logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ihtus  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:15:30 PM(UTC)
ihtus

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I am looking to implement 2 new PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom) cameras in our church.
The requirements for PTZ camera:
- HDMI output
- ability to insert micro sd card and record video locally on camera
- 1080p

The best I was able to find is PTZ camera with 1080p and HDMI out, but with no memory slot.

Does anybody know a PTZ with memory slot?
Any ideas?

Thank you.

EDIT:
found about Pan/Tilt motorized heads, so a generic camcorder can be mounted on it.
That means I won't be able to control zoom with a control panel (joystick).
Rehan  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 12:57:35 PM(UTC)
Rehan

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
ihtus wrote:
found about Pan/Tilt motorized heads, so a generic camcorder can be mounted on it.

That's what I have set up in our mosque, using a Bescor MP-101. I use this to combine PT and Z: http://expedition-electr.../pantilt/pantiltlanc.htm ... It has worked very reliably for almost a year now. Currently, we have one camera but may be installing a second later this year.

I have a PC from which we show Powerpoint slides and other PC-based content, and the software for this controller runs on that PC. When the PC is turned on, the camera powers up automatically (via this power bar) and Windows boots up with the software up and running. I'm currently using a PS3 controller as the joystick, but you could probably also use a 3-axis joystick like the Everfocus EKB200.

The main drawbacks for me with this setup compared to a regular PTZ camera are the (much) slower speed of the motor, and the lack of preset positions.

If you have 2 cameras, you will need 2 PCs to control them. You can pick up an Asus VivoPC for under $250 at Amazon and elsewhere. It's compact, powerful enough, and inexpensive. (Or you could get a refurbished PC from Newegg/Staples for $100-$150.)

For recording, I use AverMedia Live Gamer Portable (LGP) devices rather than the camera itself, because the camera is mounted up on a wall out of normal reach. One LGP is connected to the output of the video camera to record the clean feed, and another LGP is connected to the output from vMix to record any mixed output with powerpoint slides. Once in a blue moon, I have had some hiccups in the recording process (LGP recorded blank file, or someone just forgot to press record on one of them), so it's good to have the other as a backup. You could use the LGP with the regular PTZ cameras (with HDMI output), too, if you don't want to bother with a Pan/tilt motor head setup.

Let me know if you have any questions or want additional info.
Jim_C  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:06:36 PM(UTC)
Jim_C

United States

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
ihtus wrote:
Hi,

I am looking to implement 2 new PTZ (pan, tilt, zoom) cameras in our church.
The requirements for PTZ camera:
- HDMI output
- ability to insert micro sd card and record video locally on camera
- 1080p

The best I was able to find is PTZ camera with 1080p and HDMI out, but with no memory slot.

Does anybody know a PTZ with memory slot?
Any ideas?

Thank you.

EDIT:
That means I won't be able to control zoom with a control panel (joystick).

Skip the memory slot. If you have runs longer than 75' look at SDI cameras.

The Sony H100s (SDI) the Sony SRG300H (HDMI) or the Sony BRCH700 (SDI) if you REALLY have the budget and want quality, a Sony PTZ controller, and PC with an SDI or HDMI input card + VMix. There is also software available that will let you skip the Sony controller and control the cameras from a single PC.
Rehan  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 10:51:01 PM(UTC)
Rehan

FWIW, I've tested the Sony SRG-300H in our setup, and I found its HDMI output latency/delay to be too high for our use in the live production setting. The vMix output is shown on several 47"-60" TVs in our halls, and with the SRG-300H the video on the TVs (output from vMix) was noticeable out of sync with the sound output from the ceiling speakers (straight from the audio mixer). I'm also converting from HDMI to SDI and back to HDMI for signal distribution to the TVs, so that added a little bit to the delay as well.

The delay is 30ms lower on the Sony HVR-V1U we already had, and that makes the sync unnoticeable on the TVs unless you look very closely. So I decided to go with the camcorder + Bescor setup instead, and I have had no complaints about sync in the year it has been used.

If you are not doing IMAG and/or you have a simple output path, the SRG-300H is a good choice. I had a demo unit from a reseller in Toronto, so I was able to try it without buying it first... Send me a PM if you want the name/info.
Jim_C  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 10, 2015 11:05:14 PM(UTC)
Jim_C

United States

Rehan wrote:
FWIW, I've tested the Sony SRG-300H in our setup, and I found its HDMI output latency/delay to be too high for our use in the live production setting.

