logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
chris  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:29:25 AM(UTC)
chris

Groups: Registered

hello friends,
I want to build up budget vmix system for our church with two camera using two decklink mini recorder. will you please guide me??
which motherboard, processor,etc I have to use?
tnorrell  
#2 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 1:48:07 AM(UTC)
tnorrell

Was thanked: 13 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Decklink mini; Internal (PCIe) or external (Thunderbolt)?

HD Camera; how far away from the switcher will your camera's be? HDMI doesn't carry it's signal integrity nearly as far as SDI. And can connections can slip out of their socket far too easily. If you're planning on using two HDMI cameras, 10-30ft (depending on the grade of HDMI cable you use) is about all you'll want to trust.

Other than that... any i5 with 8GB or RAM or more will be able to get you where you want to be.

As far as motherboard, I would suggest that you will need enough room for a nice graphics card, most of which take up 2 PCIe slots. And, in addition to the two decklink cards, you might want to look into a decklink monitor, which will allow you to push the signal to an in house projector.

So you're mother board needs start to look like this 3x PCIe for decklink cards, 1x PCIe for graphics card. any mother board that supports 5 PCIs slots will get you where you need to be.

If you have more specific questions, I'll be more than happy to address them.

note: here is my build, and why I went with the parts I did (http://forums.vmix.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&t=3163). It's way way overkill for what you need, but will give you some idea of the thought process that went into the selection process I made.
thanks 1 user thanked tnorrell for this useful post.
chris on 2/12/2015(UTC)
Charssay  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 5:19:27 AM(UTC)
Charssay

Was thanked: 18 time(s) in 18 post(s)
Dear Tnorell

Our friend is asking for a budget system, then he is seeing to be carefull with the cost
I will go then straight for him

Being already in India, most time church there are not so big. Could you please tell me how big is your church Chris ?
The distance where you think you will place your camera and your Vmix System ?

Did you have already your Deck Mini recorder (I think is internal)
Did you have already your Camera ? Could I know the model ?

Did you want to send also the image to a big screen monitor or no ?

According to your request I gues you need only a system to capture the video and manage them after ?

if you can give some of these input we can try to help you. But notice that you have laready in Supported hardware a clue of what you can buy ?

C.
thanks 1 user thanked Charssay for this useful post.
chris on 2/12/2015(UTC)
chris  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 5:57:48 AM(UTC)
chris

Thank you Tnorrel & Charssay for your guidance

our church is not so big so we can place camera near by vmix system.
we have one sony pxw-160 camera with SDI out & another one is sony a7ii with clean HDMI out.
we have not purchase bm decklink mini recorder yet but planning to purchase.
we don't want big screen monitor or any other out just wants a system for capturing $ editing.
also suggest which graphic card I have to use?
Charssay  
#5 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:41:31 AM(UTC)
Charssay

Dear Chris

The max relevant distance with the HDMI is 10 meter (30 feet) without adding any extender, I will advice you to get good quality HDMI cable then. If you bought the HDMi cable with the standard 24 Awg you can go up to 20 meter without boosting the signal

For your motherboard, you have plenty of Choice

Budget Computer can be balanced with AMD and Intel Cpu

If you go to an intel Cpu the minimum I5 system will be good enough.
Motherboard having two PCI Express 16X so you can you the last one to put the graphic card and have two pci express 1x free

If you go to and AMD System, that will help you to have a big look on your budget, get an FX 8350 as the minimum requirement in that case
You cans also use an AMD System with and AMD APU A10 that have already a good grapfic card embbeded that will have you to not looking after and other graphic card to add

In the two first exemple, use a mininum if available for your budget a GTX 650, but its not mandatory, you can have also simple ATI/AMD R7 250 that will respond very good and a simple Gt 630 to 730 will be enough also and have a low price comparing with a GTX 650

I don't give you the exact motherboard model you must get, because your system is not too hard and don't look to complicate in the hardware you want to buy also.
Be only carefull in the disposition of the PCI express port if you want to use an add on VGA card.
Go look in the net a compare some entry level Motherboard that can feet, you will not spend more than 100 USD for this.

If you want to use an AMD with APU System, like the A10, without counting the HDD, and without adding the price of the BM card, you can spend around 450 USD
If you want to use and FX, you can spend 500 USD
If you want to use the Intel system, you can spend around 600 and 700 USD if you add the grafic card

This price is randomly picked (can be up or down), and can only give an idea.

C.
chris on 2/12/2015(UTC)
chris  
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:28:27 AM(UTC)
chris

Thank you very much Charssay
for graphic card & processior I am much satisfied with your explanation. but you said that mother board with two PCI express x16 is enough. I am not able to get it. one PCIe x16 will be for graphic card after that we have to manage two BM video card. so I think two more PCIe slot will be needed?? I search and like one motherboard Asus Z87-k is it ok?
Charssay  
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 10:49:42 AM(UTC)
Charssay

Dear Chris

Yes, This one is Ok
As he is an Intel system, then don't bother to add a graphic card then, use the embedded HD graphique of your I5 or i7 at your choice, you will get
But if you insist to have an Add on Vga Card, use an I5 and one GT or GTX as explain, and in this motherboard, put it on the First pci Express 16 X, so you can have space for your BM

the cost of this one is around 100 to 150 USD

C.

chris on 2/12/2015(UTC)
chris  
#8 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 3:16:32 PM(UTC)
chris

Thanks charssay
Your suggestions are really very helpful for me
God bless you
fordry  
#9 Posted : Thursday, February 12, 2015 8:13:55 PM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
I will chime in and say that we tried to run an i5 system without a discreet graphics card, using the built-in graphics on the i5 and vmix crashed all over the place. It didn't handle it at all. Works perfectly with a Geforce GT 610 1GB.
thanks 1 user thanked fordry for this useful post.
chris on 2/12/2015(UTC)
chris  
#10 Posted : Friday, February 13, 2015 1:13:56 AM(UTC)
chris

Thank you Fordry.
I will keep your suggestion in my mind. It's really helpful