logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

5 Pages<1234>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Nick Davidson  
#21 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 10:52:55 AM(UTC)
Nick Davidson

Groups: Registered
Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Very excited about the the advancements in this area!

We currently broadcast live auto racing.

We run 3 PCs, 1-vMix 4K for switching, 1-vMIx 4K for replay and the third captures the program output directly into adobe premier for on the fly edits.

The system is working GREAT! Some thoughts:

1. Support for replay Jog Wheel, something similar to http://www.bhphotovideo....amp;is=REG&A=details

2. Automatically synced clips for replay

3. We DO NOT like the idea of this being a sperate product like vMix Replay. Please keep it part of the whole product. This is because we have our 2nd. PC ready to act as a back up switcher in the event of a PC1 failure. Having this redundancy is wonderful and should be considered by all serious broadcasters.

4. Ability to mark IN and OUT points on the fly to tell vMix where a Replay would begin and end. Then vMix would only save the footage marked but it would instantly be available from all camera angles.

5. We would NOT want the current video Delay feature to go away. It is working good enough and I can easily throw 8 HD sources at it. We have a boat load of RAM (64GB) in each PC but it is working very good!

6. Need a more intuitive way of telling vMix where and on what hard drives to save the clips.

7. "WARNING - OFF THE WALL IDEA" what if the replay interface looked similar to a timeline you'd see in adobe premier or other NLE. You'd keep your finger over the MARK IN POINT key and tap it every couple seconds to set the start capture point. Once something happened, you'd wait till the action stops, tap the OUT POINT MARKER and the NLE looking interface would show the clips stacked just like adobe premiere would when you're editing. You could use the job wheel or drag the CTI over the clips to scrub through the replay and hit the space bar to start playing or use J K L like you would in most NLEs. Then upon play back you use shortcut keys to switch the camera angle. Overall, I like the idea of making things work similar to popular NLE's like premier. Seems like many replay operators are also editors and this may make things much more intuitive for them. We chose vMix over vid blaster because it look familiar to what we were comfortable with.

8. Sounds like you are moving more towards a replay system not so dependent on RAM. If this is true, will we run into issues with write speed on a single HDD or SSD? Would we have to go back to having 8 drives in each PC? Also, if the replay records the whole event, this will suck up a ridiculous amount of space with 8 cameras during a 4 hour broadcast.

9. I also love the idea of easily sharing a replay clip on FB, Twitter etc! This could be very valuable.

Overall, we are SO THANKFUL we've found vMix! This product is amazing.
thanks 1 user thanked Nick Davidson for this useful post.
lbgaus on 8/26/2014(UTC)
jkmakela  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2014 9:02:35 AM(UTC)
jkmakela

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Support for broadcast standard hd resolutions and refresh rates. Which means in Europe 1080 50i and 720 50p.

I suppose the 1080 50i is still not fully supported by vmix. Direct camera mixing yes but transitions, graphics and slow-motion seem to stutter a lot. Or am I doing something wrong? 720 50p works fine.

Correction: Now I have tested the vmix 14 and 1080 50i is supported well:

I did the first tests with vmix 14 and 1080 50i and it seems to work well. We use matrox vs4 for input and decklink mini monitor for out (sdi ). Text ticker runs smoothly, cube transition runs smoothly, live feed from camera runs smoothly, slow-motion/videodelay is fairly good (after some tuning with multicoder codec which affects also the video delay codec).

First I got poor results but the reason was BMD desk top video software where was selected "reduce flickering when video paused" or something like that. After I removed that check box - interlacing became perfect.

Stability tests not done yet.

Thank You Martin this was major update for us! Now I would call this really a broadcast software which is usable also in traditional tv-production etc....
admin  
#23 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2014 9:11:34 AM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4137 time(s) in 1488 post(s)
Have you tried vMix 14 Preview?
http://forums.vmix.com.a....aspx?g=posts&t=2656

A lot of work was put into providing better interlaced support.
Rinsky  
#24 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:26:14 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

Was thanked: 39 time(s) in 35 post(s)
Is it going to record in Mpeg2-TS (AVC) or just "normal" mpeg2?
melody  
#25 Posted : Saturday, September 13, 2014 6:05:10 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

hi martin,

what about a replay playlist where could be possible add extracts from all inputs based on specific seconds? (ex. camera1 - 30:25 to 30:35 , camera 2 - 30:25 to 30:35, program - 30:25 to 30:35) it would be very nice to see diferent angles of a single shot.

regards,

melody
www.espiritosanto.cc
HighViewSport  
#26 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:05:28 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Martin,

Is there any chance you would have a working version of this new replay plan by christmas? We have a client that wants replays in their semi finals and finals soccer season.

