logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kmedia  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2024 1:50:47 AM(UTC)
kmedia

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Please consider a "Merge Transition Preview" feature.

When I have a scene in Program and another in Preview, I'd like to see what will happen when I do a Merge transition, BEFORE I trigger that transition in Program.

Example: I have two talent boxes on screen plus a lower third overlay and an motion graphic background. When a third person joins the show, I'd like to Merge transition from the 2-box to the 3-box scene. But I've accidentally arranged the layers incorrectly, so a Merge transition causes the two boxes to fly in the wrong direction and the new 3rd box to drop in from the top. Being able to preview the motion of the Merge transition would allow me to fix any errors before sending it to the broadcast.

I'm sure there are ways to do this by using a bunch of shortcuts and mix inputs, but it'd be helpful to have a built-in method.
elvis55  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2024 3:28:10 AM(UTC)
elvis55

Switzerland

Was thanked: 55 time(s) in 49 post(s)
WaltG12  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 12, 2024 6:06:22 AM(UTC)
WaltG12

United States

Was thanked: 31 time(s) in 28 post(s)
There's not any transition preview option in vMix--it's not really how the program is setup.

I do think it could be a good idea, even beyond Merges, to calculate proper fade durations without messing around with mix inputs.

I'm not sure, though, what exactly it'd look like.

Maybe right clicking the transition button puts the current output in preview then simulates the transition to the other previously selected preview? Something like the Overlay preview, but for transitions.

Hypohamish  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2024 12:48:01 AM(UTC)
Hypohamish

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
It just seems like an irresponsible way to run a show to be honest.

What show are you doing where a third person...just joins spontaneously? And why not build a layout in advance then if you know this kind of thing is on the horizon? Like, build a 2 up, 3 up, 4 up, etc, and have all your merges configured correctly. Then when people join, you just need to jump into an input and put people in the right places.
thanks 1 user thanked Hypohamish for this useful post.
doggy on 10/14/2024(UTC)
kmedia  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2024 12:24:50 AM(UTC)
kmedia

Man
United States

@Hypohamish In most cases, yes – it would be irresponsible if this wasn't prepped in advance. But my situation is unusual. The program that I produce is the in-house flagship show for a celebrity broadcaster. So when the host says live on air "hey Kaleb, I just got a text from *name of Presidential candidate*, can you put him up really quick?" it just needs to happen within seconds. I prepare everything in advance (all of the 2 up, 3 up, 4 up, 2up+media, etc – over 200 scene variations) but when there are quick changes while we're live, it would be useful (for the extra peace of mind) to be able to preview a transition before triggering it in program.

@WaltG12 Exactly. I can right click on an overlay number and see it in Preview. Something similar could happen when I right click on a transition button.
spinfold  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2024 3:15:16 AM(UTC)
spinfold

United Kingdom

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kmedia Go to Quoted Post
@Hypohamish In most cases, yes – it would be irresponsible if this wasn't prepped in advance. But my situation is unusual. The program that I produce is the in-house flagship show for a celebrity broadcaster. So when the host says live on air "hey Kaleb, I just got a text from *name of Presidential candidate*, can you put him up really quick?" it just needs to happen within seconds. I prepare everything in advance (all of the 2 up, 3 up, 4 up, 2up+media, etc – over 200 scene variations) but when there are quick changes while we're live, it would be useful (for the extra peace of mind) to be able to preview a transition before triggering it in program.

@WaltG12 Exactly. I can right click on an overlay number and see it in Preview. Something similar could happen when I right click on a transition button.

200 variations? Wow.

Here's what I do. I have *eleven* scenes - 2x single box, and then a 2-box, 3-box, etc all the way up to 8-box, and finally a 2-box with one large and one small, and a 3-box with one large and two small.

I then use mixes 2-9 to switch (usually at the start of the shown then leave them there) up to 8 people into a mix.

Then I use a Streamdeck and Companion to determine which mix should go into which box(es) - for example, mix 6 to 5-box middle.

This way I know exactly what my merges and transitions will do as I am only going between eleven different things, but with each box filled by an unlimited number of sources.

Happy to discuss more on PM if you need.
IceStream  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2024 3:08:17 AM(UTC)
IceStream

Man

Was thanked: 506 time(s) in 475 post(s)
@ kmedia

As alluded to by elvis55 above, you can "Preview" the Merge effect in a Mix Input and play it in the Preview screen:

Ice
SDKUCSS  
#8 Posted : Friday, October 18, 2024 8:08:28 AM(UTC)
SDKUCSS

United States

Have you tried to move the layers around? I have similiar boxes and I use merge all the time. Just go into the "layers" and right click the layer number and drag them so that (I'm working from memory now) you want the box that moves on, to be at a higher layer than the other boxes. Plus I'm pretty sure that you want the same imputs in the boxes. For example if you have a 2-box with inputs 8 and 9, make sure the three box has the same inputs (8 & 9) in the two boxes. That way when you merge, they should just move to the new position. But I suggest you play around with the layers and make sure your various box combinations have them on the same layer. It might be the other way around, but I'm pretty sure that the lower layers would have a lower priority, so that layer 5 is actually in front of layer 3.