logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ittaidv  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:01:29 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Groups: Registered
Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Hi all,

We're looking to buy a computer that we would like to use for Vmix.

Right now we are using a pc with these specs as a test setup:

Intel I7 2600k
16 gb ram (1600 mhz)
Nvidia Gts 450
3x intensity pro
revodrive 3 120 gb

When we are using 4 camera's (3 x gopro over hdmi + xl H1 over firewire) on this setup, the cpu maxes out when we record 720p and stream in 720p. This leads to random crashes since we also load a lot of videoclips in Vmix

We would like to build a new system, with a budget of maximum 4000 euro, but are unsure what would benefit us the most. If we don't have to spend everything this would allow us to buy better camera's. We would like to build a system that allows us to stream and record in the best qualities, and still give us some headroom. We could offcourse invest in all the best components, but that might be a waste if they're not all used.

Right now we use 4 camera's, but we would like to buy a few more in the future. At this moment we are looking at 4 JVC GC-PX100's, so we can combine them with the gopro's that we already have. We would in all occasions use a maximum of 6 camera's.

Motherboard:

We would like to have 7 PCI express slots, so we can use 4 intensity cards and still have room for a pci express wifi card and a single or double videocard.

CPU:

What would be the best: an 8- core AMD (FX-9590) or a 6-core Intel (4930k)? Does Vmix benefit from more cores or from higher clock frequency?
Does adding camera's affect the CPU and how? Does recording and streaming affect the CPU and can we offload the CPU a lot by adding better videocards?

Ram:

Should we go for more memory or higher memory bandwidth?

GPU:

Should we go for a double gtx 780 or R9 290x, or is the GPU not used that much? Crossfire, PhysX, SLI? Does Vmix use CUDA, openGL, OpenCL? We would love to have 3 monitors, so maybeye a combo of a high end card with a lower end GPU?

Storage:

We would love to record a 1080 signal (highest Quality) and stream 1080+720+SD. Should we use a system SSD + an SSD to read from and one to write on? Or do we need SSD's in raid?

Also we would like to use a midi controller. We noticed that midi support has been dropped. Is there an intention to get this back in the future?

Thanks!

h2video.nl  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:44:55 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hi, i am currently switching over to using AMD A10 6800k line of cpu with integrated gpu. i use 2133 hz memory clocked to 2400hz. in this way the gpu has maximum capacity and outperforms intel i7 with integrated gpu.

running cineform benchmark i get 40 fps ...

benefit is that vmix depends on this combination of cpu and gpu and you keep one pci e slot free. and the amd A10 is a bargan!

my top system uses two ssd in raid. other systems just ons ssd.

i have 4 bm cards 2intensities and 2mini rec and one 1vga hdmi capture card. also two internet connections, i don't use wifi on card, if i need it i take my own wifi switch.

my smaller systems have two pci e cards. i can use a bm shuttle if i need more input or an output.

vmix is not cpu heavy, i need maximum cpu mostly for streaming using fmle at high res.

i am testing my set down volting the cpu ( from a standard 1.4 volt i bring it down to 1.25 ) which reduces heat. the 6800 k i clock to 4.4 ghz.

this way i am able to build reliable systems for about 500 to 800 euro's in a small portable case and it will do exactly what i need it to do.

the trick is to smooth things out and match inputs outputs streaming etc. in case of heavy use of clips etc, just use one system for recording switching and output and one system for streaming.

i record in 720 p mpeg and can stream to 1080p25 using this setup, for long periods, no bsod or dropouts. cpu at about 80% max with temp around 40C.

good luck
stefan
thanks 1 user thanked h2video.nl for this useful post.
Ittaidv on 12/26/2013(UTC)
h2video.nl  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 26, 2013 2:49:22 PM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
in addition,

if you stream 1080 720 and sd simultaniously, you should use a dedicated computer for that. i presume you are using fmle...

that would be better on an i7 but you can check it by testing.

putting everything on one computer is not a good idea unless you tested and optimized everthing in great length. keep it simple...

stefan
thanks 1 user thanked h2video.nl for this useful post.
Ittaidv on 12/26/2013(UTC)
Ittaidv  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, May 6, 2015 8:00:18 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Ittaidv wrote:
Hi all,

We're looking to buy a computer that we would like to use for Vmix.

Right now we are using a pc with these specs as a test setup:

Intel I7 2600k
16 gb ram (1600 mhz)
Nvidia Gts 450
3x intensity pro
revodrive 3 120 gb

When we are using 4 camera's (3 x gopro over hdmi + xl H1 over firewire) on this setup, the cpu maxes out when we record 720p and stream in 720p. This leads to random crashes since we also load a lot of videoclips in Vmix

We would like to build a new system, with a budget of maximum 4000 euro, but are unsure what would benefit us the most. If we don't have to spend everything this would allow us to buy better camera's. We would like to build a system that allows us to stream and record in the best qualities, and still give us some headroom. We could offcourse invest in all the best components, but that might be a waste if they're not all used.

