logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hidavid  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2024 10:32:58 PM(UTC)
hidavid

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)
I'm trying to achieve the following and maybe the solution is right in front of my face:
- Produce a show for stream + for local audience

- Stream gets Graphics, PPT, Cameras and Zoom PiPs -> (External) Output 1
- Local Audience get Graphics, PPT and Zoom PiPs -> External Output 2

Now my ideal setup would be choosing the input in vmix so it is in preview and then be able to send it to Out 1, Out 2 or Both. Using a Mix Input would be a solution but those don't play videos = not working.
When i just sync Out1 and Out2 they stay in sync, but idealy i could for example send a Intro Video to both Outs, then a Image, then send Cam+Slides in a PiP to the Stream and only send Slides to the local Projector Output. I think something like a function that reads which input is in PVW and then sets this as output 1 or two would probably do the trick but i haven't been able to set this up with shortcuts or companion.

I could bring in a Hardware switcher for the Camera Switching Part but idealy I could build this setting in VMIX and have it run via Companion so there's less parts involved. Anyone has a good idea or is my request not clear enough?

Thank you!
dmwkr  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2024 10:48:10 PM(UTC)
dmwkr

Was thanked: 127 time(s) in 116 post(s)
I'm usually working with OnTransition triggers, eg. when you transtion the PiP to Mix 1, trigger a cut of the slides to Mix 2. You can also add the "Output" input for use in Mix 2, to make things easier if you have a lot of inputs.
hidavid  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 24, 2024 11:17:50 PM(UTC)
hidavid

That is a good solution as long as you don't have too many items that are linked together or things are not added on the fly. but already when i have two ppt inputs and two different pips it gets complicated, no?
nikosman88  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2024 12:24:36 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Was thanked: 66 time(s) in 62 post(s)
Originally Posted by: hidavid Go to Quoted Post

Now my ideal setup would be choosing the input in vmix so it is in preview and then be able to send it to Out 1, Out 2 or Both. Using a Mix Input would be a solution but those don't play videos = not working.

Thank you!

This can be workaround by using triggers in companion. For example if the other mix input is not video you can use a trigger like above i attach
Screenshot_24-10-2024_171540_127.0.0.1.png (2,378kb) downloaded 1 time(s).
So when you send in the mix input pgm the video file and remaining time is bigger than 0 it will start play the video you setup in the action. Or you can use another variable like name or something like part of name,etc. If you go in companion in the section buttons-->variables-->vmix and allready you have a mix input exist,you can see all the variables you can use to automate the things.Not perfect solution but may with some imagination can help you to find your best solution
dmwkr  
#5 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2024 2:58:08 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

That is a good solution as long as you don't have too many items that are linked together or things are not added on the fly. but already when i have two ppt inputs and two different pips it gets complicated, no?

Everybody is different, I like to prepare things like this, less stuff to think about during the show. PiP-1 gets a trigger for PPT-1, PiP-2 gets a trigger for PPT-2. Intro video gets a trigger for setting Intro video to Mix 2.

As a backup, everything that is particularly for Mix 2, gets its own shortcut to send it directly to Mix 2.

Regarding

Quote:
Now my ideal setup would be choosing the input in vmix so it is in preview and then be able to send it to Out 1, Out 2 or Both.

What prevents you from doing it? Set up three shortcuts to send what is in preview to 1) Mix 1, 2) Mix 2 or 3) both. For my part, I see this as more complicated, as you have to click the right buttons in the heat of the moment. Preview PiP-1 send it to Mix 1, preview PPT-1, send it to Mix 2. With triggers you have to click the right buttons when you have time to do so. :)

Quote:
I think something like a function that reads which input is in PVW and then sets this as output 1 or two would probably do the trick but i haven't been able to set this up with shortcuts or companion.

And how does the script know whether to set it as output 1 or 2 or both?
nikosman88  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2024 5:04:49 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Originally Posted by: dmwkr Go to Quoted Post

And how does the script know whether to set it as output 1 or 2 or both?

I believe that somehow with pre-defined "keywords" can do in script. In companion we can set a word for example to do something like i attach. So if we need the input that is named in Vmix "NikosOutput1" to do the action to go to output1 we can do a trigger like the example. And so on. a trigger "output2","both" etc so vmix will understand what to do. I believe something similar can be done also with scripting
Screenshot_24-10-2024_22019_127.0.0.1.png (1,795kb) downloaded 0 time(s).
dmwkr  
#7 Posted : Friday, October 25, 2024 7:28:09 AM(UTC)
dmwkr

Originally Posted by: nikosman88 Go to Quoted Post

I believe that somehow with pre-defined "keywords" can do in script. In companion we can set a word for example to do something like i attach. So if we need the input that is named in Vmix "NikosOutput1" to do the action to go to output1 we can do a trigger like the example. And so on. a trigger "output2","both" etc so vmix will understand what to do. I believe something similar can be done also with scripting

Sure. What I wanted say (or trigger :) is, you have to prepare beforehand, no matter if you are using scripting, Companion or... triggers.
hidavid  
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2024 12:09:59 AM(UTC)
hidavid

Thank you all for the insightfull responses and good thoughts. I am still envisioning a solution that is less "manual" in preparing the routings behind the cuts, so I'm currently trying if i can make a shortcut in companion work that follows this vmix shortcut:

1. ActiveInput=0 Mix=1 -> Idea is to get the Input in PVW and send that to MIX2 (which is called MIX1 in the API, whatever)...
2. Then I'd have to add the Media - Playback Actions shortcut after this for it to work.

So far I haven't made it work in Companion but it works when i create the ActiveInput Shortcut in VMIX and assign it to a button so probably my fault somewhere along the way. Now if i could also do this to set the Input thats active in PREVIEW to the Preview of MIX2 that would be close to what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Sources:

nikosman88  
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 26, 2024 12:25:37 AM(UTC)
nikosman88

Greece

Now if i could also do this to set the Input thats active in PREVIEW to the Preview of MIX2 that would be close to what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

Sources:

Try this -->In the companion module there exist the command vmix:Input - Send input to preview. Then as input you set 0 and mix to go the mix 2.