Thanks so much,
Bryan
tdurhamjr  
#27 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:51:22 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Was thanked: 23 time(s) in 21 post(s)
There should be some kind of short cut so that if a particular clip is selected and showing in the "Preview Window" that I could assign a shortcut key to rename that clip. That way I could bring the clip up in the preview window, hit F12, type my new name and hit enter.

That way when the announcers ask for a certain clip I can easily find it by name and que it up.
tdurhamjr  
#28 Posted : Thursday, September 18, 2014 9:53:35 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Martin,
We need some additional functionality in the playback of the delayed video feature and I think you could accomplish this without to much work on your part (easy for me to say since I am not a programmer).
1. I have a buffer of 20 seconds. As soon as a good play happens that is worthy of a replay, I will click the REC to stop the buffering.

2. I then que up the replay at the correct starting point (that could be 5 seconds back it could be 14 seconds back in time).

3. I then fade it over to live and it auto plays.

Here is the problem. When I click on on "RESTART, it begins at the beginning of the buffered video, NOT at the point where I qued it up before it went to the LIVE window.

I would recommend that you either 1) change the restart function to begin the replay at the point it began when it was moved from PREVIEW to LIVE. or 2) Make that a setup option so a person can have it either restart at the beginning or restart at the qued location when it transitioned to the live window.

Furthermore, if after the RESTART is pressed and the user moves the slider to a specific location, presses the Play button, clicking restart AFTER that point in time would replay the video from the new slider location.

Here is a real world example of why that is necessary.

The running back has an 8 second dynamic run that results in a questionable touchdown. You first que the delayed video back 8 seconds to see the whole play but now it is very questionable whether he got in the end zone or not.

So after I que the 8 second clip, I would grab the slider and move it back just before he crossed the end zone and I would replay the last second of video several times at, say 25% speed. If you have it designed the way I described above, after I moved the slider to a specific location (just before last second of video) I would just keep pressing RESTART and it would just keep playing that 1 second of video as many times as we need to view it. Then I would move back to live camera and save the clip :)

And to make this absolutely stunning, the SAVE function would give me the option to ONLY save the portion of the clip where I have the slider set at until the end (NOT the whole 20 second butter). If the last 3 seconds is all that is needed for the "highlight clip" then if I have my time slider set at the 17 second mark and click SAVE, it would only save from 17.00 to 19.98 in the saved clip. Later in the game when I want to show highlights, I don't have all the extra seconds and they are ready to just que up and play :)

I hope this makes sense.
sinc747  
#29 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 12:03:17 AM(UTC)
sinc747

Man
United States

Was thanked: 194 time(s) in 160 post(s)
I am concerned that if you try to please everyone* with the new Replay, it will be a fiasco. I think it will be impossible to please the one-man operator who wants a quick & easy replay, AND to please the professional who expects it to be a dedicated staff position due to the complexity and sheer CPU/HDD power needed.

Of course, you could do both... as two separate and distinct features/products. I would be willing to pay extra for the Professional Replay, but might expect that an easy one-man operated replay might be included in the base price of the version.

* everyone - novice broadcasters on one end to experienced broadcasters who are experts in professional instant replay systems.
admin  
#30 Posted : Wednesday, September 24, 2014 12:20:01 PM(UTC)
admin

Groups: Administrators
Man

Was thanked: 4137 time(s) in 1488 post(s)
Hi Guys,

Would just like to provide an update to say that while I can't always reply to everybody in this thread
your suggestions are extremely helpful and each one is being considered.

A few points worth mentioning:

* Video delay is not going away and will remain side by side with the new Instant Replay.

* Instant Replay is going to be a new addon for vMix 4K but it will be fully integrated into the existing software.
While a separate machine can be used, it is not necessary.

* I hope to keep the price of this addon as affordable as possible.
I will need to invest in significant resources and staff to ensure this feature is built to professional broadcast standards.

* The key minimum requirement will be a dedicated SSD just for the instant replay.
512GB can be found for under $300 USD these days, so not a big investment.

* The instant replay interface will likely take up most of the vMix window but can be hidden quickly.
There will be some quick shortcut keys available to one person operators to allow them to queue up events
without having to go to the interface at all.

