logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
HighViewSport  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 3:10:16 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to give the commentators in our sports productions a live real time view of our vmix output?

This would help the production giving them the option to talk about graphics that are on screen such as team lists and referees names etc in a sports game.
It has not really been a problem as they have been quite close but we have recent be working in a venue that puts them 100 or even 200 meters away from us. The venue does have local wifi and lan.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Bryan
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 4:57:42 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
Have you looked into the help file?
Hint, look for "Fullscreen" and "External"
HighViewSport  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 5:22:03 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Thanks Richard.

Sorry everyone. I should have mentioned I would like advice on how to get the external output from our vmix system to commentators as in wireless or cable suggestions over that distance. I have a mini monitor card free for SDI but what about reliable wireless? and can SDI cover 200 meters? Its also a very expensive cable to run for commentators.

Thanks
r@wisla  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 5:37:05 PM(UTC)
r@wisla

Man

Was thanked: 40 time(s) in 37 post(s)
If it's for commentators only you could send them SD dignal only. It all depends of cable quality, but its possible to send SD SDI over 300 meters. If you need HD, there should be HD-SDI signal repeater after 100 meters.
Kelvin  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 5:49:48 PM(UTC)
Kelvin

Was thanked: 37 time(s) in 37 post(s)
You could convert a VGA output to standard composite SD video and send it over inexpensive coax. 1000ft (300m) is less than $100.
IceStream  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 6:34:11 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ HighViewSport

Personally, I would opt for SD thru coax if you have that capability.
If wifi is an option over the same lan, is vMix Screen Capture a possibility?
I'm not sure how much of a delay there would be or if it would affect performance, just seems feasible...

Ice
tdurhamjr  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 12:03:25 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
HighViewSport wrote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on ways to give the commentators in our sports productions a live real time view of our vmix output?

This would help the production giving them the option to talk about graphics that are on screen such as team lists and referees names etc in a sports game.
It has not really been a problem as they have been quite close but we have recent be working in a venue that puts them 100 or even 200 meters away from us. The venue does have local wifi and lan.

Bryan

I have cables that run from my production PC to the commentators, I have my screen duplicated to them so that they see exactly what I see. This way they can see what is in the que (intant replays, their own camera, etc) and they know when we go live off of a commercial break. I also bring their camera up in preview so they know I am about to switch to them. It works really well.

I just recently got the Telestrator SWF file from NjaStad (here on this forum) and it is AWESOME ($15). We use the instant replay (video delay) extensively all throughout the game. So next week the commentators will still have the duplicate monitor of my monitor, but they will also have a 22" Touchscreen Monitor that they will use for the actual Telestrating on the replays. I will play with that setup tomorrow to fine tune it and make sure all works well.

I am only using 25' cables to drop down to my commentators in a room under me. If I had to go 300-500 feet, I would use an HDMI to SDI converter and run the cable all the way to them (as IceStream stated). You can send the SDI over a long distance. You could either 1) get an SDI monitor for them or 2) Convert back from SDI to HDMI so they could use a regular HDMI monitor. You can get a 1000' bulk role of RG6 SDI cable for about $375 or better http://www.ebay.com/itm/...&hash=item43d1d4b477

I would just buy a bulk role and make the length you need. BNC connectors are cheap. You can buy shielded audio cable in bulk and make that to length as needed. I run a USB webcam to our commentators and if I was 250' away, that would not work and I would just do without their camera.

You can get HDMI to SDI converters on ebay for $45. I have about 6 and they work great. While I love BlackMagic I would never pay the $300 price tag they have on the same converters. I also have 2 of the SDI to HDMI converter but I can't find where I bought them or how much they were.

Hope this is helpful.
HighViewSport  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:22:38 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Thank you all for the great feedback. Lots to work on. This has been really really helpful :)
Can I ask what models are these $45 dollar HDMI to SDI converters on ebay for $45. They sound perfect.
tdurhamjr  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 1:06:30 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
HighViewSport wrote:
Thank you all for the great feedback. Lots to work on. This has been really really helpful :)
Can I ask what models are these $45 dollar HDMI to SDI converters on ebay for $45. They sound perfect.

Here is the ebay link to the last 2 I purchased ($49 each). I don't know the brand but all 6 of mine are identical and work perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...eName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Thremir  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, November 4, 2014 3:05:59 PM(UTC)
Thremir

Man

Was thanked: 56 time(s) in 29 post(s)
HighViewSport wrote:

Bryan

As my own commentators isn't that reliant on 100% quality all the time, we really use Skype or Google Hangouts for all of our productions where they are on a remote location.

Just enable external and set up two computers (preferrably on the same network) with vMix Video as Input. This way, your casters could also determine what their monitor will show at all times using the "SetExternal2" shortcut over the Web Interface.

Cheers,
Håvard Njåstad
Njastad Webshop