logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tdurhamjr  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 1:38:53 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
We have to stream the playoff games on a different system due to media rights, etc. The company we will use has their own "streaming software". When I open that software I can choose vMix as a Camera source and Vmix Audio as the audio source. However, it ONLY shows the vMix test screen and never changes. The audio is fine. but the actual vmix live window is not shown. I installed xSplit and tested it for the same functionality and it works fine. Can anyone tell me what I need to do to get the vMix "live windows" work as a virtual camera instead of the vmix "Test Screen" (color bars) ?

I really need to get vMix going for the game tomorrow as I need vMix for our game recording and overall production. I will not be using the "Streaming" function in vMix. I simply want vMix to be a virtual camera for the other software. Any help will be appreciated.

Rehan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 2:50:08 AM(UTC)
Rehan

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Do you have the "vMix Video Device" enabled in the External Output settings, and the External Output started?

http://www.vmixhd.com/he....htm?ExternalOutput.html
tdurhamjr  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 8:55:32 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Rehan wrote:
Do you have the "vMix Video Device" enabled in the External Output settings, and the External Output started?

http://www.vmixhd.com/he....htm?ExternalOutput.html

Martin I do have that enabled. I was running 15 so I downgraded back to 14.112 and still the same thing. do u have to have the stream button clicked? If so there is no option to just output vmix video. You have to have have one of the live streaming options filled in.
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:24:13 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ tdurhamjr

If you don't mind me asking, what is the "streaming software"?

Ice
Kelvin  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:25:09 AM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
I do this all the time for the Livestream.com platform. Instead of having the Streaming button pushed, you need to have the External button pushed (and the setting for External Output configured). Works great.
tdurhamjr  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:36:49 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

The only problem is that my laptop does not have an external output device so the External button can not be used. I actually use the Full Screen option to send the output to the second monitor (HDMI output on laptop) and that goes to my hyper deck shuttle to record the event output.

There has to be a bug because vMix outputs a virtual Camera signal, but it always remains the color bar page and not the vmix output.

tdurhamjr  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 9:42:30 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

IceStream wrote:
@ tdurhamjr

If you don't mind me asking, what is the "streaming software"?

Ice

Ice
it is Play On Sports. In the USA we have 2 companies that provide streaming services for high school sports. This is one of them. Their proprietary software actually pushes up thru Adobe FME but the passwords are all encrypted in the software so u cant just copy the RMTP URL and stream code that u see in FME.
The other company is TheCube.Com .
IceStream  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:09:31 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ tdurhamjr

Does the order in which you 'launch' each software make a difference?
I have experienced in the past (other switcher) where FMLE only "picks up" the first signal it senses from the virtual input so if you are not launched and sending a signal, it will not detect any subsequent signals being sent.

Ice
Rehan  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:16:54 AM(UTC)
Rehan

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
tdurhamjr wrote:
The only problem is that my laptop does not have an external output device so the External button can not be used. I actually use the Full Screen option to send the output to the second monitor (HDMI output on laptop) and that goes to my hyper deck shuttle to record the event output.

There has to be a bug because vMix outputs a virtual Camera signal, but it always remains the color bar page and not the vmix output.

On my PC, I also output on Full Screen using the HDMI of the main video card as there is no other output card in the computer. I use FMLE for streaming, which is configured to get video from "vMix Video Device"...pretty much the same as what you're trying to do. I believe the test pattern is from FMLE, not vMix.

If I start FMLE without vMix running, it comes up with the test pattern, like this:

UserPostedImage

If I then start vMix without the External Output started, nothing changes in FMLE. As soon as I click on the "External" button to start the External Output, FMLE begins getting the vMix output.

You don't have to use or configure anything in the Streaming options of vMix.
tdurhamjr  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:24:13 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Ice,
Thanks for the reply and input. I think that it is picking up the virtual camera from vmix. The problem is that vmix is sending over the color bar instead of the vMix Output screen.
tdurhamjr attached the following image(s):
vMix Virtual Camera Problem 1.jpg (475kb) downloaded 9 time(s).

You cannot view/download attachments. Try to login or register.
tdurhamjr  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:32:08 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Rehan wrote:
tdurhamjr wrote:

On my PC, I also output on Full Screen using the HDMI of the main video card as there is no other output card in the computer. I use FMLE for streaming, which is configured to get video from "vMix Video Device"...pretty much the same as what you're trying to do. I believe the test pattern is from FMLE, not vMix.

If I start FMLE without vMix running, it comes up with the test pattern, like this:

UserPostedImage

If I then start vMix without the External Output started, nothing changes in FMLE. As soon as I click on the "External" button to start the External Output, FMLE begins getting the vMix output.

Hmmmmmm. I think you are right that this is coming from Adobe FME. What is very odd is that when I setup xSplit and do the same test, it actually pulls in the xSplit virtual camera. So I don't know if this is just a configuration issue or a vmix program bug.
tdurhamjr  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:34:23 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Rehan wrote:
tdurhamjr wrote:

UserPostedImage

Thanks Rehan, I went back and clicked the External button and it works :) I thought I tested this last night but it was late and I was cross eyed!!

Thanks to all who jumped in and helped!

Tim
tdurhamjr  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 3:43:07 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

I realize now what the problem was and posting in case someone else ever runs into it. I would think it is rare that someone is actually using vmix as a "virtual camera" instead of streaming direct but obviously there are situations where that is needed as was my case.

In the External Output settings, I was selecting NONE for the device and you have to have SAMPLE OUTPUT selected. Martin you may consider renaming "Sample Output" to "Virtual Camera" or "Virtual Output". That would make it straight forward :) But I am not complaining. I love my vMix!!

Tim
admin  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 11, 2015 10:51:15 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4136 time(s) in 1487 post(s)
Hi Tim,

You don't need to select Sample Output, just make sure External Renderer checkbox is unticked (the default) and it will work fine.

Regards,

Martin
vMix