logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Heitzman  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2024 3:44:12 PM(UTC)
Heitzman

Groups: Registered

Hi,

I’ve got a particular workflow that involves a delayed overlay from a data provider.
So we vision mix on vmix pro and output PGM via NDI to another vmix HD machine.
Here I delay the NDI input by 5 seconds using the advanced tab on input settings (150 frames at 29.97fps)and add the delayed browser source but this doesn’t delay the audio coming in the same input.
I need to delay the audio separately in the Audio Settings. I would expect this setting to be 5000ms but it’s not. It’s like 5195ms and still doesn’t quite look in sync…
Is it possible to make this delay to both audio and video so they stay properly locked together?
Thanks
WaltG12  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2024 5:18:05 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
You forgot to explain what it is that you're trying to achieve.

Too often, people come here having already decided they know what their problem is, as well as how they need to fix it.

What they fail to understand is that a lot of people here have a lot of experience with the software and problem solving, in a way that makes them far more helpful if the entire situation is actually explained, rather than just asking how to help troubleshoot whatever you decided the situation is.

The framerate math for 29.97fps is messy enough before you even factor in the issues with NDI.

So I don't know what you're trying to do--because, again, you somehow forgot to mention it--but I do know that the way you're trying to do it is not the way you should do it.

The 2 delay options aren't meant to be used in unison. The video one isn't really meant to be used at all, except in very rare circumstances--that's why it's harder to find than the audio one.

If the audio and video are already in sync, the best advice is to not delay anything.

If neither are in sync, delay the one that's coming in faster to match.

Whatever else you're trying to achieve should be accomplished elsewhere.

Have you checked to see if the "Video Delay" input will help you do whatever it is that you're trying to do?
Heitzman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2024 5:24:13 PM(UTC)
Heitzman

Hi,

It’s a basketball stream.

My issue is my data provider sends my overlay on a 5 second delay so I must delay my PGM by 5 seconds to bring it in sync.

I looked at the video delay input but couldn’t really figure it out.

I did this method as I did not want to delay all my inputs on the main vmix machine as that would be a nightmare to cut.

I’m in a pal region and my cameras don’t do 30 or 60fps.
25 and 50 looks weird on YouTube as it insists on streaming at 60 I believe.

I can’t change the destination as it’s to the Leagues channel and that’s where the subscribers are.

Thanks.
WaltG12  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2024 5:53:29 PM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 32 time(s) in 29 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Heitzman Go to Quoted Post
I looked at the video delay input but couldn’t really figure it out.

I'm pretty sure it's a precursor to Instant Replay, which is another thing you may be able to try.

Originally Posted by: Heitzman Go to Quoted Post
My issue is my data provider sends my overlay on a 5 second delay so I must delay my PGM by 5 seconds to bring it in sync.

Is there any way to not do that? Either finding another data provider, not using an overlay, or just manually keying in whatever data you're overlaying?

Fixing a non-vMix problem at the source generally works better, in my experience, than trying to reverse engineer a solution within vMix.

If Instant Replay works, it's still just a crutch & one you should be trying to find a path away from.

If it doesn't, the only practical use case for something like this, outside of edge cases like yours, is a censor/dump button system.

That's probably what you'd have to look at, and there's a reason that they're generally dedicated hardware that's expensive as all get out (especially for video processing).
spinfold  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 23, 2024 4:36:25 AM(UTC)
spinfold

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Delay the audio by the same amount by pressing the cog icon next to the fader in the Audio Mixer window.