Right now we use 4 camera's, but we would like to buy a few more in the future. At this moment we are looking at 4 JVC GC-PX100's, so we can combine them with the gopro's that we already have. We would in all occasions use a maximum of 6 camera's.

Motherboard:

We would like to have 7 PCI express slots, so we can use 4 intensity cards and still have room for a pci express wifi card and a single or double videocard.

CPU:

What would be the best: an 8- core AMD (FX-9590) or a 6-core Intel (4930k)? Does Vmix benefit from more cores or from higher clock frequency?
Does adding camera's affect the CPU and how? Does recording and streaming affect the CPU and can we offload the CPU a lot by adding better videocards?

Ram:

Should we go for more memory or higher memory bandwidth?

GPU:

Should we go for a double gtx 780 or R9 290x, or is the GPU not used that much? Crossfire, PhysX, SLI? Does Vmix use CUDA, openGL, OpenCL? We would love to have 3 monitors, so maybeye a combo of a high end card with a lower end GPU?

Storage:

We would love to record a 1080 signal (highest Quality) and stream 1080+720+SD. Should we use a system SSD + an SSD to read from and one to write on? Or do we need SSD's in raid?

Also we would like to use a midi controller. We noticed that midi support has been dropped. Is there an intention to get this back in the future?

Thanks!

As always, we made countless lists before buying anything, and thought we would be able to buy our hardware faster then the money actually came in.

Now it's finally on our account, so we're going to spend it :)

I'm now finetuning the specs of the pc, it currently looks like this:

Motherboard: Asus X99-E WS
CPU: Intel Core i7-5930K
Ram: 16 gb DDR4
GPU: XFX R9 290X 8GB Double Dissipation Edition
C drive: 60 gb SSD
Data drive: 1TB SSD

Still I'm not sure if I'm doing it right here. I've been looking everywhere, but i can't find any decent information about the best builds.

What I know for sure is that we need a 40 lanes cpu, so we can put the maximum of capture cards (We plan to use 6/7 slots for capture cards, eventually being able to use 24 HD inputs or 6x 4K inputs).

I found somewhere that Martin mentioned video memory is important, so I maxed that out with the R9 290x with 8GB of video memory. Not sure about the AMD vs nvidia thing, but both clockspeed and video memory should be amongst the best. I don't really care about heat or power consumption, so AMD looks like good choice.

Since vmix doesn't rely on cuda, I thought i could try it with AMD and max out the video memory. On the other hand, I never saw anyone talk about using an AMD card here, is there a good reason for this?

The motherboard looks like a good choice: it's asus, so it has a great bios, and 7 pcie gen 3 slots + the X99 chipset seem to be a badass combination to maximise the output of the system.

For the drives I chose just the cheapest SSD's, since we just use them right now to record in 50 mbit mpeg. If ever needed, we can always put some in raid for 4K video or multicorder stuff, but that's not needed (yet).

Right now we have one Yuan 4x sdi card, and a few intensity pro's that we use for component video capturing. We plan to scale up the system with more sdi connections, but only slowly, since we only have 8 camera's at the moment. For me the most important factor is scalability, if we would ever need to use more camera's, I want the system to scale without having to replace the core components.

Since it's a lot of money to spend on hardware, I wanted to check a last time on the forum here. We're going to build the pc in cooperation with a local pc shop, that also builds supercomputers for the university of Antwerp and builds some pc's for national television. The problem is they never really built a pc for software switching, so it might be some trial and error here. If anyone has some final advise, please let me know, it might save some headaches ;)

I will post some pictures when it's ready, since it will be a very special build in a huge peli-case. All screens, audio mixer,.. will be built in, so we just have to connect the camera's, network and 1 power cable.

Thanks!

IceStream  
#5 Posted : Thursday, May 7, 2015 9:45:47 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ ittaidv

I am curious as well to know how the AMD card will perform as the specs look pretty awesome, but the consensus on 'Tomshardware' favours the NVidia gtx970:

http://www.tomshardware....70-4gb-amd-290x-8gb.html

I would also consider beefing up the C drive (mine is 120 GB and I find it's barely enough to accommodate my needs)
I'm not exactly sure how you'll get 6 capture cards in there since the GPU takes up 2 slots so you might want to consider the AJA Corvid 88:

https://www.aja.com/en/p...ucts/developer/corvid-88

In terms of the Motherboard, it looks pretty good at face value but I am not clear on what or how the "x16 Link" technology works and/or if that might pose a problem with multiple HD capture cards 'sharing' bandwidth.
In any event, keep us all posted as to how it all works.

Ice