logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
webgod  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 4:24:48 AM(UTC)
webgod

Groups: Registered

Hi guys,

i searched through the internet and discovered the capture cards are quiet costly. i decided to search for cheaper ones. i saw these two on Aliexpress and would want to know if anyone has tried them before now and if they will work for vmix.

thanks!
webgod attached the following image(s):
card1.jpg (41kb) downloaded 3 time(s).
card2.jpg (10kb) downloaded 3 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 8:31:40 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ webgod

It's difficult to say on 'face value' (a brand name or model # are easier to document).
Typically, cctv and security grade products are not effective with vMix as they are designed to work with their own software (i.e. multiple channels funneled to a 'multi-view' screen or switched internally every 30 seconds or 60 fps shared 4 ways etc.)
Cheap USB dongles are 'hit and miss', mostly 'miss' from what I can gather, especially 4 channels over USB 2 (not a lot of bandwidth there for that).

The two factors you need to consider first are:

1) What cameras are you 'plugging in' to your capture device? (the devices you illustrate require RCA Composite, which is usually found on older equipment)

2) What computer are you 'plugging' these devices into? (once again, the card you show is older technology PCI slot, not PCI-e, not so many of those slots available on newer motherboards)

You are correct that capture cards are expensive and you are not the first to look for cheaper alternatives, but there is often a reason why some of these products are so cheap.
At some of those prices you might feel that it's worth a try, just be well aware of what you are getting into, otherwise you are potentially increasing the 'overall' cost of getting what you "need".

Ice
Charssay  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 9, 2015 12:26:13 PM(UTC)
Charssay

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Hello

Both cards will work under Vmix, but you will be able to use only one channel fo the simple reason that vmix will detect only one.
The audio channel will be not detected also.

C.