logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thecloudmediagroup  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 30, 2014 2:55:08 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
Hey Everyone,

Thought it would be great for people to post a photo and/or description of your vMix hardware/production setup. I know how we set our systems up but thought it would be nice to see how everyone else is using vMix in their environment.

Here are some photos of our production booth at our church. We normally have 2-3 people in the production booth as well as a camera man and sound engineer in the sanctuary. Our booth is completely separate from the sanctuary with a large window into the sanctuary.

We are using desktop capture for our projection computer feed and 2 DeckLink Mini Recorders and an Intensity Pro for our camera capture. We also periodically use Ableton Live to synchronize our music to our camera cuts using Midi-Keystroke converter to trigger vMix. We also use Ableton live to trigger our lights.

Computer: i7-4770k (3.9ghz)
Camera 1: Sony HDR-CX900
Camera 2: GoPro Hero 3+ Black Edition (Drum Camera)
Camera 3: Canon HF-R20
Projection Software: EasyWorship
Audio Processing: Behringer x32 (32 channel multitrack live Pro Tools 11 session)
HDMI Splitter: OREI HD-108

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage
ceejay7777  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 12:48:48 AM(UTC)
ceejay7777

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
thecloudmediagroup wrote:
Thought it would be great for people to post a photo and/or description of your vMix hardware/production setup.

A more modest set-up ...

UserPostedImage

Dell VOSTRO 200 (2GHz) 4GB RAM Windows XP
Nvidia GTS 240 1GB video card
Osprey 440 4-channel SD capture card
Echo Mia-midi audio card
2 Panasonic DVC Pro 200 cameras
Panasonic WJ-AVE5 vision mixer (used for talkback)
Behringer MX1604A audio mixer

Currently producing a weekly variety series for broadcast. Recorded in vMix as DV widescreen.

Promo (AE) https://vimeo.com/97633318
HWL1223  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 2:13:09 PM(UTC)
HWL1223

Man

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 6 post(s)
UserPostedImage

Typical "run & gun" streaming project for us....Citgo wanted to stream Dr. Robert Ballard http://www.nautiluslive.org/ giving a lecture in their Houston center on Earth Day, so their offices and refineries around the world could watch. Fascinating and inspirational talk!

Today's rig was a custom Shuttle i7 box with Blackmagic and Avermedia capture cards, streaming out to Netbroadcasting.tv (CDN) via the Adobe Flash encoder at 1.4Mbps in SD (for re-projection). Audio and video was fed by their in-house AV team. Additional capture was off the in-house projection system; we're piggybacked through an Atlona anything to HDMI capture/scan converter box.

Playback confidence through the laptop. MP4 recording was made for backup, too.
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 2:32:37 PM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
Great pics guys!
It's wonderful to see vMix in action and be able feed off of one another's set ups and workflows...

And I don't mean to be picky, but isn't this what the "Showcase" section was designed for?

Ice
thecloudmediagroup  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:08:15 PM(UTC)
thecloudmediagroup

Man
United States

Was thanked: 78 time(s) in 43 post(s)
IceStream wrote:
Great pics guys!
It's wonderful to see vMix in action and be able feed off of one another's set ups and workflows...

And I don't mean to be picky, but isn't this what the "Showcase" section was designed for?

Ice

I debating posting this in the Showcase. However I found it to be more about a hardware/configuration setup more than a production showcase. It can be moved if needed :)

-Seth
Nick Davidson  
#6 Posted : Friday, July 4, 2014 8:39:16 PM(UTC)
Nick Davidson

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
I'll try to take some decent pics of our setup this saturday at the race track but here goes:

3 PCs

PC1 running vMix 4K, dedicated for switching and live streaming, ISO capture of up to 7 inputs (currently 5 at 720p60): i7 4930K (overclocked) 64GB of RAM, (2) BMD quad Decklink capture cards and (1) Intensity Pro Capture Card and GTX 660 3GB GPU. Lots of hard drives, 128GB SSD for the OS, Windows 7 Professional

PC2 running vMix 4K, dedicated for instant replay and backup switching if PC 1 goes down: i7 4930K (overclocked) 64GB of RAM, (2) BMD quad Decklink capture cards and (1) Intensity Pro Capture Card and GTX 660 3GB GPU. Lots of hard drives, 128GB SSD for the OS, Windows 7 Professional. This PC feeds it's program output (desired instant replay) to PC1.

PC3 running Adobe CC, dedicated live capture and real time editing PC. This PC has a decent GPU, 8GB of ram and an i5 processor slightly overclocked. This PC captures the program output from PC1 in real time via adobe premier and a BMD mini Ultrastudio capture device over thunderbolt. At the end of the night, the races are done! Time to export deliverables.

