logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bscarbrough1903  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2024 2:19:16 AM(UTC)
bscarbrough1903

Groups: Registered
United States

Over the last few months, I have been on a mission to improve our live stream quality at our church on YouTube. I've converted our cameras to use 1080p 60 fps and upped the bitrate to 13 mbps. It seemed that even if I sent a high quality image that YouTube would take my HEVC encoder settings and change to AVC1 resulting in blurry images. After a lot of research, I've adjusted my encode size to 2048 x 1152 with my HEVC encode format and set the preset to p5. This appears to trigger the VP09 codec, but I don't know if it will stay that way. We have less than 1000 followers, so that might be part of the problem. I am using the 1440p 60fps stream key in YouTube which seemed to fix some problems, but the quality would still downgrade.

Anyone else experience this issue?

Brian
mavik  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2024 3:05:59 AM(UTC)
mavik

Man

Was thanked: 168 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hmm, to me it sounds there are some missmatches. If your camera resolution is 1080p60 then there is no point in streaming in any higher resolution than that. 60fps could be another issue. Movement looks un-natural at higher fps, unless this is a wanted effect or you really have high movement. I would recommend 30fps. This has two things to consider. The camera chip has twice the time to expose an image. This means that you need less light or can close the iris more which is often reflected in amplification by x db compared to the 60fps.
Almost the same applies to streaming. 60fps needs twice the bandwidth than 30fps.
Please try a 1080p30 and step up the codec profile and bandwidth. This would have the most impact on quality. And please think of users with mobile devices attending your stream. Bandwidth and screen resolutions might be poor compared to computer screens.
h264 vs h265 is another topic to think about. You will get lower bitrates at the same encoding quality with h265 with the cost of encoding power and most impacting at the receiving side. The more you compress, the more you have decompress. Older devices might simply struggle with the load.
Bandwidth consideration can be understood in compression as well. The higher the bandwidth the less compression. Ideal would be no compression to receive exactly what you ingest. But that would mean at 1080p60 you would need 6 Gbps constantly. This is unrealistic. The less compression the less compression artefacts.

I hope this gives you a better understanding and a new approach to optimize your settings.
bpscarbrough  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2024 3:50:17 AM(UTC)
bpscarbrough

United States

Thank you for the quick response. Originally, I was streaming 1920x1080 30fps using H.264. I did that for a few years and wanted to see if I could improve the overall quality. With the release of vMix 27 and the ability to use HEVC and AV1 I switched to HEVC. I don't have an NVIDIA 4000 GPU, so HEVC (H.265) was as good as I could get. The 60 fps vs 30 fps really doesn't matter much in this context. This is a YouTube issue where they limit which codec gets utilized. I've read a lot on OBS forums where they think it's driven by anything 1440p and above getting the VP09 codec. There was a lot of talk of simply upconverting your 1920x1080 stream to 2048x1152 to trigger the VP09 codec. It's still 16:9 ratio and YT sees it as just Full HD. The live stream does indicate it's VP09, but after you stop the live stream it converts it to AVC1. I've read it seems to be based on volume to your channel. If you don't have at least 1000 followers you won't get the best quality no matter what you send. I really don't want to push more than 13 mbps to YT. Even with an NVIDIA 3070 GPU you have to be careful to not overload it. Ideally, I want to keep it below 60% utilization.

I have a lower res stream going to FB at the same time for cell phones.

I don't have any bandwidth limitations here. Our building has gigabit fiber up and down, so I never hit any limits in that regard.

We'll just switch back to 1920x1080 and live with it I suppose.