logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thomaskloos  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:42:38 PM(UTC)
thomaskloos

Groups: Registered

I am trying to figure out how to do some green screen "editing" on a looping MP4 background. I have a green screen behind me, and I have the MP4 as an input and I have the camera image where I want it, but on the MP4 there is a TV screen with a green screen for chroma keying. I would like to have another input or even more that would allow me to insert videos or static screens in this virtual "tv". I cannot seem to figure it out.

You can see the MP4 file I started with on youtube.

Thanks!

...Thomas
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 12:25:52 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ thomaskloos

You mean to get something like this?

UserPostedImage

(This is a screen shot of what I did in vMix)
I'm not sure you'll be able to get the 'reflection' part easily figured out, but keying out the "screen" should be pretty straight forward.
The trick is to use multiple layers and effects and virtual inputs.
Key out the green "screen" of your mp4 input.
Create two Virtual Inputs of the image you want on the screen.
Mirror one of them.
Create a new "color" input (to use as your main effects input).
Set your mp4 BG as overlay 2 in Multi View effect of that new input.
Set the first Virtual input as overlay 1 and size to fit in BG screen (this is tricky and requires X-Y-Z manipulation).
Set the mirrored VI as overlay 3 and manipulate till it matches the reflection you want.
Key out your (talent) green screen input and set as overlay 4.

Have fun with it!

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
thomaskloos on 9/14/2014(UTC)
thomaskloos  
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 6:19:44 AM(UTC)
thomaskloos

This is exactly what Im trying to get, but I dont need the reflection since the tv screen will display an image or video depending on what Im discussing in the vidcast.

Is it possible to have the "virtual tv screen" be another input? in my case it will be the output from a laptop running MediaShout. So I will be using that as the input.

I guess this ends up being like a virtual set... I just didn't care for the one included.

I am a minister doing a vidcast on technology and how to use it in a Church's broadcast. So I wanted it to kind be a cozy setting but still look very professional.

Thanks Ice for your help!

...Thomas

IceStream wrote:
@ thomaskloos

You mean to get something like this?

(This is a screen shot of what I did in vMix)
I'm not sure you'll be able to get the 'reflection' part easily figured out, but keying out the "screen" should be pretty straight forward.
The trick is to use multiple layers and effects and virtual inputs.
Key out the green "screen" of your mp4 input.
Create two Virtual Inputs of the image you want on the screen.
Mirror one of them.
Create a new "color" input (to use as your main effects input).
Set your mp4 BG as overlay 2 in Multi View effect of that new input.
Set the first Virtual input as overlay 1 and size to fit in BG screen (this is tricky and requires X-Y-Z manipulation).
Set the mirrored VI as overlay 3 and manipulate till it matches the reflection you want.
Key out your (talent) green screen input and set as overlay 4.

Have fun with it!

Ice

IceStream  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:32:48 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ thomaskloos

The simple answer is: anything you use for your "virtual tv screen" will need to be an "Input" in vMix and can be used independently as such.
I am not familiar with MediaShout, but if you are bringing it into vMix as an input then it should work.
In my example, the cat is actually a green screened video overlayed onto a motion BG video, so there is lots of "green screening" and full motion going on in the effect.

Ice

BTW, I have plans to be in Nashville for my son's hockey tournament in October, any hints on the "must see" while there might be handy...
Len56  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 10:59:46 AM(UTC)
Len56

Man
United Kingdom

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 23 post(s)
I do this all the time, here's how:

1. add input and choose your video you want to use as a moving background.

2. add input virtual set and choose contemporary studio.

3. add input and choose your camera.

4. now to set up the background, go to virtual set contemporary studio and click on setup you will see (layer: backdrop), underneath click on input and select your video, go to your video you added and click play + loop and the video will play.

5. click on virtual set contemporary studio and click on the cog to edit it then go to position, overlay 1 and click on (reset all) and the video will resize to full size, then exit.

6. go back to setup on virtual set contemporary studio and click on layer: set and click on visible to make the set to disappear, then click on layer: talent the click on input to add your camera, then click on layer: table and click on visible to make the table disappear.

Now you have your virtual set working but you may have to resize the talent to make it fit the background by going back to (position) overlay 3.

Now save your preset.

I hope I have given you everything and it works for you.
thanks 1 user thanked Len56 for this useful post.
Bardos  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 11, 2014 1:55:38 PM(UTC)
Bardos

Groups: Guests
Man

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 13 post(s)
I did something very simple with a similar background....What I did.....I used the settings cog on my inputs, and selected multiview, and on the dropdown menus, (1 to 5), I selected an input for the green screen, and then selecting 'position' to adjust the image to fit into the green area....was quick and it looked pretty ok to me....

I also did another setup using the 'chromokey....I used the background video i wanted to fill the green area as '1' in the settings as above, the background with the 'green' area as '2', and keyed out the green.....I used auto key, and it worked fantastic.....all I had to do after that is to go to the 'posotion' setting on input '1', and adjusted until I got the video positioned how I wanted it.....works great..
thanks 1 user thanked Bardos for this useful post.
thomaskloos  
#7 Posted : Sunday, September 14, 2014 10:20:47 AM(UTC)
thomaskloos

Thanks everyone! I got it working thanks to your great help.

One of the problems I keep having is realizing that I need to setup an input for each resource. Like a PNG image or a Video. I came to vMix from the VidBlaster camp. In vidblaster you create an input that acts like a player. In the player you can create a playlist of videos, images, etc. This way you are only creating one input. Once I realized that I wasn't dealing with a player, it made it easier for me to understand.

I have MediaShout on a laptop, and I run the desktop capture software on it. I use mediashout to play the videos, show pictures etc in the virtual tv screen on my background.

Thanks again guys for your help! I appreciate it!

God Bless,
...Thomas