from your laptop and why the screen capture is not working... Something's got to give.
Again, I am not a 'techie' and don't know for sure, but that would be my take on it.

Ice

Ice, I would agree if we were talking about an Nvidia Tegra integrated unit like the one in my Tesla Model S where the engineers had to work diligently to get the reverse line overlay to display on the rear view camera, which itself was already an overlay. Tesla owners had to wait 3 years for this feature, I had to wait a couple of months as I bought mine in December.

Tesla Reverse Line Overlay:
Tesal Reverse Line Overlay Forum Thread

Discrete Video:
Now with a home computing system we are not using integrated CPU/GPU and have discrete units. My laptop has a discrete Nvidia Quadra 1000M with 2 GB of dedicated memory, an Intel i7 4-core with multi-threading and 16 GB of memory. It's no joke.

so at the end of the day, it is a shame that we cannot demand more from the system, given the capabilities of the systems. Any desktop can replicate what I have above with a $50 video card.

Why:
Why can't the software use the GPU for the game and still be able to render the screen remotely as a rasterized image at 15, 25 or 30 FPS? There is the real question.

Instead I am having to now put together another machine to accept the inline HDMI captures while making sure all my capture devices are compatible.
MatthewEarley  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 1:03:34 PM(UTC)
MatthewEarley

Hello Everyone,

I would like to share what I have accomplished so far with the hardware I already have and the software capture in Minecraft:

Capture Computer:
Lenovo Thinkpad W540 with intel 4th gen i7 4-core HT, Nvidia Quadra K1100M, 16 GB memory, Samsung EVO Pro SSD hard drives

Minecraft Computers:
1. Lenovo Thinkpad W520 with intel 3rd gen i7 4-core HT, Nvidia Quadra 1000M, 16 GB memory, SSD HD - works great even with Intel HD3000 video adapter (you can switch)
2. Sony Vaoi VPC all-in-one with dual core i7 and Nvidoa 310M video - this computer has very low frame rate and freezes frequently

Wireless network:
Does not work well even on 300 Mbps N band. Wireless networks are like a hub, they suffer from network collisions

Wired network:
1. Works well from Lenovo to Lenovo at 1 Gbps. BUT - the graphics do not look sharp, color depth is reduced, some images are blurry
2. Sony Vaio is terrible, with freezes. Not usable for video production

Minecraft:
1. you must set the display resolution in a window
2. you must set vMix to capture the minecraft window
3. You must match frame rates in mine craft, the video driver and the vMix capture for best results.

End of the day verdict:
1. i will go with vMix's recommendation of using dedicated capture hardware inline with external monitors.

Where does this leave us?
1. now I have to buy new hardware and trust that it will all integrate correctly.
2. I have to trust that the capture workstation can handle the incoming HDMI feeds (2 or 3)
3. While handling 3 USB cameras, may be 4.

Now I am a system integrater relying on a hardware compatibility list. This went from lets setup 1 more workstation to capture, to let's build new workstations, find capture devices, use external montitors, get all the associated cables, build it out, and trust that it will work after dropping the $-bomb.

vMix Support:
In all fairness I am an amateur and vMix has been very responsive to my amateur questions. I'll work back-and-forth with vMix support and the forums until I get this right. I promised my kids, it's that simple. Now can I achieve this without getting my wife upset at the number of cables and the bil that represents the solution? There is the magic formula ;-)
IceStream  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 2:58:36 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ MatthewEarley

As the old saying goes: "Nothing ventured, Nothing gained"...

I can't say that I am exactly clear on the whats or whys of what you are doing, but I do understand what it means to be a Dad, and I commend you for going to such lengths for the sake of your kids.
I would argue that the Quadro 1000m, although a great card, is not a "Gaming" card per se, and may be part of the limitations you have encountered:

http://www.game-debate.c...gtx-660m-vs-quadro-1000m

To me, the solution is to have the "Gaming" PC(s) to be an independant input source(s) for the "vMix/Streaming" PC, but that might just be me.
There is also the whole gaming "X-Split" community which might be able to help point you in the right direction, as that is what they do (Live Stream their game play) and a lot of their methods can probably also be applied to vMix:

https://support.xsplit.c...orum/viewforum.php?f=132

Keep us all posted as it is always good to "add" to the knowledge base, and don't forget the bouquet of flowers or box of chocolates for the wife...

Ice

MatthewEarley  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 3:26:25 PM(UTC)
MatthewEarley

Thank you IceStream,

You get it, being a Dad knowing what your kids are into is paramount, before their interests move onto the next thing. This is also why you try to accomplish what you can with a budget and not go over. Every project will go over if you let it.

Video Card:
1. You are right, I do not have heavy hitting graphics cards, but they do produce an acceptable framerate for Minecraft ;-) I limit Minecraft and the cpature to 30 FPS.
2. Workstations with better video cards are ALWAYS preferable.

xsplit:
1. I installed the software, saw that it was geared toward online gaming and social media sites, then uninstalled it without giving it much of a shot.
2. Do you know if you can use xsplit to send capture to vMix?
3. if anyone can tell me that it is possible, then I will give this option a shot on a WIRED network.

thanks!
Matthew