logo

Live Production Software Forums

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
furtive  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2024 10:04:00 AM(UTC)
furtive

Groups: Registered
United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Here's the use case:

- User presses one button which creates two clips (one from Angle 1 for X seconds, and then a second clip from Angle 2 for a shorter duration)
- User presses another button to select & play those two clips back to back

However, I don't think the second part is... possible, with current vMix 27 shortcut functions. ReplaySelectLastEvent will indeed select the last event, but ReplaySelectPreviousEvent does not ADD to the selection: instead, it single-selects that previous event alone. The only multi-select shortcut function is ReplaySelectAllEvents as far as I can tell. And using that for my use case would require me to move all other clips from the current bin every single time I make clips which is... not a great solution.

The only other possible way to even technically accomplish this would be ReplayPlayEventsByID, but as I don't have a way of obtaining those IDs in external software (I'm working in Companion), I don't think that's possible either for my use case.

I'm posting here just to make sure I am not missing something in my Shortcut Function Reference adventures.
doggy  
#2 Posted : Thursday, July 4, 2024 3:30:58 PM(UTC)
doggy

Belgium

Was thanked: 942 time(s) in 778 post(s)
Originally Posted by: furtive Go to Quoted Post
Here's the use case:

- User presses one button which creates two clips (one from Angle 1 for X seconds, and then a second clip from Angle 2 for a shorter duration)
- User presses another button to select & play those two clips back to back

However, I don't think the second part is... possible, with current vMix 27 shortcut functions. ReplaySelectLastEvent will indeed select the last event, but ReplaySelectPreviousEvent does not ADD to the selection: instead, it single-selects that previous event alone. The only multi-select shortcut function is ReplaySelectAllEvents as far as I can tell. And using that for my use case would require me to move all other clips from the current bin every single time I make clips which is... not a great solution.

The only other possible way to even technically accomplish this would be ReplayPlayEventsByID, but as I don't have a way of obtaining those IDs in external software (I'm working in Companion), I don't think that's possible either for my use case.

I'm posting here just to make sure I am not missing something in my Shortcut Function Reference adventures.

Sounds like you want to play the last 2 events.
In this case one can (script) retrieve the <nextID> value from the replay2.xml (recording folder) and determin the last 2 id's to use in ReplayPlayEventsByID as a possible solution ?

creating the events to an empty list and do a play all from there and move them after the replay to a containall list might be an option to clear the firstlist again forthe next event captures
furtive  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 5, 2024 6:22:05 AM(UTC)
furtive

United States

Was thanked: 5 time(s) in 5 post(s)
Yeah, that's... kind of an insane amount of overhead for what amounts to a rather simple Mouse & Keyboard use case. I would really love to sit down with vMix development folks and help them understand how replay actually gets used by different projects/subject matters. The extensibility of vMix in general allows it to be adapted to punch WAY above its weight class against other solutions. And that just doesn't quite hold true for the replay portion specifically (which I think I can say after building & using Companion configs on ~100 shows with it).

I'm probably going to go the route of "move everything to another bin when clipping the new goal, and then play out all from current bin after making the two new clips"