* These shortcuts will be ReplayMarkIn, ReplayMarkOut and then ReplayAuto can be called to automatically begin playing the last
event and transition back to the live input when done.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

thanks 3 users thanked admin for this useful post.
imagebotique on 9/24/2014(UTC), Rinsky on 9/26/2014(UTC), fejorca on 9/27/2014(UTC)
Rinsky  
#31 Posted : Friday, September 26, 2014 9:35:32 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

That sounds really great Martin!

I think it would be really useful to have the option to detach the instant replay "module" from the main UI and put it on another monitor (just like the audio mixer).

In that case the one person operator wouldn't have to change the tabs and could handle things way faster.
And it would also make it possible to let 2 people work on the same machine, if your replay system actually works with a replay controller/jog wheel kinda thing.

I think that would be the best scenario to work with.

Btw: How many 1080p recordings would be possible at the same time with a single SSD? I mean speed-wise, not capacity-wise.

Keep up the good work!
bucsatul  
#32 Posted : Thursday, October 9, 2014 10:06:50 AM(UTC)
bucsatul

Hi Martin,

I'm a novice regarding any type of image processing software, including vMix. But I recently bumped into your software on the net, desperately searching for a piece of software that could serve my needs.

Just to cut the story short, I've been looking for the past 2 months for an instant replay system (for sporting events, soccer), for none professionals, as simple and as automatized as possible (no image editing person involved).

What I want to do: I want to install 3 cameras on a soccer field and offer the viewers instant replays based only on a single click (Mark-Out). Basicaly, when I click Mark Out, I need the software to playback to an output (TV screen) the last x seconds (time predefined by user) of each of the 3 cameras filming the live event, in order (from camera 1 to camera 3), first at normal speed, than in slow motion (slow-motion speed predefined by user) and loop this playback on that output until an other Mark Out key is pressed. All this process should be automatized with no human intervention.
All these small instant replay clips should be also saved to a hard-drive for later playback. I understand that I would need a a dedicated desktop with high performances for this job but I'm willing to invest in it.

Now, I have seen that you have this option of Video Delay in your vMix software, but can this be automatised in such a way as described above? Maybe through the new Instant Replay add-on?

All the solutions I've found assume an investment in hardware (mixers, software, etc) of over 10.000 USD, while I'm looking for something under 5.000 USD. Do you think it's doable with your software?

Please consider that I've read a lot of forums for sporting enthusiasts in Europe, and believe me that there are a lot of people looking for such a simple tool.

Sorry again for my "non-professional way" of explaining things but I'd like to believe that I've found the right tool to do the job.

Thanks,

Emil.
bucsatul  
#33 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2014 3:29:49 PM(UTC)
bucsatul

Hi Martin,

Is there a chance to have the new Instant Replay add-on ready by end of the year?

Will you have some kind of way to automatise the entire process of replaying (normal speed and slow motion)and saving the instant replays from several live inputs? Everything based only on one click (Mark Out).

Thanks and waiting your reply.

Regards,

Emil.
Rinsky  
#34 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 3:59:30 PM(UTC)
Rinsky

The new replay system also needs to have Bob deinterlacing.

I still haven't figured out if there is a way to use Bob with the current replay system and fast motion just looks soooo shitty with Blend.
HighViewSport  
#35 Posted : Friday, October 17, 2014 11:12:04 PM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Martin,

Just curious. When will you be starting work on this new exciting replay version?
Thanks so much. Really enjoying my recent upgrade to vMix 4K :)

Regards Bryan
rjmurdock  
#36 Posted : Tuesday, October 21, 2014 5:47:32 PM(UTC)
rjmurdock

Man

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Hi Martin,

I'm also very interested in the Replay option. I'm needing a little more time to go back than the current Video Delay's 10/20-seconds option can provide. Can this time be increased without sacrificing performance? Is there a multicorder workaround that would allow me to stop a current camera recording, restart it, and then bring up the recent file as an Input source? Can this be done by macros? If so, how do I create and implement "macros"?

RJ Murdock
EmeraldCoastTV.com
tdurhamjr  
#37 Posted : Wednesday, October 22, 2014 10:15:46 AM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

rjmurdock wrote:
Hi Martin,

I'm also very interested in the Replay option. I'm needing a little more time to go back than the current Video Delay's 10/20-seconds option can provide. Can this time be increased without sacrificing performance? Is there a multicorder workaround that would allow me to stop a current camera recording, restart it, and then bring up the recent file as an Input source? Can this be done by macros? If so, how do I create and implement "macros"?

