logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
madness  
#1 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 1:18:35 PM(UTC)
madness

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Martin,
I would like to request an alternate method of the "Automatic restart with transition", as it causes a small glitch when transitioning to the restarting clip.

I would like to propose the clip be reset on the transition from that clip instead of the transition to that clip, as I feel it would create a smoother transition into that clip.

IMO, it appears the clip with this option set, is starting where it left off , the transition begins, becomes visible, then the restart is initiated.
I recorded this for your viewing. the first 2 transitions into the clip are full speed. In the middle I stretched the third to slow it down, and inserted text where it jumps.

madness  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 16, 2015 2:41:37 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Here is another that shows the problem more prominently near the 4 second mark. On overlay 1, it flashes what was on screen momentarily, Then, restarts.
This is with the Automatic restart with transition unset.

Actually, I am getting strange results from the Automatic settings.
If I have Auto Ply with transition set, and Auto Restart with transition set, Enable overlay 1, then disable overlay one before the clip completes, and enable overly one again, it's not restarting, but carrying on from where is was still playing from.
It only appears to work as expected when Pause is also enabled, stopping, and resetting the clip.
admin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 6:08:24 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi,

What is the video format of the file and are you using vMix x64 or the 32bit version?

If automatically restart is enabled, vMix is actually set to restart the video as soon as the transition ends so it is all queued up correctly for next time.
My guess is there must be something strange going on with that particular format.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
madness on 3/17/2015(UTC)
madness  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 10:16:51 AM(UTC)
madness

Man

The source videos are 32bpp alpha channel .mov files, and I am using the x64 bit vMix.

What I have found is if restart is enabled, and pause is not, the video stops at the end and nothing happens, just as if pause were enabled. I thought that strange.

As stated above, I have got the desired result with Auto play, pause, and transition all enabled.

I can provide you a sample source overlay clip if you need. Let me know, and I'll upload it to my Google drive tonight.
IceStream  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 10:17:10 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ Martin

I have always had the same experience as 'madness' (typically avi's with vMix64), the video's 'restart' during the Transition In and do not reset on the Transition Out as you seem to be suggesting.
This, of course, displays the flash of the 'last frame' or 'current frame' of the video on screen before it restarts during the transition.
My workaround of sorts has been to use triggers to 'Restart' video clips before I use them again, i.e. everytime I use camera 2, the video resets, or 'Restart' them manually in "Preview" prior to use.
I never considered this to be a 'bug' since that was the exact behavior, namely: "Automatically Restart with Transition".
I always assumed that meant "Transition In" but you are suggesting the behavior should be for the video to 'Restart' at the end of a "Transition Out" to be properly queued for the next time.
That would be a desirable behavior, but that has not been the behavior I have seen with any of my video files.

Ice

EDIT: As per madness's observations, I just tried with 'pause' checked (all boxes checked) and the video does restart after 'Transition Out' (this is somewhat counter intuitive, since I don't want the video to pause)
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
admin  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 10:44:40 AM(UTC)
admin

Man

Sorry, I have just re-read your posts and note that you have paused unticked.
Can you explain why you need it to keep playing when the overlay is removed?

The issue is vMix can't know when to prepare the video for restarting if you want it to keep playing.
Also, if you want it to restart when it reaches the end I would suggest using the "loop" function.

So to summarise restart will only work correctly when paused otherwise it is assumed the video needs to be kept running from where it left off.
(And the frame jump you see is what happens when the end of the video is reached)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Martin
vMix
thanks 2 users thanked admin for this useful post.
madness on 3/17/2015(UTC), IceStream on 3/17/2015(UTC)
madness  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:08:06 AM(UTC)
madness

Man

Martin,
The desired effect is to play the overlay in the second video until it ends, and leave it displayed for as long as necessary, before moving on to the next scene, and transitioning to that new scene. This overlay will be used multiple times at the Live event.

In the flag video, it will get used only once at the beginning of the event, and to prevent the jump, I need to keep the flag loop looping, and not set the restart. Just let it play and pause only.

