logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
endee  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2014 5:44:11 AM(UTC)
endee

Groups: Registered

Hi guys!

I've decided to enter the realm of Let's Play videos and am looking for a budget friendly solutions to video capturing with vMix.

From what I understand, "Black Magic Decklink Card" is the best option when it comes to price and performance, however I have a hard time understanding how much computing power I am going to need in order for everything to run smoothly. I am planning to buy a new laptop soon and my budget is around 900AUD. Can anyone suggest a nice model or perhaps tell me what to look for?

Thanks in advance! :)
IceStream  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 5, 2014 9:22:42 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
I'm not all that familiar with the "gaming" side of things, you may want to visit the "X-split" forum to get some ideas about what hardware others are using and what works best with your gaming system:

https://support.xsplit.c...orum/viewforum.php?f=106

Things to consider:
vMix is GPU intensive so you will need to make sure you are properly equipped there.
Streaming is CPU intensive so you'll need lots of power if you want to stream 60fps.

My initial feeling is that a sub US$1000 laptop may not be up to the challenge...

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
endee on 9/12/2014(UTC)
endee  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2014 7:51:57 AM(UTC)
endee

First of all, thank you very much for the reply!

I've bookmarked the link and will make sure to check it out later on.

To be honest, I'm a bit bummed out to hear that I need a 1000$ machine for that task; didn't really plan to spend that much :/

What do you think of this Asus?
Seems pretty powerful to me, although I guess you never know until you try it out with the software, huh?
IceStream  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2014 8:44:59 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 501 time(s) in 470 post(s)
@ endee

Didn't mean to bum you out 'mate', a lot depends on exactly what you want to accomplish and how much stress you want to put on your system.
Just about any of "today's" computers will work with vMix, I'm sure you've checked out the supported hardware page:

http://www.vmix.com.au/supported-hardware.aspx

It's just a matter of how complex and "smooth" you need your 'webcast' to be.
The nice thing with vMix is you can "build" as you go, adding hardware as you are able to improve your production.

The Asus specs look good, I would be inclined to consider "expandability" though, does it have Thunderbolt?
How are you planning to capture your 'Inputs'?
Before you get too far ahead of yourself, What do you have now to experiment and test with?
It might give you some good insight as to how much "power" you really need.

Ice
thanks 1 user thanked IceStream for this useful post.
endee on 9/12/2014(UTC)
TVIason  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 9, 2014 10:55:37 AM(UTC)
TVIason

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 8 post(s)
If you don't need to move a lot then I'd go with a computer as it's more easily to buy and inswert capture cards in fort example pcie slots. Also most of The time, especially if you build your own machine, it's much more powerfull for the same price of a laptop. Last point is that hou van easily upgrade your computer tot future use.
thanks 1 user thanked TVIason for this useful post.
endee on 9/12/2014(UTC)
hogwam  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 10, 2014 9:49:52 AM(UTC)
hogwam

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
If you're wanting to play pre-prepared video content you really need to consider putting that content on an SSD.
The drive needs enough space to accomodate all the video to be played, however you could use a traditional HDD to store the bulk of the video library and then copy the files needed to SSD before you go live.
My setup has a cheap 120GK Kingston SSD as the system disk and to store the few pre-rec vids for playback on, with a 4TB SSD to store & capture everything else.

For a portable system a really good way is to make up a lid-hinged flightcase, with the monitor fastened to the lid, and small form-factor PC in the base plus any other stuff you need (like capture devices) velcro'd down so that they're easliy removed.
Yeh that might be a bit heavier than a laptop in a bag, but sit it on a music keyboard stand at your broadcast location and you've instantly got a sturdy table with everything you need in the flight case
thanks 1 user thanked hogwam for this useful post.
endee on 9/12/2014(UTC)
endee  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2014 3:38:01 AM(UTC)
endee

Thanks guys! I gotta admit I am pretty overwhelmed with the amount of things to consider, but as of now I think I will get a desktop PC. Not as portable (haha) but I will be able to customize it (thunderbolt and other inputs). With a laptop I will be stuck with what I have with only a few modding options. Better start researching :D
Jackster  
#8 Posted : Friday, September 12, 2014 4:24:19 AM(UTC)
Jackster

Man

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Home theatre PC cases are small, can get a lot of power into a small area to with a quite a few inputs.
thanks 1 user thanked Jackster for this useful post.
endee on 9/13/2014(UTC)