logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dodgepong  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2014 5:15:53 PM(UTC)
dodgepong

Groups: Registered

Hello,

Apologies if this is a fairly obvious thing and I'm missing it. I have an input (a directshow source) that I would like to delay by several seconds to sync with an RTMP input. RTMP, of course, has some natural delay with it, and I want to delay the directshow input, which is in realtime, to sync with the RTMP input. The sync doesn't have to be perfect - it probably can stand a second or two of tolerance.

I know vMix has the "Video Delay" feature, which I have used for instant replay with great effect. However, I can't seem to find a way to take a given input and apply a constant delay to it, either with the Video Delay input, or with another means. Perhaps I'm just missing something, or such a feature is impractical, but if it's possible, could someone let me know how to do it?

Thanks!
dodgepong  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, August 5, 2014 6:43:05 PM(UTC)
dodgepong

Nevermind, I finally figured it out.

The issue I was running into with the video delay source was that the output of the video delay was always showing the real-time video, and not something delayed. To show something delayed, you have to adjust the playback scrubber back in time. The scrubber defaults to the "end" of the delay, so it shows things in real time. I did not realize that until just now as I was playing around with it more.
lbgaus  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2014 3:26:56 AM(UTC)
lbgaus

Was thanked: 19 time(s) in 14 post(s)
vMix also has a delay feature independent of the instant replay-style video delay inputs. Add a capture input, go to settings, advanced. There you may choose how many frames vMix will keep in a rotating buffer.

We use this for a profanity filter, but it could just as easily work for you to delay a video source to match another. Can I ask why you're using an RTMP input though? Seems like the lag would be a unpredictable value each time the RTMP connection was made upon loading of vMix, and rebuffering of that RTMP input would mess up your sync.
dodgepong  
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 21, 2014 3:10:49 AM(UTC)
dodgepong

I'm doing tournament broadcasts of the game Hearthstone. Unfortunately, Hearthstone does not have any sort of way to spectate a game from within the game itself, and tournaments are often done online and not in-person. The only way to see both player's perspectives is for them to stream their perspective to a private RTMP server, which I then add as an input into vMix.

It is far from an ideal situation, but as far as I know, there's not a better way for the players to broadcast their perspective to me in a way that is easy for them to set up and easy for me to incorporate. The real solution is for the game to include a spectator mode.