RJ Murdock
EmeraldCoastTV.com

RJ,
When you add the Video Delay input you can change the delay time up to 2 minutes (120 seconds). I would not think this is affecting performance even though it is increasing the file buffer size. The video delays work really nice once you get the hang of how to use it. We do constant instant replays during the sporting events but it took me a little bit to get the hang of it. I am now trying to save any "great" Instant replay clips and that is where I am running into a little bit of an issue. I am running SSD drives with a 20 second replay buffer. It still takes longer than I would have thought to save the clip and I can miss recording another replay.

We are running 2 cameras for actual sport footage. One generally stays zoomed out for complete field coverage and the other is zoomed in following the ball to capture good replay footage. I will stop recording as soon as a good play happens, bring it to preview, que it up to the correct starting point and switch it to live.

What would be AWESOME is if the "starting point" of the replay was kept when it moves to live so that if I want it to loop back and play one more time, it would go back the correct starting point. As it is you either have to manually move the slider back (which the viewers are seeing) or go back to preview, que it, then back to live one more time for a second viewing.

If it is a good clip that you want to save, you have to click the SAVE button but you can not start recording again until the save is complete. This is another problem because the time to record could keep you from recording another great play while it is saving.

I suppose a possible workaround is to bring in to "delayed video" windows of the same camera view. If I stop one to que up the replay, the other "delayed video input" is still recording to capture yet another good replay action. I will try that this Friday and see how that goes :)

Tim
thanks 1 user thanked tdurhamjr for this useful post.
rjmurdock on 10/25/2014(UTC)
bucsatul  
#38 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2014 8:44:53 PM(UTC)
bucsatul

Hi Tim,

It would be interesting to find out if you managed to get a workaround the issue of not missing a good replay while saving the last instant replay. Can you give us a feedback?

Can you start two Video Delays for the same input?

Thanks,

Emil.
tdurhamjr  
#39 Posted : Sunday, October 26, 2014 9:33:33 PM(UTC)
tdurhamjr

Emil,
You can only capture a source once for "delay" or "instant replay" (You can have multiple "delay inputs", each one is just from a different source). However, the vMix OUTPUT is one of the sources. So, if the video delay is of camera 1 and you are saving it, you can still capture the current camera one by using the Delay Capture of "vmix output". If Camera 1 is the "live camera" (also the vMix output), then it can still be captured thru the "vMix Output Source". For High School football I think this is adequate.

I am building a new PC that will be out main vMix console. I also upgraded to the Multicorder. After I get it built then we will do more testing on what can be done with recording and replays. I will most likely use the existing PC for recording multiple cameras (at least 2) if it will work ok. I purchased the vMix Telestrator from Njastad (a user here on the forum) but I have no idea how it works or how well it works. It was only $15 so nothing lost if it does not work well. My goal is to start letting the commentators run their own "instant replays" so they can que it up, telestrate on it, and then play it. That replay handled on the "commentator vMxi" would become another input for the "streaming vMix".

Oviously I will have to do some real world testing to see how and if it will really work well. With replays, commercials, and multiple cameras, and player overlays, it is already difficult to keep it error free :) Take care.

Tim
bucsatul  
#40 Posted : Monday, November 24, 2014 6:45:26 AM(UTC)
bucsatul

admin wrote:
Hi Guys,

Would just like to provide an update to say that while I can't always reply to everybody in this thread
your suggestions are extremely helpful and each one is being considered.

A few points worth mentioning:

* Video delay is not going away and will remain side by side with the new Instant Replay.

* Instant Replay is going to be a new addon for vMix 4K but it will be fully integrated into the existing software.
While a separate machine can be used, it is not necessary.

* I hope to keep the price of this addon as affordable as possible.
I will need to invest in significant resources and staff to ensure this feature is built to professional broadcast standards.

* The key minimum requirement will be a dedicated SSD just for the instant replay.
512GB can be found for under $300 USD these days, so not a big investment.

* The instant replay interface will likely take up most of the vMix window but can be hidden quickly.
There will be some quick shortcut keys available to one person operators to allow them to queue up events
without having to go to the interface at all.

* These shortcuts will be ReplayMarkIn, ReplayMarkOut and then ReplayAuto can be called to automatically begin playing the last
event and transition back to the live input when done.

Regards,

Martin
vMix

Hi Martin,

I'm sure a lot of forum users are eagerly waiting your news concerning the new addon for Instant Replay.

Can you please give us a feedback on when you hope to be launched?

Thank you.

Emil.