We are running 4 Canon XA25s, a couple Go Pros and any other cameras we toss in the mix.

HUGE THANK YOU TO Tom Sinclair for building the first two PCs and selling us vMix. Great guy and AWESOME support! He really helping me get my feet under myself. We've learned so much and are now producing a nice live production!

I have a great crew that makes the magic happen and the root is vMix!

thanks 1 user thanked Nick Davidson for this useful post.
sinc747 on 7/14/2014(UTC)
jose7  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 6, 2014 7:13:33 PM(UTC)
jose7

How could you use the GoPro Hero to stream directly to a PC?
Nick Davidson  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 7, 2014 7:59:19 PM(UTC)
Nick Davidson

Man

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
jose7 wrote:
How could you use the GoPro Hero to stream directly to a PC?

Not sure I fully understand this question but for us, we have a gopro that sends video out the HDMI port and goes to an HDMI to HD/SDI convertor. The HD/SDI line goes up to the broadcast booth. This GoPro is mounted to the wall of the race track for that cool, low fast, fly by shot.

We also send wirelessly using either a Teradek or SD video TX.
thanks 1 user thanked Nick Davidson for this useful post.
jose7 on 7/9/2014(UTC)
HighViewSport  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, July 8, 2014 3:09:04 AM(UTC)
HighViewSport

Man

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Hi Nick, Look forward to some photos of your setup.
I am curious, Do you use a video hub to get video into pc1 and pc2 at the same time?

Also, Why use PC when you could take recording from pc 1, drag files into premiere and you're away or am I missing something?

Sounds like a very impressive setup though :)

Cheers
Bryan
jose7  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 11, 2014 11:04:49 AM(UTC)
jose7

I am a newbee in these areas. I have a Sony Vaio Laptop IntelCore i3. I connect a Sony Handycam HC-40 via Firewire through an Express card slot in the laptop. I want to be able to use another camera. I don't like how usb connected cameras video looks (through A/V conventional outputs). Can you give some tip?
fordry  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 17, 2014 3:23:19 AM(UTC)
fordry

Was thanked: 12 time(s) in 12 post(s)
Here is our configuration at my church:

3 Sony HXR-NX5U Cameras
2 BMD ATEM TVS (one for video mixing and the other is for our IMAG)
1 Vmix PC (C2Q 6600 overclocked, BMD Decklink Mini Recorder)
1 ATEM control PC
1 IMAG/ATEM PC
1 Soundcraft Spirit Live 24 mixer board receiving house feed and a few other feeds including a couple rafter mics (Dream is to sometime duplicate all mic channels and do a separate audio mix for video)

So we use the ATEM's for running all the camera switching and IMAG control. One primary reason for using an ATEM for IMAG was smooth fade in/out. Also have several channels to switch between so it provides a way to seamlessly transition. We went with an ATEM instead of Vmix for actual camera switching out of the fear of depending on a single PC to never hiccup or worse during a broadcast as well as keeping latency to a minimum for IMAG (we have perhaps only a frame or 2 of latency out of the projectors with the video going from cameras to ATEM1 to ATEM2 to projectors, its very good). The ATEMs seem to be rock solid and even if the control computer goes down, another is available to keep things running (for those unaware, the ATEMs don't need a computer to run, just need something to send them the commands, generally a computer).

Vmix comes in as our streaming and recording controller. We put titles on in Vmix, run recorded programming to fill gaps in the live program, record the service for DVD distribution/archive as well as web archive accessible on our site, and stream the service live, all out of Vmix. It is the perfect solution for this use and we are more than happy with it. If IMAG isn't a concern I think Vmix is superior in value and straight up superior all around to everything else on the market that is anywhere near it in price. So many fantastic bells and whistles that work well and a defined changelog to see what changes have been made as updates roll out (as opposed to BMD's infamously vague changelogs... "Many bugfixes and enhancements".
getwise  
#12 Posted : Sunday, October 5, 2014 9:15:02 AM(UTC)
getwise

5 computers, 3 servers, 10 monitors, 5 mics & booms, 5 headsets, 3 sit down stations, 1 stand-up production station, 10 cameras for insides and outside the studio, 2 soundboards and on and on and on, all chatting with each other within the intranet ready to stream to the internet. A never ending process of learning something new. Thanks for vMix making it all come together.

Basic Specs for production pc:
AMD Phenom II (Black Edition)
16GB DDR3
HD Radeon 7950
osprey 440

UserPostedImage
UserPostedImage