logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BETech  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 11:11:29 AM(UTC)
BETech

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 109 time(s) in 71 post(s)
Hi All,

Very impressed with the offering in vMix Demo version 15. Nicely done.

Have performed several tests in a broadcast environment using the Replay section of the software,
and found the software reliable and consistent using a Blackmagic Decklink Duo in Win7 Pro SP1 x64.
The workflow is somewhat different to traditional broadcast equipment, but found the interfaces very intuitive
and easy to learn.

In the fast working environment of sports television, I found navigating the Replay with a mouse and keyboard
somewhat slow and inaccurate, and diverted my attention from the telecast often to concentrate on the software.

Collectively, we felt that the interface should have more keyboard shortcuts to easily navigate the recordings,
mark in/out clips, jog/shuttle/fast forward & rewind and modification to any in/out points as necessary to suit the situation.

Using well established keyboard shortcuts and keyboard key assignments from manufacturers such as Sony, Avid, GVG
and so forth, it would be much quicker and more accurate than the Replay system as current.

Attached is an Adobe PDF with some suggestions for the keyboard shortcuts and additional buttons for the Replay interface.

I would gratefully appreciate your comments, as I see enormous potential in this software.

Kind regards,

Ross.
File Attachment(s):
vMix Replay Shortcut Reference - Review.zip (234kb) downloaded 36 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
ask  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 18, 2015 6:39:03 PM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
Some good analysis and ideas here. vMix all ready has some standard keyboard shortcuts for various operations which utilize a number of the keys you identify. There is also the ability to remap these keys to defined functions in teh Shortcut editing mode. Any customs edits take precedent over system shortcuts. Maybe a way to facilitate your idea na not disturb the existing capability would be to allow different mappings of the keyboard.

i.e. 1. Standard Mode - uses OOTB shortcuts
2. Replay Mode - designed for a dedicated replay function
3. Custom
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 12:38:07 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ BETech

Great feedback and input (especially from an industry 'insider').
I also agree with 'ask' that many of the missing industry standard 'Shortcuts' you mention in your report already exist in vMix Replay (although perhaps named differently, and to some extent functionally different in some cases) but none-the-less, appear to cover most of the bases.
Perhaps you could cross reference your list with the current vMix Replay Shortcut Reference list:

http://www.vmixhd.com/re...m?ShortcutReference.html

and help explain the differences and determine more accurately what changes or additions need to be made.
Also, vMix Replay has been 'designed' to work well with the "Contour ShuttlePRO v2" control surface, which goes a long way in eliminating the keyboard for single computer operations and I, for one, would greatly appreciate your views on it's integration and operation within the fast paced broadcast environment.

I realize your report may span a time frame that precedes some of the newer 'Shortcuts' that Martin has added since the first release of vMix 15, and I am sure there are more to come, but every opinion and every bit of experience count in making vMix the outstanding product that it is.

Ice
ask  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 19, 2015 7:11:30 AM(UTC)
ask

Australia

Was thanked: 199 time(s) in 181 post(s)
BETech wrote:
Thanks ASK.
[color=blue]

Alternatively, should the vMix software designers implement the requested REPLAY functions, the purchase of a JLCooper slow motion controller would be the best course of action. Very well priced @ US$1,800, considering the Ashvale SMC-2a Slo-mo controller which cost me $12,000 in 2001, and not to mention the cost of the GVG Turbo iDDR. How times have changed.

Have you looked at the JLCooper ES-SloMo SPe? This has an ethernet interface. Seems to me that this is the controller to support as the higher end option. Just noticed that there is also a USB version as well!