logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JannikKr  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 4:46:05 AM(UTC)
JannikKr

Groups: Registered

Hello,
i'm pretty new to live streaming and live producing but facing the challenge to produce a decent live show:
The show has to be streamed to around 40 PC's running Windows or Linux (mostly Linux). I took a long time to find vMix (you should advertis more, it looks great). I tried BonixTV and Wirecast but they all seemed to not match my need. I havent bought any live streaming equipment yet because i want to know from you, want you think about my idea of the setup:
UserPostedImage
(Click for large version)

I have some good cameras allready and some powerfull Mac's and PC's. Look at the picture of how i imagine it all. Could this work? Do you have any better idea's? Budget is around 2000€ (~2250$). Setup now is at around 1200€ (~1360$). ATEM, Recorder, vMix and Wowza needed to be bought.

Thank you for your time. May this work ;)

PS: No internet connection at the streaming place. Only a local network (LAN).
Beloved  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 9:19:52 AM(UTC)
Beloved

Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The BM TV Studio is a hardware switcher that comes with its own software. You'll have to use the BM TV Studio Switcher software to switch between one of the 6 inputs on the BM TV Studio, vMix will only see things as one input in the configuration vision you've shared. Your vision, similar to mine when I first started out, would be better suited to getting BM PCIe cards for the computer you run vMix on. The BM Quad and Duo cards are the best options to add inputs for vMix to use for switching, these cards both use SDI in/out but only one direction per channel. There are many other cards available, look and research all the ones available under supported hardware tab on this Website. You might also want to consider an external thunderbolt2 SSD drive enclosure to store your video on. I hope this helps, there are a lot of others more experienced here than I and I'm sure they'll have more info for you. I too wished I would have found vMix sooner, like before I bought all the similar stuff you're looking at. I could have bought enough PCIe cards to equal the TV studio input capacity for about the same money. Be well dear friend.

Beloved
JannikKr  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 10:40:42 AM(UTC)
JannikKr

Thank your for your quick answer.
For now, i have two MacBook Pro Retina 15' available. Thus i have to PCIe to put any card in. For the event, i have a little crew, so one can switch the inputs, one can control vMix and one can direct like "Come on, get cam 3 on the screen". :D
I'm pretty sure the hardware part will work, but because i'm realy new to streaming, i was wondering, wether the software will do the job as i expect it to do.
tdurhamjr  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 10:52:24 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
@ JannikKr
Have you already purchased all this equipment or is this just what you are thinking of getting? I think you will find it very advantageous to run everything on 1 computer and use vMix as the switcher. If you only have 2 cameras you can run the Magewell SDI>USB3 capture devices or Magewell HDMI>USB3 capture cards depending on what cameras you run. For our games on the road I use 2 of these plus run replays and 2 commentators on a laptop.

Tim
JannikKr  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 12:27:53 PM(UTC)
JannikKr

@tdurhamjr:
I have a few cameras (two with full hd SDI or HDMI out; two with full hd HDMI only output). Also, i got two MacBook. Therefore, it would be possible to run vMix on one MacBook and Wowza on the other.
So, i have not bought the switcher, recorder and software. But we have many cameras; 6 in total (a friend has two more full hd SDI/HDMI cameras).
The Laptops: 2x MacBook Pro Retina 15'' 2,5 GHz Intel i4 (4th generation), 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 750 M (2GB DDR5), 512GB SSD | would run windows to support vMix | pretty fast boys :)
I could lend some Windows PC's with a better grafikcard (GTX 760), cuz vMix is GPU accelerated, but does it make that kind of a diverens? And would Wowza support multiple computer,; so some sort of cluster.
Speegs  
#6 Posted : Saturday, February 21, 2015 8:02:46 PM(UTC)
Speegs

Was thanked: 76 time(s) in 58 post(s)
JannikKr wrote:
@tdurhamjr:
I have a few cameras (two with full hd SDI or HDMI out; two with full hd HDMI only output). Also, i got two MacBook. Therefore, it would be possible to run vMix on one MacBook and Wowza on the other.
So, i have not bought the switcher, recorder and software. But we have many cameras; 6 in total (a friend has two more full hd SDI/HDMI cameras).
The Laptops: 2x MacBook Pro Retina 15'' 2,5 GHz Intel i4 (4th generation), 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GT 750 M (2GB DDR5), 512GB SSD | would run windows to support vMix | pretty fast boys :)
I could lend some Windows PC's with a better grafikcard (GTX 760), cuz vMix is GPU accelerated, but does it make that kind of a diverens? And would Wowza support multiple computer,; so some sort of cluster.

VMix runs well via bootcamp on the Macbook Pros, well as well as it does on most PCs with the same specs. (Those are well spec laptop).

You can use more than one Wowza server, you just have to pay for the extra license.

You could either stream to both Wowza Servers. Or it maybe more efficient for your laptop to have Wowza server 1, push publish a feed to Wowza server 2.

I use Wowza to push publish to Youtube live all the time. So Wowza is great for low latency streaming. Youtube live is great for long term storage/playback of your stream, a backup in case your Wowza server is having a bad day and well.. You don't pay for the bandwidth from Youtube --> The Masses :):):)

Now the Macbook Pro has 2 Thunderbolt and 2 USB 3 Ports (no built in ethernet). You will find that your limiting factor. There are ways around.

I recommend getting a Thunderbolt 2 dock, which expands your usb ports, gives a ethernet. http://www.belkin.com/au/p/P-F4U085/ was the one that my team came up with after much research. We considered size, ports, weight etc..

So now you can add more Magewell USB 3 captures devices and maybe 1 x BM Mini Recorder to get loads of video into the vmix computer :) Just some ideas.. I've been down a similar road, not the same of course.