logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
davesuemcbride  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 21, 2014 9:48:54 PM(UTC)
davesuemcbride

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
Not so much a support question as brainstorming, and clearly not the right fit for most usages, but has anyone tried running vMix in the cloud?

Advantages would be avoiding the lugging of big CPU's to the venue, potential for better encoding via faster cloud server offerings, ability to produce and monitor offsite, and probably a few others in infrastructure management and cost.

Disadvantages are severe though:

- Inputs: most usages use capture cards and/or physical inputs (sound) - that clearly won't work in the cloud,

- Mixer UI: Nice to see what's going on with the camera inputs, but video doesn't do well at all over RDP...

In my specific case these aren't big issues - my cameras are spread over a mile long venue, so I have to stream them anyway (Cube -> vMix RTSP input over PTP WiFi), and the nature of the content is such that cuts don't have to be closely timed.

The key I think would be automation, which is where the vMix API comes in. Basically, the vast majority of input switching would be done by an abstracted production layer in HTML / Flash / iOS etc, used by non-technical commentators at the venue. RDP would mainly come into play for initial setup and technical troubleshooting.

A few keys that would make it all work:

- Really fast and solid broadband service, since all live inputs would need to be bundled to the cloud,
- Ability to slow down the refresh rate of the vMix UI - small and low frame rate input windows for example. I think this already exists, though I'm not familiar yet having not needed it before,
- Ability to provide a low bitrate and low latency stream of camera inputs for the abstracted production console(s) - you can't fly totally blind without seeing what's coming in on the cameras (running camera inputs through a low-latency Wowza application with transcoding for example - basically a splitter),
- Quick and certain automatic recovery from stream connection issues,
- Streaming of audio-only inputs, say from TeamSpeak or a mixer, but without any sort of physical connection (Virtual Audio Cable?),
- Continued completeness of the vMix API for controlling virtually everything one can do via the UI (Thank you Martin!)

My fear is I'm missing something obvious, especially in hardware (acceleration?) or OS (Server 2012?) compatability. Any interest in kicking around the topic?

Thanks,
David McBride
doyousee.me  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 22, 2014 7:16:33 AM(UTC)
doyousee.me

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 10 time(s) in 10 post(s)
how would you get your inputs into your cloudmachine?

I use 4 to 6 times full hd input, and while most of my servers have an internetfeed op 10gbps, my eventlocations don't

(recoding to different resolutions etc is already a cloud service in our platform)

M@ik