logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rjmurdock  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 10:04:20 AM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I had a situation arise a few days ago when an interview guest gave me about 60 picture files to use for the interview just before the show recording was to begin. The easiest way to get all those images into vMix was to create an input List and select all the files within the provided file folder. However, when I brought that List input into my Preview window, I had no way to quickly & easily scroll through the images visually to select which one I wanted to show. So I had to delay the start of the show's recording so I could sit down with my guest and pick a few select images,... inputting them into vMix one at a time and limited to the amount of picture inputs thumbnails I could fit into the screen real estate of a particular colored bin, which was just over a dozen.

Is there a way to modify the LIST input preview window to add a next/previous capability to allow a user to visually scroll through media within that list? This capability would be very much like how a user can select a particular slide in a PowerPoint input window?
Bardos  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 11:23:38 AM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
This function is already included in vMix
....Go to "Settings"..>Shortcuts >...Under 'Key", click "Add", select a key from the keyboard...(in my case, I chose "Left", which is the left arrow) "Function: choose 'PreviousItem', set a duration, select "Preview", do the same for the other direction, (in my case, I chose "Right", which is the right arrow on the keyboard)..."Function":NextItem", set duration, select "Preview"...click OK, and in the main GUI, select the list you made into the "Preview" window, and when you tap on the "Arrow" keys, you will see the items toggling .....I use this method, and I have no issues at all....I selected the "Space Bar" as my shortcut for transition, so all I do is select the clip I want, then hit my space bar and voila...no hiccups, no problems, quick and easy....

Hope you understand what I just wrote....
Thanks
rjmurdock  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 12:09:16 PM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Man

Bardos, although your solution is adequate for just one input list, it doesn't help if you have two or more input lists that you may want to toggle back and forth in preview before sending it LIVE to the program which may already have another list. I would have to create individual next/prev short cuts for each input list.

Also, this may be a bug report that I'll have to research, but it seems the all the images in my list want to play the next image immediately until the end of the list. I have deselected the "Automatically Play Next" option in the list settings, but it doesn't stop this action. So even when I tried the short cut key solution you provided, my "previous" image flashes for a moment then goes to the next/last image. I'm currently using version 14.0.0.112 x64.
Bardos  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 3:37:15 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Man

OK....try this....right click on the play list window, and click, "Edit Items" deselect "Automatically play next Item"...that should work, the clip will pause on the last frame.......

Something to do if when you switch, you see the next file playing...just switch on the last second, watch the countdown and as soon as it hits "1", switch, so as not to let the last frame freeze on the output.....I find this works great.....

Now, with the List back in the Preview window, just select the next clip, and on the transition, it should play automatic...it is working for me, and works great...
rjmurdock  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 8:00:32 PM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Man

Bardos, have you tried your solution with a list of JPG files? Doesn't work for me.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 13, 2015 11:55:49 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ rjmurdock

Not sure I fully understand the request...
If you right click on the "Photos" Input and select SlideShow Settings, it opens a pop-up which displays a scrollable window of thumbnails of each of the photos in the list (5x2 or 10 viewable images).
Also, by default the "Photos" Input is a slide show, you need to set the 'Transition' to "0" if you want to hold an image indefinitely when live.
By clicking on any one of the images, it becomes the 'active' image.

I hope that is what you are after.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
rjmurdock on 6/14/2015(UTC)
Bardos  
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 2:22:44 AM(UTC)
Bardos

Man

Ok, I think I get what you want to do.....put all the photos in a folder, select "Add Input", and select "Photos", and navigate to the folder where you have the photos....then click OK....Next, Right Click on the image that is displayed, and select "Slide Show Settings"....what I did, is to set Transition to "0", and the duration settings and effect, and when I came back to the Main GUI, I just have to click on the Play Button to toggle forward, but the same settings I mentioned in a previous post, works the same way.....the Right arrow toggles forward, the Left arrow toggles backward in the "Preview Window"
If you want to scroll the photos live, just click on the Forward/Reverse arrows at the bottom of the Output Window, and that's it....
thanks 1 user thanked Bardos for this useful post.
rjmurdock on 6/14/2015(UTC)
rjmurdock  
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 6:54:51 AM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Man

OK, I take back my feature request because what i was asking for already exists. I was trying to use the wrong type of input module (the LIST module) for what I needed to do when the ability to input a folder of pics to select from already existed in the PHOTO input module. My bad.... It was unfortunate that I found out I needed to perform this function at the last minute before a schedule show was to begin, but at least now I know a little bit more about vMix's capabilities. Thanks Bardos and IceStream for pointing this out.

Sincerely,
RJ Murdock
www.EmeraldCoastTV.com
Bardos  
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 14, 2015 7:20:04 AM(UTC)
Bardos

Man

No Problem my brother, that's why this forum was created....to help those who find it a bit difficult to do certain things in vMix, and to get the most out of this program....