logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Shinobi  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:14:41 AM(UTC)
Shinobi

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I would like to record on my new laptop and wanted to have some opinion, if the CPU is strong enough to handle vMix.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5600U with 2x 2,6ghz
Graphics adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 840M, 2GB

My main focus is on simultaneous recording from two webcams or two IP cams. The cameras will each input a 1080p 25fps video. I will probably record both inputs into one video file with two windows next to each other. I have to do this because I need to record a wide area and couldn't find a camera that has such a huge wide angle without too much distortion.

The videos will not be livestreamed. only recorded in mp4.

is the CPU powerful enough or should i go for a real quadcore CPU like the intel 4710HQ?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards!
tdurhamjr  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 4, 2015 11:00:00 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
Shinobi,
You can install a fully functional trial on your laptop and just see if it does what you want. That way there is no guessing. I would think that processor is on the low end of performance but vMix is relying on the graphics card which I think yours would be just fine. I would install the trial and give it a shot. Do you have SSD or HDD? I think that will make a difference. If you find that your laptop just does not handle the recording very well, you can always use an external recorder like the Black Magic Hyperdeck Shuttle 2 and you would send the HDMI output to that device. If your laptop does not support YCbCr color space for the HDMI output, then you would have to use an inexpensive HDMI>SDI converter and then take the SDI into the Shuttle recorder.

The recording function is available in all versions. It seems like you would only need the HD Basic for your needs. There was a post the other day that the GoPro codec is now available for use in vMix (actually any software). You might check that post out as well. Hope this helps.

Tim