logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wjnesbitt  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 11:50:47 AM(UTC)
wjnesbitt

Groups: Registered

Hello. I'm working on a project where I am using the chroma key function of the software.
I am connecting a Canon T3i through an Intensity Pro card. The video input looks great and it does a great key.
The only problem is that the input shows a black frame. This happens regardless of what resolution I place the camera in.
I can zoom in and "hide" the black frame so it appears fullscreen, but that messes up the effect I'm trying to get of having the subject appear they are on a stage. It makes them larger which means I would have to move the camera further back to compensate...and I don't have that much space on location to do move that far back.

My question is how can I remove the black frame from appearing around the edges of the display and have it appear fullscreen. This works with my other camera (Panasonic PV GS320) but the quality isn't as good as the t3i, plus there's more of a lag to compensate for.

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
richardgatarski  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 19, 2014 4:57:12 PM(UTC)
richardgatarski

Was thanked: 292 time(s) in 246 post(s)
I am not an expert, just remembering some DSLR issues I ran into a couple of years ago before I decided to skip them (for live streaming use).

First thing was heat problems when shooting video for longer times (than a few minutes). Guess newer models have fixed that.

Second was that they did not provide a "clean feed" on their HDMI out. Regarding this, which might be your issue, see http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/HDMI_Output
thanks 1 user thanked richardgatarski for this useful post.
wjnesbitt on 9/22/2014(UTC)
IceStream  
#3 Posted : Saturday, September 20, 2014 8:35:29 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ wjnesbitt

Are you able to use the crop feature within vMix to crop out the black frame of the image you are keying?

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
wjnesbitt  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 2:07:15 PM(UTC)
wjnesbitt

richardgatarski wrote:
I am not an expert, just remembering some DSLR issues I ran into a couple of years ago before I decided to skip them (for live streaming use).

First thing was heat problems when shooting video for longer times (than a few minutes). Guess newer models have fixed that.

Second was that they did not provide a "clean feed" on their HDMI out. Regarding this, which might be your issue, see http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/HDMI_Output

Thanks Richard Gatarski. I did some research and you're right. It looks like I may be stuck with the frames. Guess I should have done more homework on this. That's what I get for going the "cheaper" route. Oh well. I will do my best to make the best of it. Thanks for your input.
wjnesbitt  
#5 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 2:08:23 PM(UTC)
wjnesbitt

IceStream wrote:
@ wjnesbitt

Are you able to use the crop feature within vMix to crop out the black frame of the image you are keying?

Ice

I will give that a shot, IceStream. Don't know why I didn't think of that before when it was right there with the zoom features I had been playing with. Thanks for the reminder. I will test that out today.
TVIason  
#6 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 3:15:13 PM(UTC)
TVIason

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
I use a t3i aswell. To get a clean feed you can use magic Lantern and turn off global draw on all modes.the black bars van be remobed as sad with zoom. Canon doesn't make the camera have a clean feed or a full hdmi output because they think their sells of the professional cams would go down. Also remember to not recorded while streaming as the output format will change and if I try to record then I can't get an image. Hope thuis will help you
thanks 1 user thanked TVIason for this useful post.
wjnesbitt  
#7 Posted : Monday, September 22, 2014 8:57:53 PM(UTC)
wjnesbitt

TVIason wrote:
I use a t3i aswell. To get a clean feed you can use magic Lantern and turn off global draw on all modes.the black bars van be remobed as sad with zoom. Canon doesn't make the camera have a clean feed or a full hdmi output because they think their sells of the professional cams would go down. Also remember to not recorded while streaming as the output format will change and if I try to record then I can't get an image. Hope thuis will help you

You're right. The crop and zoom features should serve me well. Thanks for the input.
At some point, I will upgrade to a different camera, but for now this works great.

What video settings do you typically use for the best quality?