logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
computerman1597  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 2:30:56 PM(UTC)
computerman1597

Groups: Registered

I am working on a system for streaming and recording services for a church service. We have about $600 to spend for the pc (not including capture card). We currently have a single Canon Vixia HF M400 on a manfrotto tripod, and are currently happy with the quality of the recorded video. The goal is to allow for streaming video to the internet live (probably at 360p due to current internet speed), and to insert power points and lower thirds live for the stream, and to record to reduce editing time later.

I was thinking I would use a single BlackMagic Decklink mini recorder as an input for vmix. The powerpoint would come in over the screen capture from the presentation computer. I would like to be able to add more capture cards of the same type later, if we were to add more cameras. This is the pc that I have com up with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/computerman1597/saved/9BgZxr

Would this be powerful enough computer for single camera 720p capture and streaming, and would it physically be capable of handling more mini recorders later if we wanted to add mor cameras (possibly up to 3 without making other changes). I know that we would probably want to add a graphics card if we were to do a lot of cameras, and we would plan on doing that soon. We would like to get the mini recorder and graphics card next year under a new budget, but would like to get all of the pc built under what is left of this years budget.

Basically, would the computer above be able to hanle two to three mini recorder cards in the future?
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 4:25:15 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 504 time(s) in 473 post(s)
@ computerman1597

I am not all that familiar with the components you have chosen, it looks like it should work on a superficial glance but I would beef up your hard drive (if you plan on recording) and seriously consider getting a dedicated graphics card (since that will take considerable load off your CPU).

I suggest searching through the forum for compatibility issues with the components you select and cross-reference with the supported hardware page:
http://www.vmixhd.com/supported-hardware.aspx

You don't have to go all out from the get go, but you want to be able to 'expand" as you are able. I would be inclined to design your "dream machine" or at least one that will accomplish all your objectives down the road and scale back to the bare necessities to get started.

I would also suggest testing with the trial version on something that you already have (hopefully in the same class of what you want to build) to help figure out what direction you may need to take.

Keep us posted as to how you make out.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
computerman1597 on 12/1/2014(UTC)
computerman1597  
#3 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2014 5:03:02 PM(UTC)
computerman1597

Thanks.

I do plan on getting a dedicated graphics card in the near future, probably something like a GTX 650 in the near future. As far as the hard drive, I have an SSD for the OS, software, and any media I need to play on the vmix PC. The 160GB Hard drive will only be for recording, all recordings will be transfered for archival elsewhere.

I searched for the Motherboard, and found an old post saying that decklink cards work with the ASUS Motherboard I picked:

http://forums.vmix.com.au/default.aspx?g=posts&t=2740

According to the Newegg page the motherboard can run a single PCIe x16 or Dual x8 on the PCIe 3.0, plus a PCIe 2.0 at x4 (which i believe is enough for a decklink quad), and 4 x1. Theoretically this would be enough for a single high end graphics card plus a decklink quad and a totall of four decklink mini recorders or mini monitors. Of course, most of the rest of the computer would need to be beefed up, but its nice to know that the motherboard can at lest theoretically support it.

One more quick question is, if we wanted to show the program feed on a monitor elsewhere in the building, how well does just using an output from the graphics card fed to the monitor with vmix set to fullscreen on that monitor work?

Newegg:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132116&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=
tdurhamjr  
#4 Posted : Sunday, December 7, 2014 3:25:18 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 24 time(s) in 21 post(s)
My old streaming PC is running an i7-3770, 32gb ram, GeForce GT 630 (2gb??). Had a Decklink Quad and a Decklink Mini in it. This setup had absolutely no problem (just not enough inputs). As IceStream has stated, you got to get you a video card. You can get one a GTX 650 for cheap. Here is a used one on ebay for $50 http://www.ebay.com/itm/...amp;hash=item3a9d105e20.

Of course within a year you will be wanting to build a bigger PC with more inputs, more outputs, more monitors..... :) So spending $600-$700 the first go around is not too bad.
Tim

computerman1597  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 8, 2014 2:51:47 PM(UTC)
computerman1597

As far as graphics cards, what would you guys recommend?