logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tomeknawrat  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:41:28 PM(UTC)
tomeknawrat

Groups: Registered
Man

Hi everyone!
This might be only a stupid question or one suggestion.
Is it possible to put as an input to vMix a subtitle file, let´s say .srt file? Just how simple is to put it into VLC media player for a custom movie or video. If it´s possible, could someone explain me, how does this get made?
In case that vMix does not have that feature, would be possible to implement that some way?
It would be very useful!
Thanks very much!
Regards,
Tomek Nawrat
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 5, 2015 11:30:59 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Hi Tomek,
It is not possible to input a .srt file (or similar).

I am together with the developer of www.text-on-top.com, a professional real-time captioning solution, creating an addition that will interfase with vMix (and other software switchers). We have an alpha version running just fine, but unfortunately the developer for the moment has to priorize other things.
(see an early demo video at http://bambuser.com/v/4700540)

We will most likely include .srt "playback" (it can already playe non-timed scripts, e.g. text files).
One challenge though is that vMix's API does not offer any information about a video clips position. This is needed to sync with the .srt.

I suggest that you play the video in VLC, and screen grab it into vMix.
DYosua  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2015 6:35:00 PM(UTC)
DYosua

Man
United States

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 12 post(s)
richardgatarski wrote:

One challenge though is that vMix's API does not offer any information about a video clips position. This is needed to sync with the .srt.

I don't want to clutter the thread since it's not directly on-topic, but you can bring back a certain amount of information from the API. Inside the <input> tag for each input there are two nodes dealing with clip length - "duration" and "position." Both of these are displayed in milliseconds - so a clip that is just over 1:45 long might appear with a duration of "105088." The "position" value keeps track of where vMix is currently in the file. If you simultaneously check that the "state" node of the input is equal to "Running" and check its position value, you will know that the file is playing and where it is in the file. You could also check to see that the input number matches the <active> input number to see if the file is being sent to the active window. Of course, the vMix would need to be refreshed often enough to verify that the file hasn't completed and is still playing, but there is some information about a clip that can be brought back.

Going back to the original question, I agree about the VLC option with Desktop Capture as a workable solution for now.
richardgatarski  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2015 2:55:35 AM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Thanks DYosua!
I wasn't aware of of the position information. That for sure makes it pretty easy (in theory) to add .srt files to vMix using the API. Needs to be tested first to see if it really works ;)