Bummer. Was this with 720, 1080 or both.

Thanks
Rehan  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 12:41:50 AM(UTC)
Rehan

Jim_C wrote:
Rehan wrote:
FWIW, I've tested the Sony SRG-300H in our setup, and I found its HDMI output latency/delay to be too high for our use in the live production setting.

Bummer. Was this with 720, 1080 or both.

Thanks

At both 1080p and 1080i. The native resolution on both the SRG-300H and my TVs is 1080p, so I was hoping that would be better...but it wasn't. I summarized my latency tests and numbers at http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=2178

The camcorder's output latency is about 30ms, but the SRG-300H latency was around 60-80ms. By itself, that's not a problem. But in a vMix setup with SDI<>HDMI conversion, it wasn't usable for live video.
ihtus  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:45:27 PM(UTC)
ihtus

Thank you Rehan and others for your replies.

I was digging more in this and decided that is better to have a separate PT or PTZ head + camcorder, than having a all in one PTZ system.

Rehan, thank you for sharing your setup.

I would like to have the ability to save presets of camera position, and that USB controller + software does not allow that.

I found some products from RushWorks.tv:
- PT-Mini (799$) - it's a modified Bescor MP101
- RS-422 controller (59$) - this controller permits to connect to a keyboard controller.

See this video how it works -

This system is quite expensive...

I am looking for a way to connect "Bescor MP101" and LANC to a keyboard controller. That means I need a controller like RS-422

Any alternative to system like rushworks is providing?

Thanks.
Jim_C  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:34:38 PM(UTC)
Jim_C

United States

If you decide to swing back towards PTZ look up RexCAM by Videobotics. PC based software that will control PTZ cameras (with presets). Dan sells complete kits or just the software. His site is a bit dated and you have to contact him for current prices but he is still very much in business and updating his software.

Egriswold  
#9 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2015 11:10:51 AM(UTC)
Egriswold

Man
United States

Was thanked: 33 time(s) in 32 post(s)
For software control check out http://www.ptzcontroller.com/
If you or anyone else is looking for really nice PTZ cameras and controller we sell these PTZ Cameras (Sony 1/2 chip block)
And this Controller
We have sold a number of these with our Stream Breeze systems and they work fantastic
ihtus  
#10 Posted : Saturday, February 14, 2015 9:37:47 AM(UTC)
ihtus

Thank you guys, but I think I would with a separate PT head + my generic camcorder, than all in one PTZ camcorders.
Ittaidv  
#11 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 7:18:25 AM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
Anyone who has experience with the KATO ptz cams? They have some very cheap models. I once had a demo from the manifacturer over skype, but I couldn't really see the image quality, since their internet connection was very bad.

http://katocctv.en.aliba...o_Conference_Camera.html

Some guys at the blackmagic forums tested one of their cams, here you can find a review:

http://www.atemuser.com/...t/kt-hdc-kato-ptz-camera

They also have a control unit that doesn't seem bad:

http://www.atemuser.com/...e-control-unit-visca-ptz

And one guy even recorded a concert with these cams:

http://www.atemuser.com/...live-recording-cheap-ptz

Right now I'm a bit scared to buy this, but if anyone is brave enough to give it a try, please update on the forums ;)
ihtus  
#12 Posted : Friday, February 20, 2015 9:16:11 AM(UTC)
ihtus

I made the decision to use the (just) controller here: http://www.artivisuals.nl/prod04.htm

Will get a Bescor MP101 from internet (it's cheaper than from artivisuals.nl, just will have to mount the controller on the head)
http://www.bhphotovideo...._Motorized_Pan_Head.html

And will get a PTZ joystick keyboard like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item3f0f6a7c80
again, it's cheaper from ebay

Will do that upgrade in future.
Don't want to go with all in one PTZ cameras.. because if any mechanic part will break.. all the PTZ camera package -> to the garbage or expensive repair.

With a separate head + controller + PTZ keyboard + camera - it's cheaper and easier to replace.

Note: Camcorder should have LANC remote port.