logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
luthierwnc  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 20, 2015 3:48:40 PM(UTC)
luthierwnc

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello All,

I have been using a Scarlett 2i2 interface box to input an XLR mic and a 3.5 mm mic into my PC via USB 2.0 and then into vMix. It worked well for what I am doing but died a premature death. I'm looking at getting a small mixer that has more capabilities. One thing I can't quite get my arms around is the best way to get audio out of the mixer and into the PC.

Some of the better-rated small USB mixers still use USB 1.1; which might be fine for audio but it seems a bit slow in the modern world. Another concern is that the USB function is often the unit's weak link -- good for mixing but not for a clean signal out. I'm only recording (no live) so getting it the box clean is the only thing that really matters.

Using just two mics that are mixed into a single signal before they reach vMix, does USB make sense for getting audio to the PC? I'd like to have the USB connection for other reasons but would some old-fashioned audio cables into the line-in on the computer help keep things clean and flexible?

Thanks for any suggestions, Skip

PS I'm looking at the Mackie ProFX8 but any practical experience on it or other mixers would be appreciated, sh
tdurhamjr  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 10:28:12 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
I use a Behringer X1832USB for our home productions. However, I prefer to use the Main Out instead of USB. I also use a Behringer MDX4600 gate/limiter with that as well. I am very happy with that setup. For travel I use the Mackie 1202VLZ4 and I am happy with that as well (this does not have USB and I also use main out to connect to the PC. The Scarlet you have is highly rated on Amazon. You can pickup a 1/8" TRS to 1/4" TS pair for under $10 and see how it compares to the USB. If the quality is good for your needs then I could sure think of some other goodies to buy instead of another mixer if you don't need any more inputs and the one you have works well :) Just my opinion.

Tim
thanks 1 user thanked tdurhamjr for this useful post.
luthierwnc on 3/21/2015(UTC)
luthierwnc  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2015 10:43:07 AM(UTC)
luthierwnc

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Thanks tdurhamjr

I got a reply back from Focusrite that they are sending me a new Scarlett right away so the point may be moot. I'm at capacity now on that device so the next mic or input will put me back in the market. Responses here and elsewhere are evenly split between using the USB or component outs to the PC. It seems the more outs, the more popular old-school analog wins the day.

Before I heard back I soldered some guitar cables to a stereo 3.5 mm cable to compare results. I can still use it on the Scarlett outs and I have lots of guitar cables so we'll see how that works.

Thanks to all for looking, Skip

thanks 1 user thanked luthierwnc for this useful post.
computerman1597 on 3/21/2015(UTC)