logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gre2gor  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2024 3:25:04 AM(UTC)
gre2gor

Groups: Registered
Slovenia

Was thanked: 17 time(s) in 6 post(s)
How could I log what a client sends to vmix via TCP API? I have a scoreboard reader that sends to vmix, but I do not know which fields are getting sent. I would want to know which GT text fields are required (name of the text field) like Clock.Text.
WaltG12  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2024 8:56:49 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 28 post(s)
By what mechanism is this software sending information to the API?

My understanding is that the TCP API is for requesting information from vMix and sending commands to vMix--not simply sending bare information for vMix to handle however it sees fit.

If it's using, say, the "SetText" function, then the parameters for that command would need to be set within the software sending the command.

Perhaps if you specify what software you're using, someone may be able to help you figure out what it's sending and where it's sending it, rather than this convoluted process of trying to reverse engineer what vMix is receiving.
gre2gor  
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2024 1:13:27 AM(UTC)
gre2gor

Slovenia

I read scoreboard data via rs485 to usb with raspberry pi. I decode messages and then I send that to vmix TCP API. No problem when my raspberry pi is used. The problem is when some other similar setups are used. I can logon, set my vmix ip, port and input number. But if I do jot know which fields are sent, hence why I would want somekind of a logger. Is there a way? Or only a wireshark and debugging?
WaltG12  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2024 7:23:34 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Originally Posted by: gre2gor Go to Quoted Post
I decode messages and then I send that to vmix TCP API.

You're still not saying how you're sending it to the API.

Are you sending it as a Function? If so, what Function & what are the parameters of that function?

As I previously stated, I'm unfamiliar with a behavior of the API where it analyzes and processes information on its own.

As far as I'm aware, it accepts specific commands, which it then acts on. No more, no less.

You keep focusing on trying to figure out what vMix is receiving, when it's the sending program that's in full control of that.

I'll, again, suggest focusing your attention on configuring the sending programWha, rather than trying to reverse engineer what vMix is receiving.

I can logon, set my vmix ip, port and input number.

Logon to what? Set what input number?

By what mechanism are you sending information to the API?
gre2gor  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2024 8:51:31 AM(UTC)
gre2gor

Slovenia

What I need is basically a reverse engineering. That is why I would need to see what vMix is receiving. Sure, TCP API accepts a function. If I use my own scoreboard reader which sends clock in format like:
Sent command to vMix: FUNCTION SetText Input=Scorebug&SelectedName=Time.Text&Value=19:17
Sent command to vMix: FUNCTION SetText Input=Scorebug&SelectedName=Time.Text&Value=19:16
Sent command to vMix: FUNCTION SetText Input=Scorebug&SelectedName=Time.Text&Value=19:15
Sent command to vMix: FUNCTION SetText Input=Scorebug&SelectedName=Time.Text&Value=19:14
Sent command to vMix: FUNCTION SetText Input=Scorebug&SelectedName=Time.Text&Value=19:13

The problem is that from the thirdparty solution I am not sure or know "SelectedName" value. It could be "Timer.Text", "timer.Text", ... whatever. That is why I would like to know if there is a way to see what is sent to vMix.
WaltG12  
#6 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2024 9:15:36 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

The problem is that from the thirdparty solution I am not sure or know "SelectedName" value. It could be "Timer.Text", "timer.Text", ... whatever.

Which is exactly why I've asked twice now what program you're using.

As I previously stated:

Originally Posted by: WaltG12 Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps if you specify what software you're using, someone may be able to help you figure out what it's sending and where it's sending it, rather than this convoluted process of trying to reverse engineer what vMix is receiving.

If you don't know if it's using SelectedName or SelectedIndex, nor what name/index it's using, your problem is that you have a poorly configured or unconfigured program, as no decent and legitimate program is filling in those blanks on its own, unprompted, unless it's also giving you the title files to match. If this is a legitimate program, there needs to be an option somewhere in it to set those fields.

So you have a problem that's best solved by figuring out how to properly configure the program, not by, as you seem compelled to keep coming back to, packet sniffing the vMix TCP API port and reverse engineering the titles.

If you can't figure out how to get whatever program you're using to work properly and consistently, other people here may have experience with that program and be able to help you.

But they can only do that if you actually specify which program you need help with.

I have no idea why you're being so cagey about this.