logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PER Productions  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2014 10:45:37 AM(UTC)
PER Productions

Groups: Registered

Hi All,

Im looking for some recommendations for computers or laptops that will run Vmix and support everything.

Im wanting to build up a VMIX based system to use for live green screen and small streaming jobs.

I have had similar systems in the past but not software based. Im also a mac person, so really out of touch with whats out there for windows.

Would need to get 1 or 2 cameras in at some point, so i know i will need to add capture devices.

Any links to systems etc would be great!
Ittaidv  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 29, 2014 4:02:54 PM(UTC)
Ittaidv

Man
Belgium

Was thanked: 91 time(s) in 75 post(s)
PER Productions wrote:
Hi All,

Im looking for some recommendations for computers or laptops that will run Vmix and support everything.

Im wanting to build up a VMIX based system to use for live green screen and small streaming jobs.

I have had similar systems in the past but not software based. Im also a mac person, so really out of touch with whats out there for windows.

Would need to get 1 or 2 cameras in at some point, so i know i will need to add capture devices.

Any links to systems etc would be great!

There's ton's of threads with people recommending systems. If you want to be completely sure and are not up for experimentation just check out this page: http://www.vmixhd.com/systems/
These guys make complete Vmix systems that work out of the box ;)
PER Productions  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2014 7:23:05 AM(UTC)
PER Productions

Yes i have had a look about, but was wanting some actual links and recommendations for of the shelf PC's or Laptops.

The link you provided i have also looked at, but as i'm in the UK, it doesn't really help.

Thanks
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 30, 2014 2:11:21 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 504 time(s) in 473 post(s)
From that @ PER Productions

A lot also depends on what kind of budget you are working with!
vMix is quite versatile and works well with multiple, if not most, hardware configurations, even a mac running bootcamp. Undoubtedly the better your components, the more you can accomplish with a particular system, but the bottom line is, what do you need to get it to do what you want?
Unlike the Mac World, there are a gazillion different permutations of PC systems, and sometimes knowing the various components of a "brand name" off the shelf PC is next to impossible to know.
I would suggest using the "trial period" to test with what you have already and figure out where the shortcomings may be. From that, I would browse the forum and supported hardware page with regards to the components I want and can afford and cross reference for any compatibility issues.
It can be a tedious process, but if you are intent on "building" your own system and saving a few bucks, then it is well worth the effort.
Failing that, as described earlier, there are several resellers that have done all that and build systems that are turn key solutions.

Ice
h2video.nl  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 31, 2014 7:02:55 AM(UTC)
h2video.nl

Man

Was thanked: 45 time(s) in 39 post(s)
hi, I use ssd's in all my vmix systems. my main machine two ssd's in raid.
lightning fast and reliable.

recently i upgraded one of my laptops and replaced it for a new samsung 250gb evo ssd. to my suprise this samsung can be turbo charged and one evo will perform almost as fast as two ssd's in raid ( meadured with bm disk tool)

i have now swapped two of my older ssd's for these new evo type ssd. this way you have more options if you want to record in higher bitrates and even 2k. not sure about 4k but the point is that i consider ssd's to be the way to go in vmix systems.

after recording ( and in a break) i copy the file through usb3 to a portable hdd. i even tested recording to hdd over usb3 directly and for simple 720p or 1080p25 pal recording this is no problem too.

i keep my vmix systems clean and only install the most important programmes. so a 120gb disk is sufficient and after recording i copy the files to my backup hdd usb3 and remove the files from the system.

further advantages of ssd: light, cool and easy to manage. an pricewise very interesting....
backup i use 2tb portable usb3 hdd, also easy to move arround, and when full the go into the archive.

stefan