I'll have to play again tonight to verify everything. I appreciate your assistance in this.
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:10:46 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ Martin

Same behavior...
Both the 'Restart' and 'Pause' boxes need to be checked (in addition to 'Play') for the video to "Restart" after Transition Out.
If just 'Restart', the video pauses at end and only Restarts during Transition In.
If just 'Pause', the video pauses as expected (and picks up where ever it left off on next Transition In).
If neither, behaves the same as if just the 'Restart' is active.

Note: No audio when using as an Overlay, even though 'Mix' Audio is active.
I rarely use videos with audio as Overlays except for Stingers so I'm not sure if this is by design or not.
(BTW vMix HD 15.0.0.58 x64)

Ice
IceStream  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:26:30 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Thanks Martin,

Your explanation certainly helps to validate the behavior, perhaps some sort of notation or re-wording that the 'Restart' needs the 'Pause' to also be active to work as 'expected' is needed to help clarify the functionality.

Ice
madness  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 11:33:01 AM(UTC)
madness

Man

My overlays also include no audio IceStream.
Thanks for the verification!
madness  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 1:28:44 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

Martin,
I guess my concern is that the jump should not occur at the beginning, period.

From the selection descriptions, these would be my expectations...

Automatically play with transition: When input is selected as output, the input will play from it's current frame, unless another option overrides this.

Automatically restart with Transition: No matter where within the video it was stopped, it is immediately reset to frame 1 to restart at next use. With the out going transition complete, I would expect the clip to reset to the first frame instead of holding the last frame, unless the next option was set.

Automatically Pause after transition: Pause video at it's location when transition completes.

If it worked as per the expectations, and it was necessary to hold the last frame, there could be an additional option to hold the last frame on clip completion??? Or a specified frame???

Perhaps delay the incoming transition a few frames to avoid the jump from the last frame to the first when this is bound to occur?
IceStream  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 3:01:58 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

@ madness

I do not have a problem with the current behaviours now that I have a better understanding of how they function.
Perhaps just a re-wording and/or positioning of the tic boxes for better clarification, such as move the "Pause" option up one and off-set the "Restart" option underneath it with a change to 'after transition if paused'.
All the scenarios you present currently occur given the appropriate set-up (it's just a matter of understanding how to do it because as it is, it's not intuitive or "as expected" as you state).
The reverse problem is possible if the video were to reset at the last frame, i.e. Flash of the first frame of the video before you could Transition Out.
Creating more options has the potential to complicate and confuse the process even more.

Ice
madness on 3/18/2015(UTC)
admin  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 17, 2015 9:36:05 PM(UTC)
admin

Man

madness wrote:
Martin,
The desired effect is to play the overlay in the second video until it ends, and leave it displayed for as long as necessary, before moving on to the next scene, and transitioning to that new scene. This overlay will be used multiple times at the Live event.

In this case, you should still enable pause in the settings as it shouldn't affect playback as it will only pause when closing the overlay.
Audio will not be enabled by default with overlays, so you can disable automatic audio mixing and turn on the audio manually to keep it running.

thanks 1 user thanked admin for this useful post.
madness on 3/18/2015(UTC)
madness  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, March 18, 2015 1:00:47 PM(UTC)
madness

Man

As Mentioned Martin, I do have it working as desired. It's just not what I expected per the interface descriptions. I'm with IceStream in re-wording to make it better understood.
homeless  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:19:58 AM(UTC)
homeless

Groups:

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
admin wrote:
madness wrote:
Martin,

In this case, you should still enable pause in the settings as it shouldn't affect playback as it will only pause when closing the overlay.
Audio will not be enabled by default with overlays, so you can disable automatic audio mixing and turn on the audio manually to keep it running.

May be use triggers to enable audio from this (or another input) - as example - i use background video and some clips with sounds. And in this clips i set trigger "OnTransitionIN" to set Audio from this clip as Solo (mute previos enabled sound) or simple set ON. And set "OnCompletion" - set audio from this clip off. And when transition with 1-2-3-4 overlays - clips viewed in PiP over background with sound
madness  
#16 Posted : Thursday, March 26, 2015 8:02:51 AM(UTC)
madness

Man

Sorry if I wasn't clear. These videos don't include audio. And when they do, they work as I want them to anyway.

It was the video transitions I had trouble with.
homeless  
#17 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 12:24:00 PM(UTC)
homeless

Groups:

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Ok, madness - i create new topic with audio